Original Support Topic (feel free to create more specific support topics)

Kelmych

Question

Clear and Present Danger - A guide for modding Fallout 3

This thread is for reporting problems when using the "Clear and Present Danger guide for Fallout 3". This includes errors in the guide, problems in following the guide, problems with the mods included in the guide, and problems running Fallout 3 when following this guide.

Please post any problems such as these in this forum. It's also best to post them here vs. sending me a PM. Often I won't have an answer but the other readers of this forum might have a good answer.

Hello,

I am using Better High Detail Map and Icons and followed the directions to change the <height> to 650 on lines 149, 268, and 393, but am still getting the map off screen.

Did I miss something?  Screenshot and map_menu.xml attached.

Thanks,

diznanl

If the large 8K map is selected, the Pipboy menu selections below the map in the Pipboy screen are difficult to activate. To fix this:
Right click the mod in the left panel of MO and selectOpen in explorer.
Using Notepad++ (or an equivalently capable editor) open menus\main\map_menu.xml.
In lines 149, 268, and 393 change 660 to 650.
Close the explorer window.
Note that if the Pipboy Readius or Pip-Boy2500  mod is used instead of the Hi-Res Pip-Boy 3000 mod, these line numbers and height values will be different.

When this map mod is used some users find the text on the map more readible if the Pipboy HUD color is set to white; I use it with Amber HUD color.
If the HUD color isn't already the desired color, in the ingame menu choose "Settings>Display" to change the Pipboy color.
			<!-- ===== LOCAL MAP ===== -->
			<hotrect name="MM_LocalMap_ClipWindow">
				<clipwindow> &true; </clipwindow>
				<x> -65 </x>
				<y> -9 </y>
				<width> 980 </width>
				<height> 650 </height>
				<visible>
					<copy src="MM_Tabline" trait="_CurrentTab"/>
					<eq> 0 </eq>
				</visible>
				<target> &false; </target>
				<locus> &true; </locus>

post-723-0-87530700-1420421730_thumb.jpg

map_menu.xml

I was able to fix the issue by changing line 55 to 710 and the rest of the directions worked (changing  the <height> to 650 on lines 149, 268, and 393).

Thanks!,

diznanl

Hello,

I am using Better High Detail Map and Icons and followed the directions to change the <height> to 650 on lines 149, 268, and 393, but am still getting the map off screen.

Did I miss something?  Screenshot and map_menu.xml attached.

Thanks,

diznanl

If the large 8K map is selected, the Pipboy menu selections below the map in the Pipboy screen are difficult to activate. To fix this:
Right click the mod in the left panel of MO and selectOpen in explorer.
Using Notepad++ (or an equivalently capable editor) open menus\main\map_menu.xml.
In lines 149, 268, and 393 change 660 to 650.
Close the explorer window.
Note that if the Pipboy Readius or Pip-Boy2500  mod is used instead of the Hi-Res Pip-Boy 3000 mod, these line numbers and height values will be different.

When this map mod is used some users find the text on the map more readible if the Pipboy HUD color is set to white; I use it with Amber HUD color.
If the HUD color isn't already the desired color, in the ingame menu choose "Settings>Display" to change the Pipboy color.
			<!-- ===== LOCAL MAP ===== -->
			<hotrect name="MM_LocalMap_ClipWindow">
				<clipwindow> &true; </clipwindow>
				<x> -65 </x>
				<y> -9 </y>
				<width> 980 </width>
				<height> 650 </height>
				<visible>
					<copy src="MM_Tabline" trait="_CurrentTab"/>
					<eq> 0 </eq>
				</visible>
				<target> &false; </target>
				<locus> &true; </locus>

Hi, I had a question about some of the Type3 armors listed under "Exeter's Type 3 female armor and outfits."  Four of them include .esp which I'd like to disable. At the moment I'm just trying to get only texture/mesh replacers and not new armors. I'm not quite up to par on reading actual .esp changes in *Edit yet so I wanted to see what you thought.

• Point Lookout outfits for Type 3: Lookout Outfits.esp
  • Type3 Leather Armors: T3_leather armors.esp
  • Type3 Businesswear: Tattered_suits.esp
  • Freebooter Armor for Type3: Freebooter_Armors.esp

• Point Lookout: The esp is only there to add the clothes to the Homestead Motel? I think I should be able to disable.
  • Type3 Leather Armor: The esp just adds 2 new armors and places them in the world? I could disable the .esp, then find out which textures/meshes ones are the new ones and hide them.
  • Type3 Businesswear: I'm not clear on this one. Is it only new or are there replacers?
  • Freebooter Armor for Type3: The entire mod is new armors correct?

I haven't seen this problem myself; the directions in the guide have worked for me. I'll look at the effect of changing line 55.

Actually I was intending to post about this one myself, Kelmych. I hadn't looked too hard into it but will try the fix suggested by dinzanl. 

Edited by Nozzer66

Sorry for 3 posts in a row...

Kelmych, following the basic UI install as per the guide, it would appear that Adjustable UI isn't adjusting. Cant get anything to move.

If I were a betting man I'd say it was something to do with a hud_menu_xml but it was late when I was playing with it yesterday so didn't get too far.

The hud_main_menu.xml used in the game needs to be the one from "DarnUI Support for FWE" or else the FWE additions to the DarN UI menu won't work. That's why I put that mod as the last one to be installed before UIO. I'll have to play with Ahud to see what is happening. I though aHUD used the prefab templates and that the hud_main_menu.xml was there only for situations where aHUD was the only UI mod loaded. I haven't tried to use aHUD since installing UIO; I'll have to try it and see if I also have the same problem. It possible that "DarnUI Support for FWE" should install before aHUD and iHUD, but if this is done the "hud_main_menu.xml" files from these mods need to be hidden.

Actually Kelmych... I got it working even easier.

Just use the external fomod installer, no MO's internal one and it seems to work. And you can change the 3 660s to 650's.

I didn't use the FOMM - fork mod for any of the installations. I installed the legacy script support mod so the external NCC installer used this mod vs. the original NCC installer. When doing this I didn't see any mods where files were overwritten during the installation. MO used the external installer for several of the UI mods. It did seem to behave a little oddly when installing Better High Detail Map and Icons.

Hi, I had a question about some of the Type3 armors listed under "Exeter's Type 3 female armor and outfits."  Four of them include .esp which I'd like to disable. At the moment I'm just trying to get only texture/mesh replacers and not new armors. I'm not quite up to par on reading actual .esp changes in *Edit yet so I wanted to see what you thought.

• Point Lookout outfits for Type 3: Lookout Outfits.esp
  • Type3 Leather Armors: T3_leather armors.esp
  • Type3 Businesswear: Tattered_suits.esp
  • Freebooter Armor for Type3: Freebooter_Armors.esp

• Point Lookout: The esp is only there to add the clothes to the Homestead Motel? I think I should be able to disable.
  • Type3 Leather Armor: The esp just adds 2 new armors and places them in the world? I could disable the .esp, then find out which textures/meshes ones are the new ones and hide them.
  • Type3 Businesswear: I'm not clear on this one. Is it only new or are there replacers?
  • Freebooter Armor for Type3: The entire mod is new armors correct?

All 4 of these mods add new armor; they do not replace any vanilla armor. If the plugin is not used then the armor/clothing will not show up anywhere in the game. These armor/clothes are only available in the containers added in the associated plugin. Ideally these armors/clothing would be added to one or more Leveled lists so they would be available at vendors and as loot and worn by game NPCs, but there is no current plugin that does this.  Perhaps I or someone else will have time to create a plugin that includes leveled lists which adds some of the armor, clothing, and weapons in the guide that aren't in any of the existing leveled lists. These plugins could also eliminate the need for the plugins included in the individual mods.

I haven't started creating any such new plugins yet for FO3; I'm still working on getting the appropriate Wrye Bash tags into LOOT and looking into plugins to fix some compatibility issues.

Sorry for 3 posts in a row...

Kelmych, following the basic UI install as per the guide, it would appear that Adjustable UI isn't adjusting. Cant get anything to move.

If I were a betting man I'd say it was something to do with a hud_menu_xml but it was late when I was playing with it yesterday so didn't get too far.

I looked into this and there is a disconnect between "aHUD" and "UIO". "aHUD" was modified after the last release of "UIO" and they aren't quite in sync. I changed the "aHUD" installation instructions in the guide so it will work properly with "UIO". "aHUD" changed the hud_menu_xml file to load a new aHUD prefab file rather than the standard "darn" prefab file; "UIO" doesn't know about the "aHUD" changes to the main hud_menu_xml file. Personally I feel "aHUD" should have just put the revised prefab file into the "darn" prefab folder and had it overwrite the existing file from Darnified UI (that's what the new guide instructions do).

Maybe some of the other users might have ideas on this. I just got through reinstalling everything from scratch and I followed the guide while doing it, making small changes in the guide when there were problems. I didn't have any problems with the UI section except the small problem with aHUD mentioned above. Did you look at the troubleshooting section of the guide to see if it helps? There were some problems with Mod Organizer 1.2.15 and it is replaced by version 1.2.16. Have you tried the new version of MO?

Hello,

after installing the UI section I checked to see if the game works as directed by the guide, but it cashed... so I started over.

This time I am unable to install part 1 of FWE an I get this popup.  

attachicon.gifanexceptionoccured.png

This is an established bug with MO unfortunately. The easiest way around this is to edit the archive and remove the fomod folder. MO will then treat it as any other mod and you can manage the optional plugins with the MO GUI.

Sadly the instructions worked fine with MO 1.2.14 and the Legacy Script support. The script handling capabilities added in MO 1.2.16 apparently don't provide as much script capability as the Legacy Script support did (this mod is unfortunately longer available). I'll see if there are other alternatives that allow using the fomod scripts. Meanwhile use the workaround that GrantSP provided .