Bunch of Missing String Errors

Arel

Question

Hey there, I am having bunch of missing string file error on SSEdit and when I searched online there isn't much but I guess I should be having a Strings folder inside the Data folder of Skyrim SE. I don't have anything related to strings in there so, I went to check the file integrity but I was guessing that wasn't going to work and it didn't as I guessed. I still don't have string folder and any string file. Can anyone upload their unmodified string folder for me?

And yes I've searched and I have only this mod page but it is for a lower version Skyrim SE v1.5.23

The log is attached, I have picked the parts where I have the missing string file errors and put them together.

SSEdit Log Errors.txt

Edit SOLUTION: add this "-l:English" command line argument to the shortcut of the SSEdit and/or xLODGen. If you are using MO2 add same argument through "Modify Executables" menu.

Edited by Arel

You need to search for the mod providing those references in xEdit.

Loader: <Note: SigurdBurialUrnRef [REFR:01900011] (places WRBurialUrn01 "<Error: No strings file for lstring ID 0000265A>" [CONT:000E4258] in GRUP Cell Persistent Children of WhiterunHalloftheDeadCatacombs "<Error: No strings file for lstring ID 0000EA7B>" [CELL:00094BAB]) was injected into Update.esm>

Then you need to look at those mods and their requirements. Post on that mod's topic if necessary.

If these are also DynDOLOD errors, so you should be posting on those forums, depending on the version you are using.

49 minutes ago, Arel said:

I should be having a Strings folder inside the Data folder of Skyrim SE.

Yes and No. The Strings folder is not visible in Windows Explorer. It's packed inside the 'Skyrim - Interface.bsa' and 'Skyrim - Patch.bsa' archives (similar to ZIP files).

Check the xEdit log again, towards the beginning there should be these messages, assuming your game is configured for English language:

Using language: English
Using general string encoding: 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
Using translatable string encoding: 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)

A bit further down there should be these messages:

[00:02] Background Loader: [Skyrim_English.DLSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:02] Background Loader: [Skyrim_English.ILSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:02] Background Loader: [Skyrim_English.STRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:07] Background Loader: [Update_English.DLSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:07] Background Loader: [Update_English.ILSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [Update_English.STRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [Dawnguard_English.DLSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [Dawnguard_English.ILSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [Dawnguard_English.STRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [HearthFires_English.DLSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [HearthFires_English.ILSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [HearthFires_English.STRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:09] Background Loader: [Dragonborn_English.DLSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:09] Background Loader: [Dragonborn_English.ILSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:09] Background Loader: [Dragonborn_English.STRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
49 minutes ago, Arel said:

I went to check the file integrity but I was guessing that wasn't going to work and it didn't as I guessed.

Don't ever 'Verify integrity of game files' from Steam if you're using Skyrim 1.5.97 inside a folder named 'Skyrim Special Edition' inside your Steam library folder, as this will update the installation to 1.6.x. From the Steam client's point of view, you have the latest Skyrim 1.6.x installed in your library, it doesn't know anything about 1.5.97. When you used Depot Downloader to install 1.5.97, you did so "behind the Steam client's back" so to speak.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

Yes and No. The Strings folder is not visible in Windows Explorer. It's packed inside the 'Skyrim - Interface.bsa' and 'Skyrim - Patch.bsa' archives (similar to ZIP files).

Check the xEdit log again, towards the beginning there should be these messages, assuming your game is configured for English language:

Using language: English
Using translatable string encoding: 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)

A bit further down there should be these messages:

[00:02] Background Loader: [Skyrim_English.DLSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:02] Background Loader: [Skyrim_English.ILSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:02] Background Loader: [Skyrim_English.STRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:07] Background Loader: [Update_English.DLSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:07] Background Loader: [Update_English.ILSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [Update_English.STRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [Dawnguard_English.DLSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [Dawnguard_English.ILSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [Dawnguard_English.STRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [HearthFires_English.DLSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [HearthFires_English.ILSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:08] Background Loader: [HearthFires_English.STRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:09] Background Loader: [Dragonborn_English.DLSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:09] Background Loader: [Dragonborn_English.ILSTRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)
[00:09] Background Loader: [Dragonborn_English.STRINGS] Using encoding (from language): 1252  (ANSI - Latin I)

Don't ever 'Verify integrity of game files' from Steam if you're using Skyrim 1.5.97 inside a folder named 'Skyrim Special Edition' inside your Steam library folder, as this will update the installation to 1.6.x. From the Steam client's point of view, you have the latest Skyrim 1.6.x installed in your library, it doesn't know anything about 1.5.97. When you used Depot Downloader to install 1.5.97, you did so "behind the Steam client's back" so to speak.

I actually knew it was going to restore the latest so I had my backup before that.

But about those logs I actually don't have them in there. Mine doesn't use those for some reason. 

Here is the full log to see attached to this reply. I also have something like this in exception log

*** Application started *** 
Time: [4312468] 2022-01-23 13:59:44.836
ExceptionInfo: nil
Exception: EEncodingError
Message: No mapping for the Unicode character exists in the target multi-byte code page
Filesize: 25009152
Filedate: 2021-11-10 14:12:56

1SSEEdit_log.txt

39 minutes ago, z929669 said:

You need to search for the mod providing those references in xEdit.

Loader: <Note: SigurdBurialUrnRef [REFR:01900011] (places WRBurialUrn01 "<Error: No strings file for lstring ID 0000265A>" [CONT:000E4258] in GRUP Cell Persistent Children of WhiterunHalloftheDeadCatacombs "<Error: No strings file for lstring ID 0000EA7B>" [CELL:00094BAB]) was injected into Update.esm>

Then you need to look at those mods and their requirements. Post on that mod's topic if necessary.

If these are also DynDOLOD errors, so you should be posting on those forums, depending on the version you are using.

I've checked and it is in Skyrim.esm not in any of the mods. My Windows system language is not English and I was wondering maybe if it was unable to get some records because of that but that would be so dumb and yet this is Bethesda so I don't really know.

I've had few problem with the game I've posted it on another section of the forum but now I am starting to think about maybe the main cause is this missing string file error, could it be the issue?

Edited by Arel

7 minutes ago, Arel said:

I've checked and it is in Skyrim.esm not in any of the mods. My Windows system language is not English and I was wondering maybe if it was unable to get some records because of that but that would be so dumb and yet this is Bethesda so I don't really know.

I've had few problem with the game I've posted it on another section of the forum but now I am starting to think about maybe the main cause is this missing string file error, could it be the issue?

Issues with the game or issues reported in xEdit when error checking? Missing strings will mean that you have incorrect languages represented in dialogs, due to missing localization files and your language settings in the game. I don't think it has anything to do with the OS. It's about languages available in your vanilla version of the game. I'm not sure if all languages are packaged into the vanilla game (I thought so) or if there are language-specific versions of the game.

language/localization in vanilla should be pretty much 'good', so I think Mousetick is on the right track. It sounds like your downgrade instance may have some issues either related to only a single-language version available with the downgrade patcher or a hybrid update of your game files. I use the American English version of the game and always have, so I haven't worked with strings much aside from specific mods.

23 minutes ago, Arel said:

But about those logs I actually don't have them in there. Mine doesn't use those for some reason. 

Something doesn't look right:

SSEEdit 4.0.4 (103758D4) starting session 2022-01-24 14:33:53
Using language: englýsh
Using translatable string encoding: 65001 (UTF-8)
Using VMAD string encoding: 65001 (UTF-8)

'englýsh' is not a valid language. Which probably leads to the error in exception log and xEdit not being able to load the strings.

Check and/or post your Skyrim.ini. In the [General] section, there should be:

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH

For testing, you don't need to load your entire mod list in xEdit. When you're prompted after launch to select the plugins to load in the 'Modules Selection' panel, right-click and pick 'Select None', then check 'USSEP'. That will make loading much quicker and enough to check the language & strings.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

Something doesn't look right:

SSEEdit 4.0.4 (103758D4) starting session 2022-01-24 14:33:53
Using language: englýsh
Using translatable string encoding: 65001 (UTF-8)
Using VMAD string encoding: 65001 (UTF-8)

'englýsh' is not a valid language. Which probably leads to the error in exception log and xEdit not being able to load the strings.

Check and/or post your Skyrim.ini. In the [General] section, there should be:

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH

For testing, you don't need to load your entire mod list in xEdit. When you're prompted after launch to select the plugins to load in the 'Modules Selection' panel, right-click and pick 'Select None', then check 'USSEP'. That will make loading much quicker and enough to check the language & strings.

It is English, I use everything English I do not use translated mods or anything. Maybe it is about xEdit but the Skyrim.esm itself has this no string file value.

xEdit Skyrim_esm No string.png

Skyrim_Default.ini

33 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Issues with the game or issues reported in xEdit when error checking? Missing strings will mean that you have incorrect languages represented in dialogs, due to missing localization files and your language settings in the game. I don't think it has anything to do with the OS. It's about languages available in your vanilla version of the game. I'm not sure if all languages are packaged into the vanilla game (I thought so) or if there are language-specific versions of the game.

language/localization in vanilla should be pretty much 'good', so I think Mousetick is on the right track. It sounds like your downgrade instance may have some issues either related to only a single-language version available with the downgrade patcher or a hybrid update of your game files. I use the American English version of the game and always have, so I haven't worked with strings much aside from specific mods.

xEdit shows Skyrim.esm has this missing strings file error and I don't use any other language other than English with Skyrim, just my OS is in different language.

'englýsh' is not a valid language and xEdit can't use that.

Don't look at Skyrim_Default.ini. Look at Skyrim.ini in your 'Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition' folder.

See also my post above about xEdit localization menu.

See also xEdit Default Language.

If all else fails, force the language on the xEdit command line: Command Line Switches. Use the -l option.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

'englýsh' is not a valid language and xEdit can't use that.

Don't look at Skyrim_Default.ini. Look at Skyrim.ini in your 'Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition' folder.

See also my post above about xEdit localization menu.

See also xEdit Default Language.

If all else fails, force the language on the xEdit command line: Command Line Switches. Use the -l option.

I've checked My Games folder as well, and it still is "ENGLISH".

Starting argument: -cp:1252 did not worked but localization->English worked but do these changes apply to the files after I exit? Because I am kinda lost here, was my Skyrim.esm file alright and was it just xEdit couldn't read?

26 minutes ago, Arel said:

Starting argument: -cp:1252 did not worked but localization->English worked but do these changes apply to the files after I exit?

I said "Use the -l option", as in -l:English. Why did you try -cp instead? :confused:

These language settings (command line option or localization menu) determine in which language xEdit displays text strings used by the mod plugins. That's all there is to it. There is only a specific set of languages available. The game works the same way, based on the language setting in Skyrim.ini.

No files are written or modified in any way by changing the language. It's a display setting.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

I said "Use the -l option", as in -l:English. Why did you try -cp instead? :confused:

These language settings (command line option or localization menu) determine in which language xEdit displays text strings used by the mod plugins. That's all there is to it. There is only a specific set of languages available. The game works the same way, based on the language setting in Skyrim.ini.

No files are written or modified in any way by changing the language. It's a display setting.

I was just gotten more dumb because for weeks I've been trying to mod my game :D that's why I must've missed that part. I am glad it is just a display issue. Now I can check the real errors and why my game was glitching. It seems I have ton of errors and kinda stupid enough to not understand them all like this for instance;

[00:00] Checking for Errors in [00] Skyrim.esm
[00:00] iDaysToRespawnVendor [GMST:0023C00E]
[00:00]     GMST -> Warning: internal file FormID is a HITME: 0123C00E (should be 0023C00E )

What even is a GMST and HITME :ermm: do you know any source that I can get deep into fix these? I've got Errors found: 412 haha

Edited by Arel

11 minutes ago, Arel said:

I was just gotten more dumb because for weeks I've been trying to mod my game :D that's why I must've missed that part. I am glad it is just a display issue. Now I can check the real errors and why my game was glitching. It seems I have ton of errors and kinda stupid enough to not understand them all like this for instance;

[00:00] Checking for Errors in [00] Skyrim.esm
[00:00] iDaysToRespawnVendor [GMST:0023C00E]
[00:00]     GMST -> Warning: internal file FormID is a HITME: 0123C00E (should be 0023C00E )

What even is a GMST and HITME :ermm: do you know any source that I can get deep into fix these?

It sounds like you may be having issues in game and are using broad strokes to troubleshoot specific issues. I think it's much more constructive to research specific issues in a targeted manner. The issue above seems to be in the vanilla plugin, and it's a safe bet that we all should see such an issue were we to error check Skyrim.esm. This is the kind of stuff the USSEP targets for patching.

Take this topic as an example. You are reporting all of these strings errors, but it isn't clear what exactly you are troubleshooting that landed you on checking all of your mods for errors in xEdit. This has lead you to find this other ?unrelated? issue, which is really a different topic (but it isn't clear if this is an issue that manifests in game as a specific problem).

So, were you able to resolve the xEdit strings error issue in the end? If so please describe what you think caused it to the best of your knowledge, and describe the solution you used for the benefit of others who may encounter the same issue and bump into this topic.

2 hours ago, Arel said:

It seems I have ton of errors and kinda stupid enough to not understand them all like this for instance;

This particular one is completely normal and harmless.

As Z mentioned above, please start a new topic about any new issue or question rather than continuing an existing one that's unrelated. And please provide some context. Like, what are you trying to accomplish by checking for errors in the vanilla plugins? I'd suggest not to waste your time and to leave them alone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

So, were you able to resolve the xEdit strings error issue in the end? If so please describe what you think caused it to the best of your knowledge, and describe the solution you used for the benefit of others who may encounter the same issue and bump into this topic.

This particular one is completely normal and harmless.

As Z mentioned above, please start a new topic about any new issue or question rather than continuing an existing one that's unrelated. And please provide some context. Like, what are you trying to accomplish by checking for errors in the vanilla plugins? I'd suggest not to waste your time and to leave them alone.

I think my OS language kind of tricked the xEdit and xEdit read the language info from my Skyrim.ini as "englısh" instead of "ENGLISH". Changing it to English manually with the command line arguments did the trick. I've applied the same thing to the xLODGen and it also fixed the Occlusion.esp generation process. I'll edit the op and add the command line that worked and how to implement.

@Mousetick @z929669

Thank you both, I really appreciate that

Edited by Arel