Dynamic Distant Objects LOD - DynDOLOD 2.18

sheson

Question

DynDOLOD 2.18 condensed update post

What’s New?

This is a simple maintenance update to address a bug and add updates for a couple mods.

See Full update post for 2.xx update instructions

Some Assembly Required

Caranthir Tower Reborn - DynDOLOD Resources contains an optimized full model of the tower for a little bit more performance friendly Neverfade LOD. Mesh rules also add LOD for the stone dragon and the portal building.

Optional: to sync concealing/revealing the tower from far distances install and overwrite the two original scripts with the ones from DynDOLOD Patches.

Verified working out of the box - included rules

Trollstigen

Verified working out of the box - added/updated meshes and/or textures

Killian Castle

Lyngwi - A Nordic Village

Fixes include

Fixed sometimes not falling back to billboard when generating ultra trees by Monobloc

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.18]DynDOLOD.exe - fixed sometimes not falling back to billboard when generating ultra trees

DynDOLOD.exe - add the worldspace Master as activate parent for Never Fade LOD/Full LOD objects

DynDOLOD.exe - set VWD on original base records used for dynamic LOD only as well

TexGen.exe - sync updates with DynDOLOD.exe

TexGen.exe - fixed generation of dlc01castlefortlod.dds

TexGen.exe - generation for impwood01lod.dds

Papyrus Scripts - activate worldspace Master in case the activate all function is called

DynDOLOD_Manual.html - updated compatibility information for several mods

DynDOLOD Resources - updated/added meshes/textures for better compatibility with mods

DynDOLOD Patches - added script patches for Caranthir Tower Reborn

See Full update post for full changelog, fully detailed update instructions and updated compatibility information for Skryim mods.

DynDOLOD 2.17

Hi, for the first time in, well, forever I am getting a CTD related to DynDOLOD.  I have just completed another overhaul to my load order and run dyndolod again without any changes to settings from those I've always used.  However now every time I try to start a game (new games, no saves) as soon as I click New Game > Yes in main menu I crash to desktop.  No crash fixes message.  If I disable dyndolod.esp I can start a new game without any issue.  I have checked everything in dyndolod.esp thoroughly in xEdit, there are no errors and I can't see any issues.  There were no messages in the dyndolod log indicating any errors.  It doesn't appear to be anything memory related, monitoring with SPM doesn't show any spike in CPU or GPU usage prior to the crash.  I have tried rerunning DynDOLOD several times leaving different combinations of final patches/CR disabled each time in case it was something I'd screwed up there but makes no difference.  I am running Holds The City Overhaul but as per their OP am leaving the patches disabled while running DynDOLOD (I have tried with and without, makes no difference).  I am also running Paper World Map, but again makes no difference if it is enabled or disabled when running DynDOLOD.  Holds and PWM are new additions so may be something there but I can't see what.

I've spent two days already on this, where should I be looking?

Are you saying the game crashes the very moment you click "New Game / Yes" in main menu? Then you might have some very odd mod combination and data carried forward from another mod may be causing this or a corrupt plugin. Do you have EnableDiagnostics=1 in SKSE.INI?

Try coc whiterun from main menu console.

Have you checked all plugins for errors in xEdit and fixed them all?

Have you changed the load order priority after generation? Try sorting masters with xEdit.

Make sure the papyrus scripts are up-to-date. This could be related to PapyrusUtil. Which version?

Upload generation log so I can look for mods and hints for what might be causing this.

Edited by sheson

I've found glitch in Whiterun. The windows on the Grey Mane's house in Whiterun seems to have an extra asset from Dyndolod that is floating outside the main mesh. When I click on it in the console, it says Dyndolod.esp is the last plugin to work on the mesh (see red square in image). This is using version 218 with 218 patches and resources. I don't have any city overhaul mods installed, but am using the HD-LOD Buildings mod.

xkqmZpf.jpg

Edited by KLWaster

I've found glitch in Whiterun. The windows on the Grey Mane's house in Whiterun seems to have an extra asset from Dyndolod that is floating outside the main mesh. When I click on it in the console, it says Dyndolod.esp is the last plugin to work on the mesh (see red square in image). This is using version 218 with 218 patches and resources. I don't have any city overhaul mods installed, but am using the HD-LOD Buildings mod.

Looks like a save game update gone wrong. Test if problem also happens with a new game by using coc whiterunexterior01 from main menu console and walking into the city.

Edited by sheson

Looks like a save game update gone wrong. Test if problem also happens with a new game by using coc whiterunexterior01 from main menu console and walking into the city.

This is a new game -- just got to Whiterun from Riverwood, haven't even hit level 2 yet.

EDIT: having said that, if I start another new game and jump straight to WR, you are correct, the problem isn't there. 

Is there any way to force it to rebuild? (short of starting over.) 

Edited by KLWaster

Are you saying the game crashes the very moment you click "New Game / Yes" in main menu? Then you might have some very odd mod combination and data carried forward from another mod may be causing this or a corrupt plugin. 

That's exactly what's happening (with a very slight pause of maybe a second)

Do you have EnableDiagnostics=1 in SKSE.INI?

This is my current SKSE.ini:

[Display]
;fix for problem with overlay texture like tatoo
iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]
;Skse try to clean unused script, can't harm anything 
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
;show missing esp when you try to load a save
EnableDiagnostics=1

;Sheson memory patch
;[Memory]
;DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1280
;ScrapHeapSizeMB=512

;[Debug]
;WriteMinidumps=1

So yep, EnableDiagnostics is on. Using Crash Fixes hence memory patch commented out.  Like I said I know there are no missing plugins/masters/critical errors as the game starts perfectly every time without DynDOLOD activated.

Try coc whiterun from main menu console.

OK, I'll give that a try

Have you checked all plugins for errors in xEdit and fixed them all?

Yes, been on with this build for about six months, know it pretty much inside out. Been through them all again and there are no new errors I can see.  I have one or two navmesh errors which have been there forever and never caused an issue before.

Have you changed the load order priority after generation? Try sorting masters with xEdit.

No, I haven't changed the load order.  I'm running Paper World Map as I mentioned, and I have tried both running DynDOLOD without it enabled and enabling it afterwards, last in load order as PWM OP states, and also tried generating DynDOLOD with it active then cleaning masters, which removes PWM, and moving PWM below DynDOLOD.  I'll try sort masters anyway but I doubt it will make any difference.

Make sure the papyrus scripts are up-to-date. This could be related to PapyrusUtil. Which version?

Papyrus scripts are latest version and PapyrusUtil Modders Resource is placed pretty much at the bottom of my left pane and is not being overwritten by anything.

Upload generation log so I can look for mods and hints for what might be causing this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1L2ydV_CsIVSk03NHYtbFk2dlU

That log I think contains the last few generations.  You'll find one error about Worldspace bounds out of range.  This was in one of the Holds patches I had merged.  I assume this is a wild edit, and corrected it in the merged plugin prior to the next run.  Initially the Holds patches were included in a merge along with all my other compatibility patches (plugin named One Patch To Rule Them All.esp). Latterly I removed them from that merge and they are now in Holds Patches.esp so I could test various combinations of running the generation with and without them included.

I hope something in there helps because this one is driving me nuts!

Edited by dunc001

This is a new game -- just got to Whiterun from Riverwood, haven't even hit level 2 yet.

EDIT: having said that, if I start another new game and jump straight to WR, you are correct, the problem isn't there. 

Is there any way to force it to rebuild? (short of starting over.) 

If a new save doesn't have the problem, do follow the clean save procedure. Go inside a buildings, save and remove DynDOLOD.esp from load order. Load last save, wait a bit, save again. Now enable DynDOLOD.esp and load last save. The problem should be gone.

Update - OK coc whiterun from Main Menu doesn't cause a CTD, but does end up in an infinite load screen.  I'm using Skyrim Unbound though so could be something to do with that?

ILS is an indicator something just runs out of memory. Since you are not using memory patch, but crash fixes with UseOSAllocators=1 and our pre-loader, you may have to adjust CustomMemoryBlockTotalSizeMb while using CustomMemoryBlock=1. You may want to check its discussion thread for pointers - it just should not have ILS. You could also quickly check with old memory patch instead. Though the DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1280 seems unusually high. Did you actually derive that number from checking with Memory Blocks Logs back when it was active?

On a first glimpse, try to generate without based patch. Your load order is quote big. Can you let me know which mods are masters in DynDOLOD.esp?

If none of the above helps just yet, a quick method to narrowing down things is to make a backup of DynDOLOD.esp and then start removing certain data from the esp and see if anything changes.

I would start by removing all Worldspaces not Tamriel to see if it starts only with it. Then remove all temporary cells, then the persistent cell. Whenever it it starts to load take note of what you removed last, restore from backup and remove only half of what you removed before that it made it work. You get the picture. No need to try to narrow it down to the last record, just try to remove as much data as you can while it still has the problem. Then let me know and/or upload that esp.

Edited by sheson

I have previously adjusted the Custom Memory block size in Crash Fixes. It is set at 150, and that gives me 80-95%.  And the 1280 figure was not something I ever used - I think it was a hang over from an earlier desperate attempt to get something working! Bashed Patch isn't a master for DynDOLOD.  I've been focusing on the Holds patches and found issues in several of them which I have corrected, but I don't think that has been the issue as the patches merge was disabled when I ran the current generation.  I'm going to test another hunch, and if it doesn't bear fruit I'll follow your instructions on narrowing things down in the DynDOLOD.esp.  Thanks for taking time to assist, much appreciated.

If a new save doesn't have the problem, do follow the clean save procedure. Go inside a buildings, save and remove DynDOLOD.esp from load order. Load last save, wait a bit, save again. Now enable DynDOLOD.esp and load last save. The problem should be gone.

Clean save did the trick -- thanks for the help. 

If none of the above helps just yet, a quick method to narrowing down things is to make a backup of DynDOLOD.esp and then start removing certain data from the esp and see if anything changes.

I would start by removing all Worldspaces not Tamriel to see if it starts only with it. Then remove all temporary cells, then the persistent cell. Whenever it it starts to load take note of what you removed last, restore from backup and remove only half of what you removed before that it made it work. You get the picture. No need to try to narrow it down to the last record, just try to remove as much data as you can while it still has the problem. Then let me know and/or upload that esp.

OK, I'm on with this now.  So should I only be focusing on methodically removing worldspace records?  My DynDOLOD.esp also has Activator, Container, Door, Furniture, Keyword, Moveable Static, Quest , Static and Tree in it.  So far I have removed everything from Worldspace with the exception of Tamriel Persistent, and from that I have removed all carried forward records so only the ones contained only in DynDOLOD still remain, and it is still crashing.  I'll carry on thinning.

OK, I'm on with this now.  So should I only be focusing on methodically removing worldspace records?  My DynDOLOD.esp also has Activator, Container, Door, Furniture, Keyword, Moveable Static, Quest , Static and Tree in it.  So far I have removed everything from Worldspace with the exception of Tamriel Persistent, and from that I have removed all carried forward records so only the ones contained only in DynDOLOD still remain, and it is still crashing.  I'll carry on thinning.

Also Line by line disable, then test if it loads these 3 possibilities.

Meshes/Textures folder so we are not confused by static/tree LOD

SKSE folder which contains the data for the dynamic LOD objects

All Core files including the Scripts, but also Meshes/Textures so that no scripting is active

If you managed to narrow it down to a worldspace, try to remove data in batches. Typicaly the half things works the fasted.

It can be the world or cell record itself. So try removing entire content  first.

You should keep the base records like ACTI, DOOR, TREE, STAT, MSTT because they are needed by references in the worldspaces. But if nothing else if left to remove. then try those as a hole.

Use "Clean masters" function as well after removing data.

You could also try to generate LOD for a reduced load order without the mods you find the most likely to not cause any problems. Just copy to a new MO profile and work of that.

First see if only generating for Tamriel with full load order also has the problem. Then you save the time generating for all worlds, or you might find it only happens when some other worldspace is part of the generation which could also provide clues.

Edited by sheson
  • +1 1

I spent three and a half hours on it last night. Started by removing all other worldspaces - CTD. Removed everything but persistent from Tamriel - CTD.  Removed all overwrite records from persistent - CTD. This left me with just the DynDOLOD unique records in Tamriel>>Persistent.  Then started reducing by halfs, which took forever at 8 minutes a time to xEdit/save/load game/crash.  I finally got it down to what I thought was a range of 256, then 128, 64, 32, 16...and finally no crash.  So I added back in the last 8 records I'd removed to confirm the range of records containing the issue and it bloody loaded!  So I added a hundred or so more records back in and it still loaded!  Adding more back in I could induce the crash again but I now have no idea what's going on!  I'm going to try again tonight, and will try generating without the one or two mods enabled which I suspect are the root cause (most likely the Homes and Locations merged plugin, although I can't see why as this has been included in numerous previous generations without issue).  Anyway, I'll persist as there's no way I'm going to let this get the better of me...

I spent three and a half hours on it last night. Started by removing all other worldspaces - CTD. Removed everything but persistent from Tamriel - CTD.  Removed all overwrite records from persistent - CTD. This left me with just the DynDOLOD unique records in Tamriel>>Persistent.  Then started reducing by halfs, which took forever at 8 minutes a time to xEdit/save/load game/crash.  I finally got it down to what I thought was a range of 256, then 128, 64, 32, 16...and finally no crash.  So I added back in the last 8 records I'd removed to confirm the range of records containing the issue and it bloody loaded!  So I added a hundred or so more records back in and it still loaded!  Adding more back in I could induce the crash again but I now have no idea what's going on!  I'm going to try again tonight, and will try generating without the one or two mods enabled which I suspect are the root cause (most likely the Homes and Locations merged plugin, although I can't see why as this has been included in numerous previous generations without issue).  Anyway, I'll persist as there's no way I'm going to let this get the better of me...

You can upload the "cleaned" esp that still crashes with the "few" records so I can try to replicate and have a look to.