Bunch of Missing String Errors

Arel

Question

Hey there, I am having bunch of missing string file error on SSEdit and when I searched online there isn't much but I guess I should be having a Strings folder inside the Data folder of Skyrim SE. I don't have anything related to strings in there so, I went to check the file integrity but I was guessing that wasn't going to work and it didn't as I guessed. I still don't have string folder and any string file. Can anyone upload their unmodified string folder for me?

And yes I've searched and I have only this mod page but it is for a lower version Skyrim SE v1.5.23

The log is attached, I have picked the parts where I have the missing string file errors and put them together.

SSEdit Log Errors.txt

Edit SOLUTION: add this "-l:English" command line argument to the shortcut of the SSEdit and/or xLODGen. If you are using MO2 add same argument through "Modify Executables" menu.

Edited by Arel

31 minutes ago, Arel said:

I think my OS language kind of tricked the xEdit and xEdit read the language info from my Skyrim.ini as "englısh" instead of "ENGLISH". Changing it to English manually with the command line arguments did the trick. I've applied the same thing to the xLODGen and it also fixed the Occlusion.esp generation process. I'll edit the op and add the command line that worked and how to implement.

@Mousetick @z929669

Thank you both, I really appreciate that

That does make sense. Thanks for letting us know.

1 hour ago, Arel said:

I think my OS language kind of tricked the xEdit and xEdit read the language info from my Skyrim.ini as "englısh" instead of "ENGLISH". Changing it to English manually with the command line arguments did the trick.

Ok, thanks. I'm still not convinced your OS language is the direct cause, as xEdit doesn't use it for setting the language. xEdit only uses the language setting from Skyrim configuration files or from the command line if specified. Could you please post your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimCustom.ini (if it exists) from your 'Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition', folder as attachments.

Using the command line option is fine as a workaround, but you may still have something wrong with your Skyrim configuration files, which could cause other issues elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Arel said:

I've applied the same thing to the xLODGen and it also fixed the Occlusion.esp generation process.

The same command line option applies to the TexGen, xLODGen and DynDOLOD tools. They're all built "on top of" xEdit.

• +1 1

If you are using Mod Organizer, I suggest using the INI Editor  (click the next to last button in the toolbar at the top right and click INI Editor). I suggest doing it this way because your INI files may be storing in your profile if you have "Use profile-specific game INI files" checked. In any case, this pulls the exact INI files your are using in this profile so you don't have to hunt for them.

17 hours ago, Mousetick said:

Ok, thanks. I'm still not convinced your OS language is the direct cause, as xEdit doesn't use it for setting the language. xEdit only uses the language setting from Skyrim configuration files or from the command line if specified. Could you please post your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimCustom.ini (if it exists) from your 'Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition', folder as attachments.

Using the command line option is fine as a workaround, but you may still have something wrong with your Skyrim configuration files, which could cause other issues elsewhere.

The same command line option applies to the TexGen, xLODGen and DynDOLOD tools. They're all built "on top of" xEdit.

Here it is. In my language we have a letter "ı" and it is the lowercase version of "I" the encoding should've changed it to "i" while reading but it wasn't doing that for tome reason and it read the word as "englısh" so that's why I think it is because of my OS but I can't be %100 sure of course.

17 hours ago, Greg said:

If you are using Mod Organizer, I suggest using the INI Editor  (click the next to last button in the toolbar at the top right and click INI Editor). I suggest doing it this way because your INI files may be storing in your profile if you have "Use profile-specific game INI files" checked. In any case, this pulls the exact INI files your are using in this profile so you don't have to hunt for them.

I am using Mod Organizer, I am also usually using BethINI to edit my ini file choosing the MO profile folder.

SkyrimPrefs.ini Skyrim.ini

2 hours ago, Arel said:

Here it is. In my language we have a letter "ı" and it is the lowercase version of "I"

Thanks. The Skyrim.ini you attached is valid, it contains sLanguage=english with a standard lowercase "i". I tried running xEdit with it and there is no issue, as expected.

Where exactly are you seeing your language's letter "ı"?

2 hours ago, Arel said:

I am using Mod Organizer, I am also usually using BethINI to edit my ini file choosing the MO profile folder.

Are you using profile-specific INI files in MO? As shown here:

image.png

If you are using profile-specific INI files, you need to look for Skyrim.ini, SkyrimCustom.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini in your MO profile folder. Click on the Folders menu in MO and select 'Open INIs Folder' to open a Windows Explorer window for that folder:

image.png

Then please post the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimCustom.ini files as attachments.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 9:06 PM, Mousetick said:

Thanks. The Skyrim.ini you attached is valid, it contains sLanguage=english with a standard lowercase "i". I tried running xEdit with it and there is no issue, as expected.

Where exactly are you seeing your language's letter "ı"?

In the xEdit log, xEdit receives it as "ı" instead of "i" for some reason.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:06 PM, Mousetick said:

Then please post the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimCustom.ini files as attachments.

Files are attached.

Now that I checked my skyrim.ini file in MO doesn't have that [General] part with the language. I wonder why. So that is probably why xEdit tried to input "english" but got "englısh" instead, at least that's what I'm guessing.

Skyrim.ini SkyrimCustom.ini

Edited by Arel

18 hours ago, Arel said:

Now that I checked my skyrim.ini file in MO doesn't have that [General] part with the language. I wonder why. So that is probably why xEdit tried to input "english" but got "englısh" instead, at least that's what I'm guessing.

Your Skyrim.ini does contain the [General] section, it's just further down in the file, past [Actor], [Archive], [Audio], etc. BethINI sorts sections and settings within each section alphabetically.

Everything looks all right. I guess it could be a bug in xEdit when it converts the language setting to lowercase, with your OS language, ENGLISH becomes 'englısh'. I'm surprised this is not a more widespread problem.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

Your Skyrim.ini does contain the [General] section, it's just further down in the file, past [Actor], [Archive], [Audio], etc. BethINI sorts sections and settings within each section alphabetically.

Everything looks all right. I guess it could be a bug in xEdit when it converts the language setting to lowercase, with your OS language, ENGLISH becomes 'englısh'. I'm surprised this is not a more widespread problem.

Oh I see, I thought it wouldn't work that way or something lol.

And yeah I too am surprised it is not a common problem.