Obsidian Mountain Fogs (by DrMegaloblast)

wojsku

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Posted compares.

I think this one is a no-brainer if you like obscuring the mountains a bit more to give the illusion of bigger mountains and larger expanse (I do).

There is no color diff ... it just adds a bit more fog.

I moved the compares around.

All this mod is doing is altering the scale of the assets that are already there. It adds a total of 10 clouds/"fogs". My only issue with it is the glare. That's why I was saying it was too bright. The ENB helps to reduce the glare, but without it it's overly bright. It's not OMF's fault, though, it's the textures installed...

...finding the texture led me on a chase. However, it is likely vanilla in the shots because I mistakenly have users skipping Ethereal Clouds if CWS is installed. There is, in fact, no overlap in these mods. Cathedral doesn't include cloud textures. So @z929669, can you take another shot with each that includes Ethereal Clouds active to see how it looks? With this insight, we could test several cloud mods to find the one that works best with OMF. Northern Realistic Clouds seems to be one of the only real contestants that is a standalone, though it doesn't include the "sheet" texture so it won't effect these (at least not all of them).

4 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

I moved the compares around.

All this mod is doing is altering the scale of the assets that are already there. It adds a total of 10 clouds/"fogs". My only issue with it is the glare. That's why I was saying it was too bright. The ENB helps to reduce the glare, but without it it's overly bright. It's not OMF's fault, though, it's the textures installed...

...finding the texture led me on a chase. However, it is likely vanilla in the shots because I mistakenly have users skipping Ethereal Clouds if CWS is installed. There is, in fact, no overlap in these mods. Cathedral doesn't include cloud textures. So @z929669, can you take another shot with each that includes Ethereal Clouds active to see how it looks? With this insight, we could test several cloud mods to find the one that works best with OMF. Northern Realistic Clouds seems to be one of the only real contestants that is a standalone, though it doesn't include the "sheet" texture so it won't effect these (at least not all of them).

The 1.0.0 guide has both Ethereal Clouds and CWS to install without any modification (which is what I am running). There are no conflicts between these mods or between these and OMF. OMF just uses a plugin to modify whatever is providing the fogs texture, which may be Ethereal in these shots.

I don't think there is an diff in brightness between those shots. They both use the same ... ?textures?, and OMF just increases the density. I just don't see any 'glare' with or without. Just a little fog vs more fog.

EDIT: OP updated. Looks like Ethereal only makes the sky more blue and enhances the clouds. I see no diff with the fog, so it must be vanilla fog. I prefer OMF with Ethereal both with and wo ENB (middle shots).

Looks like the OMF plugin is really only changing "XSCL - Scale" and maybe adding some "XCLR - Region"s. Not sure but it doesn't look like it is using any model/texture. If so, then it's just an effect?

EDIT2: Just saw that you had instructions not to install Ethereal Clouds if CWS and LW Patch are installed ... needless to say, I didn't follow those instructions and had both running this whole time.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

Another reason I'm not a fan of this mod, it doesn't seem to be affected by LightingInfluence...so the fogs are always going to be the wrong color during TOD changes:
StepSkyrimSE148.jpg

Okay, so that isn't actually this mod causing that. It's either the mesh doesn't have lighting influence set or the texture mod...most like the mesh.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:23 PM, TechAngel85 said:

Okay, so that isn't actually this mod causing that. It's either the mesh doesn't have lighting influence set or the texture mod...most like the mesh.

Mesh provided by ... vanilla? So this mod is still a winner for me either way. This is an issue that should be fixed if possible though ... maybe via CR Patch unless it's the mesh (in which case, we should create our own mod for that using vanilla as a base and include in CR Patch maybe)?

7 hours ago, z929669 said:

Mesh provided by ... vanilla? So this mod is still a winner for me either way. This is an issue that should be fixed if possible though ... maybe via CR Patch unless it's the mesh (in which case, we should create our own mod for that using vanilla as a base and include in CR Patch maybe)?

Turns out it's the ENB settings and they are supposed controlled by VolumetricFog settings. These parameters are going to need to be adjusted per weather and for time of day. I already tried altering the mesh, but it was a quick look and didn't work. Since these are all hand-placed, we could set the Emission for each to that of the weather, which should make them change tint with time of day and weather settings. That is getting into "mod" territory. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This mod is merely a plugin file, and it does not contain models or textures, so I question its placement in Models and Textures. Looking at the plugin, all it really does is increase the scale size of the fogs. It is rather difficult to place this within the ModGroups, but I think that this could be considered a "Fix."

31 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

This mod is merely a plugin file, and it does not contain models or textures, so I question its placement in Models and Textures. Looking at the plugin, all it really does is increase the scale size of the fogs. It is rather difficult to place this within the ModGroups, but I think that this could be considered a "Fix."

I've been thinking the same thing. It was in Lighting, which was wrong so I tossed in in Models & Textures.

It's not a Fix. If I sort it objectively, it ends up down in Immersion.