Mousetick

I'm Walkin' Here (by Fudgyduff)

Discussion topic:
I'm Walkin' Here by Fudgyduff
Wiki Link

SKSE plugin with customizable JSON configuration.

QOL: Disables collision between player and NPCs so that they don't push the player or block narrow passages.

The description on the Nexus mod page is very short and rather vague:

Prevents NPCs from pushing you while YOU'RE WALKIN' 'ERE and having a chat with your friends :)

What this does exactly is disabling collision so the NPCs are no longer solid: they can walk through the player and vice-versa. They'll still get in your face while you're in a conversation, or clump together stuck in passageways. So it's not perfect, but it's much better than vanilla.

The following NPCs and situations are addressed:

• Disables collision while the player is in dialogue.
  • Disables collision between the player and their allies.
  • Disables collision between the player and their summons.
  • Disables collision between the player and their allies' summons.

Each of the above can be turned on or off via configuration settings (all ON by default).

If it's disabling collision, wouldn't that mean the NPCs walking through anything and everything that is in their path?

Collision is disabled only between you (the player) and the related NPCs. You and the affected NPCs continue to collide with everything else as usual, including affected NPCs among themselves (so if they're 2 followers stuck in a corridor for example, they remain stuck, but you can walk through them). And unaffected NPCs are not affected at all :)

Another example: you're in a conversation with an NPC, let's say Balgruuf. Any other NPC walking into you won't push you, they'll go through you, but the same NPC walking into Balgruuf will push him.

I don't know how the mod works its magic but it works quite well.

I don't play with followers typically in Skyrim, but this sounds useful for those who do, but probably more so for those who want to abuse the Ritual Stone.

I'd call this a 'fix' almost. Ideally, the damn chars wouldn't bump into other chars at all, but I guess the game/navmesh isn't smart enough for that.

No, the game isn't intelligence enough for that and I'm tempted to categorize this as a "fix" as well. I've been using some followers from Interesting NPCs and I found a couple of scenarios really aggravating: take a few steps down a narrow corridor and turn around to come back out but the path is blocked by a follower; in an active conversation and suddenly get shoved out of the scene by a follower. Fortunately it hasn't happened while I'm trying to take a long shot from the edge of a cliff or mountain yet.

Even if you play without followers, there are a few quests where the player is forcefully given a follower by the game, and this follower will stick with them everywhere until the quest is completed. Notably one especially annoying NPC whose name begins with S. She has a unique follower AI package which lets her sandbox and wander instead of staying put while the player is not in combat. For some reason she seems to like walking to and from the player a lot, bumping into the player on the way.

In conversation mode, collision is disabled between the player and any NPC, not just followers.

Playing in 1st-person and not seeing the player's body I don't mind the 'pass through' effect too much with this mod, but I reckon it may look strange and immersion-breaking in 3rd-person.

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

Even if you play without followers, there are a few quests where the player is forcefully given a follower by the game, and this follower will stick with them everywhere until the quest is completed. Notably one especially annoying NPC whose name begins with S. She has a unique follower AI package which lets her sandbox and wander instead of staying put while the player is not in combat. For some reason she seems to like walking to and from the player a lot, bumping into the player on the way.

In conversation mode, collision is disabled between the player and any NPC, not just followers.

Playing in 1st-person and not seeing the player's body I don't mind the 'pass through' effect too much with this mod, but I reckon it may look strange and immersion-breaking in 3rd-person.

This is very true, and I agree this mod sounds beneficial. 

I've been playing with this mod for almost a week. No issues that I can notice. This mod was great for a quest that includes two temporary followers. Mousetick mentioned this and I agree with the effectiveness of the fix. When the followers were in the way within small corridors and doors, I was no longer screaming at my monitor lol. My player character was able to pass through them and vice versa with ease. Very convenient.

The common aggravation of being run into by npcs when in conversation has not happened since installation so I cannot verify this change. 

I have been playing with summons and it is nice to just move through them after combat. 

I use this mainly for disabling follower collision they have an annoying habit of blocking doorways and narrow passageways they're not intelligent enough to move out of your way if you want to turn around/back. I'm not sure why bethesda/creation engine is so lacking in this regard I played games 15 years ago that had npc's that would move out of your way (and even apologise for it)

There was another mod Disable Follower Collision by Felisky384 that I was using before but this covers more than just follower collision and also that hasn't been updated for AE/1.6.x.x so I dropped it. No issues so far.

16 hours ago, z929669 said:

I'm voting for this one.

Sounds good to me.