Original Support Topic (feel free to create more specific support topics)

Kelmych

Question

Clear and Present Danger - A guide for modding Fallout 3

This thread is for reporting problems when using the "Clear and Present Danger guide for Fallout 3". This includes errors in the guide, problems in following the guide, problems with the mods included in the guide, and problems running Fallout 3 when following this guide.

Please post any problems such as these in this forum. It's also best to post them here vs. sending me a PM. Often I won't have an answer but the other readers of this forum might have a good answer.

Looks like I forgot to include the FWE patch for Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision in the guide. I'll add it.

IMCN description says it is compatible with FWE and MMM (optional mod in guide) when using the additional plugins including the updated optional versions for FWE and MMM. The readme.txt for IMCN describes how to manually add the HUD readout to menusmainhud_main_menu.xml; this isn't quite right for the setup in the guide. Two choices:

("best", but not recommended because it might lead to having to reinstall all the UI mods) Install IMCN before (lower MO priority) Adjustable HUD (which is itself just before Immersive HUD) and then redo the installation of Immersive HUD and Unified HUD.

(my preference would be this) Install IMCN before Adjustable HUD (which is itself just before Immersive HUD). Then add the line:

<include src="IMCNimp.xml" />

to the bottom of the file "includes_HUDMainMenu.xml" in the "Unified HUD" mod. This file is in the menusprefabs folder of the installed version of Unified HUD. You will see other similar entries in this file.

What about Installation?

I need to install FO3 on a drive seperate from my OS as I wont have the extra space on it to install the game without deleting too many things that I need on a daily basis.

I try to launch the Fallout3.exe and I get this error 

"The ordinal 42 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:/Windows/SYSTEM32/xlive.dll."

The game is intsalled in a new steam library on D: drive. and xlive? Sounds like an xbox thing of which I have nothing of on my PC. 

sounds like its trying to look for windows live, did you run the disabler? https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/1086

Open the zip file, or extract the contents of the zip file, and double click Games for Windows LIVE Disabler.exe. Click the Disable GFWL button, then exit.

This utility stops Fallout 3 from using the (now obsolete) xlive.dll used for connection to Games for Windows Live. If GFWL is not disabled and the Fallout 3 executable has the LAA flag set, Fallout will have a CTD during launch. The FOSE extender discussed below is also incompatible with GFWL.

Doesn't work. I get an error message saying that the game must not have run yet and can't locate the fallout.ini

Which would be accurate because I can't get the game to open at all. So I moved the Live Disabler to the location of the fallout_default.ini to be make sure that wouldnt work... it didnt.... then i made a copy of the ini... renamed it simply fallout.ini .... still same message from the disabler

"Cannot find your FALLOUT.INI! This usually means you haven't run Fallout 3 yet...please do so before running the disabler again." 

Which puts me back to the first issue of not being able to run the game. 

yeah, I couldn't find anything for this issue in there though...unless im just crazy and missed it (which could be the case)... i shall check again

Also, all of my direct X stuff is up to date. I run skyrim just fine and had to update it to do so. 

I got windows live installed (which was funny because windows live could not launch but did install right). I then ran the disabler. It worked. Says windows live is disabled. No DLC to move (I have GOTY edition?). Then I click the "exit" button on the disabler.

Try to launch Fallout3.exe and now I get this error

"Application load error 5:0000065434"

=(

Kelmych,

Do you use the load order of FWE according to the mod instructions with loot meta rules? https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/2761/? if you scroll half way down you can see them. Or do you let loot auto sort the load order? Thanks.

GP,

Do you have FO3 GOTY on steam, if so is it on a different drive from steam? I know you mentioned moving your FO3 stuff to a different drive. Did you install GFWL in the default directory on your main drive? Did you try running FO3 before disabling the xlive.dll?

Edited by D1Z4STR

FO3 GOTY on steam, yes. The main steam installation is on C drive. Game is on D drive. Steam gave me the option to dowload the game to a new Steam Library location. Created the library on the D drive from steam itself. 

I then went back just now and installed GFWL on both drives. Tried every combination of enabling/disabling with the disabler and still the same error. 

Tried running FO3 with and without xlive. no good. Maybe I'm going to be forced to run the game on the main drive? But if i do i wont be able to run the game I don't think for space purposes. will try something. 

Only thing I can think of is install the game normally on C: like your other steam games, and install Mod Organizer (if you use that) on the D: drive. (most free space for mods) Hope both your drives are SSD ;)

Edited by D1Z4STR