Picta Series - Improved Sky Meshes (by TrueDraconis, Kettlewitch, & Odin)

TechAngel85

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

It's still completely unclear to me. Step has CW, so the horizon seam fix is in place. This mod option states in the file description:

... which is presumptuous and therefore unclear. The author assumes that if either of the above conditions is true, then we should install this file Instead of simply stating what this file does  (how it modifies the main file) so that we can decide. It only replaces clouds.nif, so easy enough to check in game, but it is unclear if we should be using it.

It's just moving the clouds down to the horizon to aid in the hiding of it, regardless if CW is installed or not. Since our L&W and ENB sections are optional, we'd want to install this for those users skipping those sections. For users who don't skip these sections, nothing will happen with the mod left in.

20 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

It's just moving the clouds down to the horizon to aid in the hiding of it, regardless if CW is installed or not. Since our L&W and ENB sections are optional, we'd want to install this for those users skipping those sections. For users who don't skip these sections, nothing will happen with the mod left in.

OK, so it's the stand-alone seam fix ... the file description is still nonsensical and in no way makes this clear. It seems to be saying that this is for those using CW, while you are saying it's for those NOT using CW ...

20 minutes ago, z929669 said:

OK, so it's the stand-alone seam fix ... the file description is still nonsensical and in no way makes this clear. It seems to be saying that this is for those using CW, while you are saying it's for those NOT using CW ...

I'm saying it helps those without CW more, but will not hurt anything to leave it install for those with CW.

So here are the compares under SSE (not SAE). Each of the below has a set of four images in different locations. The first three images in each set are with ENB, and the last is the third of the set without ENB. All is Step base (Cathedral Weathers) with each of these two mods active as indicated:

1. Step (CW)
  2. Improved Clouds Mesh (ICM)
  3. Picta
  4. Picta w/optional file
Spoiler

SkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-26-34-74.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-38-45-65.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-46-18-06.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-47-37-65.jpg

SkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-25-19-72.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-37-38-68.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-45-10-57.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-48-47-45.jpg

SkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-23-58-86.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-36-32-16.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-44-01-94.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-49-54-18.jpg

SkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-22-30-32.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-35-18-54.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-42-55-63.jpgSkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-51-07-46.jpg

If you examine the first of each set, you will see that Picta adds a lot of haze to the distance, which really obscures the distant tundra. This doesn't happen looking out to the edge of the map as in the other three of each set. To me, this is a deal breaker for Picta, but the edge of the map actually looks pretty good with Picta.

Both Picta and ICM bring the clouds down to the horizon. CW does not.

ENB has some impact (last image in each set), but it is just different and not necessarily better or worse with respect to the seam. It can exacerbate the seam a bit though.

If we want the clouds closer to the horizon, then ICM wins. If not, I'd say to not use either of these mods (that's my preference)

Try removing Oblivion Mountain Fogs. I think that is the cause for the haze. Honestly, I've begun to seriously dislike that mod in-game. It seems quite over the top. This mod is probably not designed for 10x the vanilla size mountain fogs. Aside from that, I prefer 3.Picta for the actual horizon. I agree though that that haze is a deal-breaker if we can't fix it.

44 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

Try removing Oblivion Mountain Fogs. I think that is the cause for the haze. Honestly, I've begun to seriously dislike that mod in-game. It seems quite over the top. This mod is probably not designed for 10x the vanilla size mountain fogs....

I haven't seen any issue with it, yet. I am making it them more opaque with the ENB during the day for clear weather. We can make up our own sizes, if we really want larger clouds. They do help hide stuff, but I have little or no z-fighting, and with DynDOLOD it's rare that anything needs to be hidden.

44 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

...I prefer 3.Picta for the actual horizon. I agree though that that haze is a deal-breaker if we can't fix it.

I'm of the same opinion. Pica basically puts the Fix in place for those without CW. That fog is going to be a cloud layer...which looks like it's been put on the ground. That might be due to a rather low cloud later that should be just above the mountains, but the mesh changes of moving the layers down from is causing this. Just need to identify the file that is causing it and make a decision from there.

Obsidian is the reason in conjunction with one of the cloud layers of Picta:

Picta w/optional file + Obsidian Mountain Fog:

SkyrimSE 2021-11-12 21-23-58-86.jpg

Picta w/optional file - Obsidian Mountain Fog:

SkyrimSE 2021-11-13 10-50-55-01.jpg

Picta w/optional file + Obsidian Mountain Fog with inv_clouddistant01_50.nif hidden:

SkyrimSE 2021-11-13 11-15-07-38.jpg

So I imagine we could reduce the volumetric fog value of Obsidian affecting this mesh interaction or simply hide this mesh.

EDIT: I'm still not clear on the optional file for Picta. It seems redundant with our setup (see previous compares). Of course, I have not tested without our lighting & weather and ENB, so that may reveal more.

Picta w/optional file + Obsidian Mountain Fog with inv_clouddistant01_50.nif hidden and without CW, NO ENB:

SkyrimSE 2021-11-13 11-36-17-16.jpg

Picta NO optional file + Obsidian Mountain Fog with inv_clouddistant01_50.nif hidden and without CW, NO ENB:

SkyrimSE 2021-11-13 11-43-42-71.jpg

... so the optional file doesn't do anything for us as far as I can tell.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2021 at 10:01 PM, TechAngel85 said:

Regarding the Horizon Seam Fix: that is making sure the weather for the ENB doesn't change the color or really mess with cloud layer 28 and fog colors. These are combined in Cathedral Weathers to hide the edge of the world (horizon seam). This just means the ENB needs to be specifically designed for Cathedral Weathers so these things match up with the ENB settings. However, there are some that say they're designed for Cathedral Weathers, but also break the "horizon seam fix". That's probably why it's mentioned.

Natural View Tamriel is an ENB that breaks this unfortunately even with this fix.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...