Storm Lightning for SSE (by Shizof)

TechAngel85

• 1 month later...

According to the mod page, if used together with Cathedral Weathers it is necessary to activate compatibility mode in the advanced section of the MCM menu. This step is missing from the MCM instructions in the 0.2.0b STEP Guide. Unless the L&W Patch makes it so that compatibility mode isn't required. If it is required though, another option instead of the compatibility mode is the mod "Improved Rain and Fog for Cathedral Weathers" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/27831).

Copied from the mod page:

"If you are using Cathedral Weathers, enable Compatibility Mode in Advanced page of MCM to have lightning, because that weather doesn't have Thunder/Lightning Frequency defined.

Note: If you're using Nawor3565's Improved Rain and Fog for Cathedral Weathers (Obsidian in Cathedral) you don't have to run Storm Lightning in compatibility mode.

When Compatibility mode is enabled, you need to Disable Cloudy and Snowy Sheet and Fork lightnings from General page in MCM to make sure you don't get lightnings for those weathers."

According to the mod page, if used together with Cathedral Weathers it is necessary to activate compatibility mode in the advanced section of the MCM menu. This step is missing from the MCM instructions in the 0.2.0b STEP Guide. Unless the L&W Patch makes it so that compatibility mode isn't required. If it is required though, another option instead of the compatibility mode is the mod "Improved Rain and Fog for Cathedral Weathers" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/27831).

Copied from the mod page:

"If you are using Cathedral Weathers, enable Compatibility Mode in Advanced page of MCM to have lightning, because that weather doesn't have Thunder/Lightning Frequency defined.

Note: If you're using Nawor3565's Improved Rain and Fog for Cathedral Weathers (Obsidian in Cathedral) you don't have to run Storm Lightning in compatibility mode.

When Compatibility mode is enabled, you need to Disable Cloudy and Snowy Sheet and Fork lightnings from General page in MCM to make sure you don't get lightnings for those weathers."

Hmm... that seems like an oversight in Cathedral. I wonder if anyone has ever brought that up to them, and if so, the reason they gave from nulling those fields.

Ah, so a quick search found this info:

For those who are asking if the 2.0 version requires "compatibility mode" with Storm Lightning for SSE, I would say "it depends".

I looked at Cathedral 2.0 in SSEEdit there are several "fog" type weathers with frequency values of 63 and some "rain" type weathers with a value of 120 but also some "rain" type weathers with a value of 255 (none). Since compatibility mode checks "is it raining" instead of using the frequency value, the only way to get lightning for all rain types is to enable it.

If you're fine having some rainy days without lightning, go ahead and leave compatibility disabled. Or, you can edit Cathedral 2.0 in SSEEdit to change all the values you want under "Weather" (filter SSEEit by "name" - "frequency" in the right panel) and save the modified ESP.

So it would seem that the changes in Cathedral are likely warranted and desired (not all rainy weather has lightning). So it should work on some of the weathers from Cathedral but not all...makes sense to me.

• 1 month later...

I have a suggestion for the recommended MCM Settings. The current guide recommends the Realistic preset which has so far been great in my game except that I see lightning strike the ground within a few meters of my character multiple times during every storm, and in fact even on the lowest preset (which lowers the Fork Frequency from Realistic's 3.00 to 0.05) I still see lightning strike the ground near me at least once every storm. I would suggest keeping the Realistic preset but also either significantly lowering the Fork Frequency or disabling the 'Enable Rain Fork' setting altogether.

• +1 1

• 1 month later...

From Shizof on 16 Mar 2020 regarding storm lightning: That would mean the lightning frequency is fixed in the latest version of cathedral weathers, and you don't need to use compatibility mode with it anymore. Let me know and I'll change the warning on the front page.

Compatibility mode doesn't know the difference between overcast or storm rain, so adjusting the lightning is left to you for all rain weathers.

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2021 at 10:16 AM, Mercury71 said:

Mod updated on Nexus.

• Version 1.4.12

• Added support for Anniversary Edition - 1.6.323 version.

The update also adds a new option to the FOMOD to select thunder delay: No Delay (Immersive) or With Delay (Realistic). I suggest using With Delay (Realistic), but it can be user choice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...