SSE & Modding - The early days

So vivid Landscapes cause a CTD I tracked one texture down which was "textures\architecture\farmhouse\wovenfence01_n.dds"

Why? I have no idea, Im not a texture guy.

Now that's new... textures going awire, missing, transparent, whatever... ok. But crashing ? oO 

The "basic" statement on texture replacer is :

- Most landscape texture need to be updated, or they'll look kinda plastic.

- Everything else should work normally as long as it's .dds (there is some old mods using .tga, but seldome as replacers)

- Some textures, especially darker ones, can look out of place due to changes in the overall color palette (going from "nice dark" to "ridiculously dark").

- No parallax since there is no ENB and no built-in support.

A few ones should be avoided, or tested thoroughly before being labeled "SSE ready" : Those for elements that changed (water textures, snow stuffs, grass/foliage). Might also be some issue (visual, not technical) with face textures since they changed stuffs about facegen, but I've seen reports that those were still ok.

Edited by Kesta

I mean, try it, coc riverwood... Im curious if its just me. Its one of those ones where I just shrug.

The archive I got this from was Vivid Landscapes - All in One - Loose Files 2048-49344-2-8.7z

I don't wait for the whole approval thing, half the mods are littered with errors which I guess is because USSEP is currently not marked as an ESM and if people forget, the CK can screw things pretty bad.

I'm about to test (downloading this big ass archive).

There is the problem with ESM being loaded before the DLCs still around, thus the USSEP issue.

As far as modding is concerned, I just took a deep delve into the SSE nexus (i.e. downloaded and checked about 90% of the mods there). There really is a lot of endorsement ***** in this world... seriously, the map marker guy didn't even bother to provide an all in one version, nor a single page... two mod pages, for a game that by default have all the DLCs... and that's not the only one who just went the "quick, if I publish it first, I'll be on the top files" way.

Hopefully the community will be smart enough to avoid giving any kind of visibility to those and wait for modders with some decency and respect for their users to do things properly.

If anyone is willing to contribute to the community in a useful way, consider downloading USSEP and SMIM and reporting any bugs to the respective authors, there really is a LOT to check for both, more than a single man can handle.

I actually just wrote something for the map markers guy, yes I had a good laugh.

I want a new UI, I don't care about all the fancy features of skyui, if I had the setup, I'd consider rolling my own solution.

Also the Ck beta is bs, should release the same day because apparently it has some magical updating thing

Also the water doesn't flow as natural as I like, if I had the Ck, I'd take a look into a solution

Also, how does one use nmm, what is the overwrite order. I'm not a new user but this is hidden and it should be something users are very aware of.

Although, I enable stuff and it just works, no need to add random applications to a list to get them to work. It still would be nice to have the ability to add launch args to the recognized executables

Yeah, NMM isn't nearly as convenient as MO, but it'll have to do. I still don't trust MO2, and even less with the workaround to get it working with SSE (honestly, I'd even say this is dangerous because of the new .bsa format). Check old BABY's page, I had some tips in there for people who switched from MO to NMM iirc.

Just tested the texture. You're 100% right, it just crash the game instantly when cocing to riverwood. Just WOW. Need serious investigations.

Edit: Reported to people who could actually figure out what the heck is going on.

Edited by Kesta

Also, how does one use nmm, what is the overwrite order.

This is exactly my problem. I gave up on installing mods that haven't been officially ported yet for now. Large builds are impossible to manage with NMM I feel.. For now I use it just to have a list for the must have mods that have already been released on the SSE Nexus.

That texture problem is interesting.. and it might even be a good thing in a weird way. As in, simply stealing older texture packs without revising them might result in CTDs in SSE. Perhaps that will make people think twice before uploading the work of another

By the way, I just went to enbdev to see what Boris is up to and it looks like he at least got his game running. There's hope! ::P:

Edited by Pretendeavor

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.