Skyrim 10th Anniversary Edition Announced

29 minutes ago, elenhil said:

It's just Fishing, Survival Mode, and some new quests for the free update  (or a bundle of 500 CK mods for the new paid edition). Nothing like SE Mk.II announced so far.

This is how I am interpreting the announcement as well. It looks as if the new quests are from Saints and Seducers.

4 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

https://bethesda.net/en/article/REybYU3Gy2InVlHmus4UC/skyrim-10th-anniversary-fan-celebration

It would seem that we are getting yet another upgrade to Skyrim in the form of Skyrim 10th Anniversary Edition. It will be made available for free to owners of Skyrim Special Edition on 11-11-21.

There is enough added content in that that we can probably expect that modding it will be slightly different ... independent guide and mod-version lineup, I expect.

The update is just a few free things. They're saying "Enhanced Edition", like all the other Game Pass stuff, but what is "enhanced"? All the other game's "enhanced" mentionings have meant better graphics and visual effects. They're only mentioning content here. Furthermore, you're still going to have to purchase the Anniversary Edition (SE owners are supposed to get a reduced price). It seems they're just dumping all their CC stuff into it. ...I wonder what they means for the future of the CC? 

This is the breakdown that I'm taking from this announcement:

• All platforms will have access to Fishing, Survival Mode, and Saints and Seducers
  • PlayStation 5 and XBox Series X|S will receive a free enhanced edition of the game
  • Skyrim Anniversary Edition includes Fishing, Survival Mode, Saints and Seducers, and over 500 pieces of unique content from Creation Club
  • Existing owners of Skyrim Special Edition will receive the option to purchase the Anniversary Edition upgrade

So basically Anniversary Edition sounds as if it's nothing more than Skyrim Special Edition plus a bunch of Creation Club content. The enhanced edition of the game is only for PlayStation and XBox.

41 minutes ago, Greg said:

This is the breakdown that I'm taking from this announcement:

• All platforms will have access to Fishing, Survival Mode, and Saints and Seducers
  • PlayStation 5 and XBox Series X|S will receive a free enhanced edition of the game
  • Skyrim Anniversary Edition includes Fishing, Survival Mode, Saints and Seducers, and over 500 pieces of unique content from Creation Club
  • Existing owners of Skyrim Special Edition will receive the option to purchase the Anniversary Edition upgrade

So basically Anniversary Edition sounds as if it's nothing more than Skyrim Special Edition plus a bunch of Creation Club content. The enhanced edition of the game is only for PlayStation and XBox.

Yes, and this is enough of a change that it will likely require adjustments to the guide. We may want to postpone 2.0.0 release until after we have a chance to upgrade to the Anniversary Ed. Otherwise, we will be supporting two additional guides instead of one. It would be great if one guide would work either way, but that's tough to say at this point.

Yes, it all depends on what those 500+ CC mods are. If it's just enemies, clothing, items, weapons, etc., then there shouldn't be any issue with only having a single Guide. If, however, they toss in new locations, buildings, things that have wide-reaching affects, then that is going to be an issue.

So now we're going to have to support a basic Survival Mode in mods and Guides. That has only been an issue with mods that interact with weather conditions, in my experience.

An unpopular opinion here:

Man, if I didn't know Bethesda, I would expect that the Anniversary Edition would at least patch all the known bugs.

Knowing Bethesda, it wouldn't contain any fixes. I felt swindled on the day Skirym SE was released, I simply don't care today. 

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Skyrim. I just think that not even attempting to fix all the bugs identified over the past 10 years (the unofficial patch and the UESP offer quite an extensive list of bugs, even if Bethesda doesn't want to start talks with the authors of the Unofficial Patch) shows a profound lack of care. Come on, Bethesda, we deserve better. 

Here's for hoping they don't touch the engine much in comparison to SSE, so at least SKSE64 works out of the box. Again, knowing Bethesda, I don't think they will touch it, though. 

No, there isn't likely to be much bug fixing. There was some minimal stuff done to SE, but nothing major for fixes. The new edition sounds like it's simply going to be SE+CC content. All they're saying is a free upgrade to an "enhanced vision" without saying what that is. I'm not expecting anything really worth upgrading for. Also what some haven't realized yet is the "500+" is not 500+ mods. It's 500+ of individual content. So one mod may cover a multitude of that "500+" .

23 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

I'm not expecting anything really worth upgrading for. Also what some haven't realized yet is the "500+" is not 500+ mods. It's 500+ of individual content. So one mod may cover a multitude of that "500+" .

I am not expecting anything major either. And the Creation Club "exclusive" content isn't that great, either. I've browsed through it at times and it's mostly new  creatures and artifacts. I get new lore-friendly artifacts (and more) from Morrowloot, thank you very much. 

But, if it's still SSE at its base (which I think it is) and it works on SKSE 64, I would still buy Anniversary over "plain" SSE (which I don't own) any time. So good marketing for Bethesda, I guess? 

Still, I see no incentive for SSE owners here. 

Edit: Now, a Morrowind 64 re-release would have been the real deal. 

On 8/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, TechAngel85 said:

Yes, it all depends on what those 500+ CC mods are. If it's just enemies, clothing, items, weapons, etc., then there shouldn't be any issue with only having a single Guide. If, however, they toss in new locations, buildings, things that have wide-reaching affects, then that is going to be an issue.

So now we're going to have to support a basic Survival Mode in mods and Guides. That has only been an issue with mods that interact with weather conditions, in my experience.

I'm currently running all the current CC content with STEP right now. Nearly everything works without issue. Tundra Homestead needed a patch for landscape and water fixes, I think a patch was needed to get survival mode items to show up in crafting menu do to CCO I think. The only issue i see is there is a conflict with 'wild horses' and 'convenient horses'. They both have menu choices that overlap. Something will have to be done here. Current workaround is capture and name your wild horse before activating CH. Not an option for STEP.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, evmiller said:

I'm currently running all the current CC content with STEP right now. Nearly everything works without issue. Tundra Homestead needed a patch for landscape and water fixes, I think a patch was needed to get survival mode items to show up in crafting menu do to CCO I think. The only issue i see is there is a conflict with 'wild horses' and 'convenient horses'. They both have menu choices that overlap. Something will have to be done here. Current workaround is capture and name your wild horse before activating CH. Not an option for STEP.

Thanks for the input! I'm not a fan of Convenient Horses because its compatibility sucks. 

3 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

Thanks for the input! I'm not a fan of Convenient Horses because its compatibility sucks. 

Forget what I said above. My memory is a bit rusty. Here is the link to a thread from last year showing compatibility issues found concerning STEP and the CC content.

All in all, I don't think STEP will have an issue supporting the anniversary edition of the game.

Edited by evmiller