Skyrim 10th Anniversary Edition Announced

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition is available now. For more information on the Anniversary Edition, visit our article here.
Please find the update notes for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition below.

Update Version 1.6
  • PC (Steam): 5.3 GB

FIXES
  • General performance optimizations
  • Minor art and lighting fixes
  • Adjusted creation quests so they no longer start upon leaving Helgen
  • Bug fixes and balance updates to the following Creations:
    • Alternative Armors – Daedric Mail
    • Alternative Armors – Elven Hunter
    • Alternative Armors – Ebony Plate
    • Alternative Armors – Ebony Plate
    • Arcane Archer Pack
    • Bone Wolf
    • Dawnfang & Duskfang
    • Dead Man's Dread
    • Chrysamere
    • Civil War Champions
    • Divine Crusader
    • Forgotten Seasons
    • Goblins
    • Hendraheim
    • Myrwatch
    • Pets of Skyrim
    • Plague of the Dead
    • Rare Curios
    • Ruin’s Edge
    • Saints and Seducers
    • Saturalia
    • Spell Knight Armor
    • Staff of Sheogorath
    • Stendarr's Hammer
    • Sunder & Wraithguard
    • Survival Mode
    • Tundra Homestead

"Minor art and lighting fixes" I guess they haven't come across any other bugs :confusion:

Does STEP have a roadmap/plan for rolling out support for the SE post SAE free update as well as full out SAE?  (kinda confusing what we're calling these now). Got a new computer so itching to do the dance again. Will working with the SE 2.0.0 beta be wiser at this point? I'm assuming as it's unreleased, it'd have to at least support the post SAE free update at some point.

Edited by evmiller

Arthmoor have made a "official" post at AFK Mods with his wiev on current "events" in the crazy world of modding Skyrim SE.

There is alot of raging about Arthmoor, Bethesda, Nexus, USSEP and what not in many forums (glad we dont have it here on STEP).

I think his post is rather well tought out and clear no matter if he is right or not.

Link to thread at AFK Mods: https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/5954-skyrim-anniversary-edition-and-you/

It's a good write up of his thinking with valid points. I disagree on a few things, but his reasoning is sound. I am glad he pointed out the fact that Bethesda gave ianpatt access to the AE before release under NDA. However, I do believe that the communication about the significance of the compiler update prior to the release was instrumental to Bethesda granting this boon. If it weren't for the tireless work of ianpatt, Nukem, meh321, and aers, we would not be in nearly so good shape merely a week later.

I completely agree with his words there and Arthmoor and I often have different views. We're just respectful enough to respect one another's opinions (like mature adults). Most of the Step Staff past and present think this way and is why we have very little of any of that non-sense around here. We're just a more mature community vs Nexus and some others.

Anyway, what Arthmoor says there is completely right. The free stuff is just an update to SE and the "AE" content is no more than paid DLC for SE. Honestly, the only reason they had to re-release it as a new "game" is due to under-the-hood changes. I, too, have been surprised by the speed that the broken SKSE mods have been updated.

Good to see you comment here @TechAngel85. I am rather new to this community and just a random "gamer" that likes to test mods and browse for new ones.

I have no knowledge about the history of Arthmoor other than what is on the internets and i dont feel any of his mods being that important to me besides USSEP, but i do think the current rage against him is unfair when it comes to AE (even if i do have seen that he can be very inflexible sometimes).

I have stated it before... AE is SSE. New players will buy AE, not SSE since it is not there any more. The modding commuinity vcan not expect new people to do this "downgrade".

Ofc, we can act just like those who still say: "I will never play SE, i will stay on LE"... But this time is not possible. LE is still on Steam, the "old" SSE is not.

And now when we see how fast SKSE, Display Tweaks and what not is being updated it is even clearer.

Arthmoor's post is agreeable and makes sense. He does not state anything there that is inflammatory, IMO.

It's his previous comments inferring the irrelevance of 'obscure' SKSE-plugin mods that irked me a wee bit. Just because he doesn't agree with the methods by which these mods alter the game or the changes that they facilitate are not valid reasons for dismissing them, IMO. They are among the best mods around, IMO and playing without them is a major drag ... I wonder if he uses DynDOLOD.

What ticks people off most though is his (and the USP Team's) stubborn refusal to accommodate use of the 1.5.97 patch versions. They go so far as to scour the internet to remove all traces of them and probably threaten litigation against those that make them available without consent. Fortunately, Nexus does not allow deletions of files any longer. You can still get USSEP v4.2.5b on Nexus, although they have made special allowance in hiding the USP archives (which I think is totally unfair). Doesn't matter though. The Nexus must adhere to their ToS, so the files are still available for download from Nexus. I have updated our USSEP mod page with one such link so that people can continue using our SSE guide.

Some of the plugins are already being updated.  I think it's Engine Fixes? And Address library are already updated.

It'll take a while to fix it.  In the meantime, my STEP install is broken. Entirely. The downgrader didn't work.  And so I patiently wait for an update to the guide so I can reinstall it.

SAE updated on STEAM.

Update Version 1.6.323
  • PC (Steam): 28.5 MB

FIXES
  • Fixed a problem preventing some doors in Rielle from opening properly.
  • Fixed an issue where Russian and Polish notes were not displaying text properly.
  • Fixed an issue where German and French players were given incorrect menu text when leveling up.
  • Fixed an issue where players were experiencing a “black screen” and upon launching

• 3 weeks later...

Game updated to version 1.6.342 today.

Patch notes:

Good Morning!

We have a small update going out this morning, patch notes are included below:

• Added additional translations when downloading creations.
• Fixed light flicker in the Ragged Flagon Cistern. • Fixed Palomino Horses missing mane textures
• Fixed an issue some PC Steam players were experiencing when trying to upgrade using their keyboard.
• Fixed an issue where Creation Club Bundles were incorrectly showing as “Owned”.
• Fixed an issue some players experienced when trying to change button mapping.
• Fixed crashing when spam casting Fireball.
• [PlayStation 4/5 Only] Fixed an issue causing “out of memory” crashes.
• [PlayStation 5 Only] Fixed crashing after exiting the Pelagius Wing (Minds of Madness Quest).
• [PlayStation 5 Only] Fixed a crash that would occur when trying to launch the game through “Activities”.
• [Xbox Series X Only] Fixed an issue players encountered when naming their character, setting the default character name to “Prisoner”.
• [Xbox Only] Fixed an issue when using the “download all” button.

• We’ve included a fix that we believe will reduce instances of the 0kb space issue that some PlayStation players have experienced. While this should help mitigate cases, we are still investigating and working on a more comprehensive fix.

If you are still experiencing the 0kb issue on PS4 or PS5, please let us know. If you encounter this issue on PS5, please let us know if you are running the PS4 or PS5 version. This information can be located on your dashboard.”

• 3 weeks later...

Just chiming in here as I am in the process of redoing a STEP-inspired Skyrim load order from scratch with the new patch plus AE content. Thus far, basically everything works except for the NET Framework and the few mods that depend on it. I have installed a few scripted mods and will certainly keep an eye out for crashes related to those. Overall, it's not seeming like a modpocalypse at all (much less so than the transition from LE to SE). I'll be curious to see which Creation Club items cause issues or conflicts as these make up the bulk of the update.

Having used the STEP method from scratch 2-3 times over the years, I highly recommend using additional separators in MO2 (more than what STEP recommends) to categorize mods so things can be more easily swapped in and out.

I decided to go with Re-Engaged ENB, RLO and COT this time instead of the Cathedral method recommended in the guide. I also decided against DyndoLOD so that I don't need to redo that process with every change. No cleaning masters or anything either, as I expect there will be updates pushed out in the coming weeks/months by Bethesda.

If anything breaks I'll just strip out all but the visual mods and test individual scripted mods individually.

I was surprisingly sort of OK with the functionality offered by CC Survival Mode, although I'll be curious to see how it plays with CACO and CCOR (there are patches on the patch hub for both). In an ideal world, I think we'd mod on top of the now-integrated CC Survival Mode rather than run parallel mods like Frostfall, which (while amazing- don't get me wrong) are fairly susceptible to incompatibility. I may be wrong about this.

A few updates to my experience which may be useful.

I highly recommend Dear Diary (especially the brand new Dark Mode version) if you are using vanilla Survival Mode. These recently updated versions will allow you to see Warmth ratings in your inventory among many other practical visual improvements. A couple of notable mods that don't work: Stay At The System Page and Yes I'm Sure. If anyone was resolved this let me know!