Landscape Texture Transition Fix (by JmV)

hellanios

Anybody know if this is a retexture, a mesh fix or a plugin-based or other fix?

A retexture obviates it for STEP, and mesh might as well, because it will likely conflict with current and vital mods in STEP. However, if the fix is by some other mechanism, then it seems very applicable.

OK, I see it is a plugin ... but how does one 'paint' a record? I am assuming that this is an opacity setting?

EDIT: Examining in TesEdit shows "vertext height map" changes to "alpha layer" ... so seems to be adjusting opacity (but I do not pretend to understand how)

Looks like an essential fix that we need to use (the only conflicts seem to be skyrim.esm and update.esm)

Marked for testing

OK, I see it is a plugin ... but how does one 'paint' a record? I am assuming that this is an opacity setting?

EDIT: Examining in TesEdit shows "vertext height map" changes to "alpha layer" ... so seems to be adjusting opacity (but I do not pretend to understand how)

Looks like an essential fix that we need to use (the only conflicts seem to be skyrim.esm and update.esm)

Marked for testing

It's done in the Creation Kit, by using the landscape tool to change the texture assigned to terrain (by painting it with said tool)

What it changes is the Landscape record of each cell.

This happens when the maximum texture limit is reached for each cell. I am betting you just very slightly erase or paint in between the problem cells and it corrects itself. Bethesda need to find a better solution or somehing as I don't  remember seeing it in other games ever.

Strangely, I've never come across any of those ugly textures in-game, or I wasn't paying attention. I'll probably find them now, because of this awareness. So the red box is the area he's worked on so far? He's got a long way to go, but I wish him some patience to get it all done.

e7qdUM.jpg

One concern with this mod is the fact that in order to make the edits to landscape records, the parent worldspace cell records have to be included, which is what any other mod with exterior worldspace edits (not necessarily to the landscape) will also have.

Not knowing what anyone might be using for other mods, the default for those parent worldspace records has to be vanilla plus any USKP fixes.

This means the mod's plugin needs to load as early / high up as possible so that changes made by other mods don't get reverted back to vanilla state.

For this reason, the author has included an .esm version of the plugin, which should presumably load just before Hearthfire.esm or maybe after the USKP .esm (not sure, and this would need to be checked).

Point being, load order is very important, and if included in STEP, whether to use the .esm or .esp verison is an important consideration.

Nico has mentioned it https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/3999-bug-fixes-recommended-in-addition-to-the-unofficial-patches/page-4&do=findComment&comment=155482

So it may get hoovered up by the UPP sometime in the future - Everyone is having a break from UPP playing Witcher 3 recently.

After that post, Arthmoor stated that landscape data edits are not something that will be considered for the UP, basically for the reasons I've outlined above.

Agree. It will need to be handled same way as the USPs. It doesn't make any sense that the USP team will not cover these edits, because a merge with USKP seems like the best place for these edits (so that other plugin creators tend to forward the changes in their own mods).

Maybe they think it is too much work or breaks some of the current USP changes?