General Feedback

RH_IRONSIGHTS

I'm finding I'm having some issues with RH_Ironsights.

For me, the ironsights don't work for the Assault Rifle, Chinese Assault Rifle, Laser Rifle and probably others. The view zooms slightly, I get the screen blur, and the crosshairs are removed, but the weapon is not moved into the proper ironsights position. The ironsights for many weapons do work, however.

To troubleshoot, I tried removing and reinstalling by performing the following steps (I have FWE, WMK and RH_Ironsights installed, and no weapons-related non-Core mods):

1. Installed Paradox merged version of RH_Ironsights
2. Installed the FO3RA and FWE patches (using MO's merged option). I renamed the RH_FWE file that came with the FWE patch and moved it to optional esps.
3. Installed RH_Ironsights FWE- WMK compatible by stabbycat (using MO's merged option).
4. Installed FWE_Ironsights 8 included (just the files specified, using MO's merged option).
*Note: The first time I performed steps 2, 3 and 4, I installed them as separately-named mods, and ordered them in the left pane in the guide's listed order.
5. Ran LOOT (using the guide's userlist file).
6. Cleaned RH_IRONSIGHTS.esm and the WMK - FWE Master Release file with FO3Edit.
7. Ensured all of the plugin and master files were enabled.
8. Used Wrye Flash to create Bashed Patch.

Another issue I have with the mod is that it (or at least the merged version used by the guide) adds a lot of weapons to the game, and those weapons aren't balanced for FWE nor do I believe they can be modified with WMK. These ill-fitting weapons end up having a pretty overwhelming impact on a few leveled lists, so that raiders and Talon Company mercs frequently drop them over the "better" FWE weapons.

The way I addressed this was to use FO3Edit to remove the following top-level groups: Cell, Container, Leveled Item, Non-Player Character, World. I believe this has had the desired effect of preventing the offending weapons from appearing in the game without affecting the core functionality of the mod. I don't know if these hacks would be suitable for the guide, but I thought I'd mention them just in case.

However, unless I can figure out why RH_Ironsights works so inconsistently with my install I'll probably end up removing it, as cool as the mod is. Hopefully someone can point something out that I missed, though.

Other issues:

I've noticed some issues with the latest version of LOOT (0.80). Sometimes when I launch it the text will be scrambled, and once it crashed on me during the sorting process. Otherwise it seems to work OK.

I traced a game-freezing issue to the Tweaked Automat mod. When I went to report this on the Nexus page, I found that another user had as well.

Good thought. The only weapon mesh/texture mod I have installed is Hall of Weapons. I tried disabling that (and Precision Clutter for good measure) but still had the issues described above. However, I loaded up a stripped-down MO profile and that resolved my issues, so I have some narrowing-down to do to see where the conflict lies.

Edited by Tukka

RH_Ironsights support is limited to a subset of the weapons, and there are conflicts with other weapon mods including WMK (sometimes), Precision Clutter (the guide says to disable the weapon meshes to avoid problems with this), Millenia weapons (no RH_Ironsight support with very few exceptions), the Christopher Walker retextures (limited support for RH_Ironsights) and Impact (limited RH_Ironsights support). RH_Ironsights needs a different model (mesh file) tht is compatible with RH_Ironsights for the weapon than the vanilla one, and also needs for first person animation to be enabled. Wrye Flash helps a little but not a lot since the record types needed for RH_Ironsights aren't directly supported by the bash tags. If you are using EVE and the Blackened patches, and make sure the Blackened patches are loaded late in load order you will have reasonable RH_Ironsights support. It seems like every weapon mod modifies the existing Assault rifles rather than creating new ones that are based on the assault rifle with new names  :facepalm: . You'll need to use FO3Edit to see what is happening. In my game for the Chinese assault rifle, as an example, the Blackened patches are the last to load and they provide RH_Ironsights and WMK support. They do not support the weapon retexture mods changes or the records changed by Impact.

Which weapons do you find unbalanced? There are FWE patches for all the weapons in the game that I'm aware of; admittedly it can be difficult to ensure that the proper stats from the appropriate patches are the ones used. Eventually I'll likely have to make a large patch to cover the weapons in the guide and the changes by various mods. There is a mod on Nexus that started to do this, but it isn't currently available.

So, somewhat embarrassingly, I tracked the problem to a mod of my own making, which as it turns out was adding the "Don't Use 1st Person IS Animations" flag to certain weapons. Adding the NoMerge bash tag to that mod fixed the issue without compromising its intended function. Thanks for the support.

Which weapons do you find unbalanced? There are FWE patches for all the weapons in the game that I'm aware of;

For me, none of the weapons added by RH_Ironsights (as opposed to weapons modified by it) are being conflicted/overwritten by anything in my load order, so the base RH_Ironsight stats for those weapons are being used. Some of these weapons include the Single Shotgun, .556mm SMG and Revolver Rifle, but there are many. I don't know that these weapons are terribly unbalanced, but they did stand out to me for their value (in caps) if nothing else and a cursory inspection of some of their stats in FO3Edit indicates that they do seem to be out of line with FWE stats.

It's possible I'm missing a patch, though. The only Ironsights-related patches I am using are the FO3RA patch and FWE patch from the RH_Ironsights Nexus page and stabbycat's FWE/WMK/RH_Ironsights patches. I'm not using EVE, MMM or 20th Century Weapons so I haven't installed their corresponding patches.

Edited by Tukka

I'm not that familiar with Core Robots. You could potentially disable the Ragdoll mesh file(s) that conflict with it if you know which meshes it uses.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to learn how to utilize the tools at hand, dive in, and figure it out. Always a learning experience, this modding thing. :P Edited by 13thGeneral

Kelmych, what's your stance on sorting masters in FO3Edit? From what I've seen, it helps with getting a good load order and sorting conflicts and missing master problems, especially in conjunction with WryeFlash. Speaking of which, should the guide also include mentioning how to use the colors in WryeFlash to sort mods and resolve issues prior to making a bashed patch?

I'm asking as there's no mention or suggestions about it in the guide.

Edited by 13thGeneral

So 3 recommendations for textures:

• Aogora's Neglected Clutter https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/59756/? looks great. The MG overwrites are closer to original scheme which I view as a plus (wires look like electrical wiring again instead of ethernet cables).  He's also covering bottlecap  and powder charge mines, with the dart gun coming soon with real retextures and not just upscale + noise. 
  • Hi-Res Lunchbox https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/3682/? I know we just covered this a couple pages back, but since Aogora uses it as the base texture for the new mines, this makes the Lunchbox->mine graphics a bit more consistent than with MG's.
  • Aogora's Holodisk Retex https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/57087/? The added color + glowmaps help them stand out a bit more in darkened interiors. Small deviation, but I find it worth it.  I'm still debating the reduction in mesh size.

So, somewhat embarrassingly, I tracked the problem to a mod of my own making, which as it turns out was adding the "Don't Use 1st Person IS Animations" flag to certain weapons. Adding the NoMerge bash tag to that mod fixed the issue without compromising its intended function. Thanks for the support. For me, none of the weapons added by RH_Ironsights (as opposed to weapons modified by it) are being conflicted/overwritten by anything in my load order, so the base RH_Ironsight stats for those weapons are being used. Some of these weapons include the Single Shotgun, .556mm SMG and Revolver Rifle, but there are many. I don't know that these weapons are terribly unbalanced, but they did stand out to me for their value (in caps) if nothing else and a cursory inspection of some of their stats in FO3Edit indicates that they do seem to be out of line with FWE stats. It's possible I'm missing a patch, though. The only Ironsights-related patches I am using are the FO3RA patch and FWE patch from the RH_Ironsights Nexus page and stabbycat's FWE/WMK/RH_Ironsights patches. I'm not using EVE, MMM or 20th Century Weapons so I haven't installed their corresponding patches.

I think the Blackened patches may provide some stats adjustment for these, but it's only useful if you are using EVE or MMM. OTherwise there aren't any patch mods that adjust these for FWE. A manual patch is likely needed at least until the Weapons Mod Patch mod is available which will likely be a while.

Kelmych, what's your stance on sorting masters in FO3Edit? From what I've seen, it helps with getting a good load order and sorting conflicts and missing master problems, especially in conjunction with WryeFlash. Speaking of which, should the guide also include mentioning how to use the colors in WryeFlash to sort mods and resolve issues prior to making a bashed patch?

I'm asking as there's no mention or suggestions about it in the guide.

Ideally this would be covered in the overall Wrye Bash guide, but I can add this to the FO3 guide. It's a good idea to sort the masters based on load order, once a good load order has been determined. I think both Wrye Flash and FO3Edit can help with this.

3) Thanks for more information regarding the Vanilla Weapons mods, Kelmych. I don't think I was very clear with my question - I did not think these were weapons added by EVE, but I was aware that EVE modified them. I was just confused about the order of installation (why the EVE compatible version of weapon "xyz" should get overwritten by the non-EVE-compatible version of weapon "xyz", when they are written by the same author). I'm still a little shaky on the subject, but I think I may now understand why this order is needed (we are looking to only keep the EVE files from that mod; the rest of the textures are better in the WEP). Anyway, more to the point, you have made the required order for these quite clear.

My question now would be - if these are textures to overwrite the ones found in EVE, should I install EVE before these mods? EVE is below these mods in the guide, so I assume I should install in the order listed (i.e. install previous mods in list, install said texture mods, follow the list down and install a few more mods, then install EVE).

However, won't EVE just overwrite the new textures from the said individual weapons (and defeat the purpose)? Or am I making the same mistake as I initially did with the individual energy weapons and the WEP?

*shakes head* I haven't been this confused since my introductory calculus class! LOL

It's common to have a mod include resources that should be replaced by ones from another mod, but the first mod might also include ones that need to overwrite other textures. In this case EVE is installed later than some other weapons because of other resources it replaces. EVE should be loaded before these vanilla retextures, so the EVE textures don't overwrite. It looks like the guide wasn't updated properly for this; it should be fixed now.

Great, I'm glad that I was actually able to report something useful!

Thinking of this issue with EVE overwriting textures which the list wanted to keep, I am now wondering about Marts Mutant Mod and Associated Mods. I notice that this section is way down the list (almost at the end), however there are a bunch of mods (before it in the list) that require MMM to be installed first, if you choose to use MMM.

From your list:

- DCInteriors Project (core)

- Breeze's FO3 Males (alternate core)

- Glowing Ghouls - FO3

These are the just the ones that state MMM as a prerequisite in the instructions in your list. However, beyond this, I also believe there may be other mods for which MMM would overwrite the textures, if installed in the order suggested by the list. However, I'm not sure if this is ordering is intentional or not (whether you intend on keeping the MMM textures instead of textures in other mods). Mods for example:

- Fallout 3 Hirezd

- A bunch of the mods in the Creatures category

Is this the same situation as with the weapon texture mods and EVE, as quoted above?. Would moving the MMM section around in the list be beneficial at all? From my limited understanding, it seems necessary for at least the three mods with specific MMM instructions.

Anyway, I do appreciate any time you take to look at ease-of-use things like this. It really helps newbs like me to be able to just follow the list from the top to the bottom, and not worry about having accidently overwriting intended textures, etc. Any and all instructions to idiot-proof the process is also a major help! (LOL)

I also wanted to report that the Updated Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch has been updated. It is now version 1.91. A whole ton of fixes...based on the size of the patch notes, this seems like a very large update in comparison to previous versions.

The new UUF3P also includes the below, which are now redundant in the list:

- Alien Captive Recorded Log 12 Fix

- Paladin Hoss - Initiate Pek Fix

A new version of the UUF3P-FWE Patch was also released (v1.9), but I am not sure what was fixed in that.

One thing that you may also want to look at regarding the new version of UUF3P is the now included Zeta Turret and Drone Fix. The author included both a vanilla and MMM version in the original file. I assume that the UUF3P would include the vanilla version, so if MMM is used a file may be wanted to fix this. I really don't know enough about modding to know if this is an issue, or if a merged or bashed patch would automatically fix the discrepency. Just thought I should report it to the experts, LOL. ;)

Lastly, if you do happen to dig up any information on why it's a bad idea to have Fallout3, Fallout Launcher, Mod Organizer, etc. with "Run as Administrator" checked in properties, that would be fantastic. Again for newbs like me, that type of knowledge is invaluable. 

Kelmych, why can setting Fallout3.exe to have administrative privileges cause other problems? And what are the potential problems, exactly? I am glad you folks are mentioning this, as (without doing any research,) I assumed setting something to run as administrator could only help matters. Knowing how buggy Fallout 3 is, I just set it, the launcher, and any other .exe files I run with it (FO3Edit, mod manager, etc.) to run as admin. Obviously, after reading what you folks have posted, this is probably causing me more troubles.

I thought I learned my lesson many years ago about "assume", but it looks like it is still making an ass out of me!

I'll try to find the posts about this. Tannin mentioned some specific problems that result from giving Mod Organizer administrative privileges (vs. just running it as an administrator), and in the same thread there was a discussion about not running the game exe with admin privileges (vs running the game as an administrator which is fine).

Whether you find the original reference material or not, might I suggest that you add this information to the main list? (i.e. Insert a paragraph in the setup portion of the list asking people to make sure they run everything normally, without administrative rights.) This would help other newbs avoid what I did, in setting these rights without knowing any better. 

Anyway, thanks again for an amazing guide! Definitely the best I have seen on the internet for modding Fallout 3.

Cheers,

Nebulous

Edited by Nebulous112
  • +1 1

For the moment, or at least without some additional tweaking that I'm unaware of, the suggestion of using TES5EDIT as 'FO3LODGen' doesn't work - lots of stack traces when attempting this (it was also necessary to rename TES5EDIT.exe as FO3LODGen.exe per the docs, instead of calling it with -fo3 -edit via MO). I did not do anything to attempt debugging this so the solution might be blindingly obvious, I simply grabbed the standalone FO3LODGen and carried on.

For the moment, or at least without some additional tweaking that I'm unaware of, the suggestion of using TES5EDIT as 'FO3LODGen' doesn't work - lots of stack traces when attempting this (it was also necessary to rename TES5EDIT.exe as FO3LODGen.exe per the docs, instead of calling it with -fo3 -edit via MO). I did not do anything to attempt debugging this so the solution might be blindingly obvious, I simply grabbed the standalone FO3LODGen and carried on.

I did notice that command was different than what I just found from Zilav.  You can use FO3EDIT as FO3LODGen with [-lodgen -o:"C:\FO3LODGenOutput].  Should FO3LODGen using TES5Edit be run with the command [-FO3 -lodgen -o:"C:\FO3LODGenOutput]?