DynDOLOD Beta for Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim VR and Enderal SE 2.98

sheson

Well, uLargeRefLODGridSize=5 fixes it. In fact anything upto 9 (inclusive) is fine. However, 10 to 21 will cause this problem.

One more thing i've noticed is, it only affects the nearest LOD levels (4 i believe), meaning that if I go further away, LOD switches to the lower level (8?), and roof becomes visible again.

Well, uLargeRefLODGridSize=5 fixes it. In fact anything upto 9 (inclusive) is fine. However, 10 to 21 will cause this problem.

One more thing i've noticed is, it only affects the nearest LOD levels (4 i believe), meaning that if I go further away, LOD switches to the lower level (8?), and roof becomes visible again.

Only LOD 4 "knows" about large references, so it is possible if the uLargeRefLODGridSize is greater than how far LOD 4 goes (e.g. where LOD 8 starts) things get wierd. I never actually tested that specifically. Probably because large references are already pretty much broken in LOD 4 anyways if using any mods that modify the worldspace.

Edited by sheson

Not that we expected anything different from Bethesda, but the update to version 1.5.39.0.8 still did not fix the large reference bug or the broken tree LOD reflections and most likely none of the other well known and documented bugs that should have been fixed years ago already.

Shame.

Edited by sheson

@Sheson,

So unfortunately, after more testing, i can confirm that lowering large references didn NOT fix the issue. It just shifted the distance and view angle. Basically, now it appears when i am much closer. Definitely something is wrong with LOD4 and large ref

@Sheson,

So unfortunately, after more testing, i can confirm that lowering large references didn NOT fix the issue. It just shifted the distance and view angle. Basically, now it appears when i am much closer. Definitely something is wrong with LOD4 and large ref

There is nothing wrong with the LOD BTO you uploaded. The roof, tower and porch are all one "large reference" supermesh that all unload at the same time.

So you should tfc to the building when the roof is missing, but the stone tower and porch is still there, so we can see if those are LOD or not. Make a screenshot, then type tll and make a screenshot again.

Then go close so everything is in the loaded cells, get form ids of the objects and look them up in xEdit to see what mods are doing to them.

There is nothing wrong with the LOD BTO you uploaded. The roof, tower and porch are all one "large reference" supermesh that all unload at the same time.

So you should tfc to the building when the roof is missing, but the stone tower and porch is still there, so we can see if those are LOD or not. Make a screenshot, then type tll and make a screenshot again.

Then go close so everything is in the loaded cells, get form ids of the objects and look them up in xEdit to see what mods are doing to them.

Here are the screenshots up close with LOD on and off:

https://i.imgur.com/p7mYnYa.png

https://i.imgur.com/edH07QH.png

Checked stone tower (one that remains visible at full mesh) and two wooden structures (ones that disappear), and there is nothing overriding them at all. Just vanilla Skyrim.esm records.

I think I found the problem. I will have a new beta version for you to test some time later today.

Quick test of the save that i used to reproduce the issue is looking good. All meshes seem to showing fine now, thank you very much. I will do a more thorough testing later on and report any issues.

Few questions;

1. What's the difference between generate texture atlas in dyndolod vs texgen output? If both are needed, do they have to have matching resolutions?

2. What large ref settings do you recommend?

3. What was the issue, was it the mesh with windows?

Edited by sm0kem

Quick test of the save that i used to reproduce the issue is looking good. All meshes seem to showing fine now, thank you very much. I will do a more thorough testing later on and report any issues.

Few questions;

1. What's the difference between generate texture atlas in dyndolod vs texgen output? If both are needed, do they have to have matching resolutions?

2. What large ref settings do you recommend?

3. What was the issue, was it the mesh with windows?

1. TexGen generates single LOD textures. The texture atlas is one big texture with all the single texture combined. The TexGen size sets the size of a single LOD texture. The Max Tile drop down is a filter setting, any texture larger than that will not be used on the atlas, it will be used directly.

2. Depends on the used plugins and how much they edit existing large references and how much the visual problems bother you. Obviously, dynamic LOD already somewhat covers what large references tries to accomplish, without the bugs and with less performance impact for many more objects and more importantly also for new objects and worlds added by mods. Like most new "improved" features of Skyrim SE it's probably best to be disabled.

3. Large reference data in DynDOLOD.esm was not generated correctly in case generating DynDOLOD is not checked

Edited by sheson
  • +1 1