General Feedback

My setup is similar to GDSfan's. The "C" drive is on an SSD which has Windows and drivers, and user data. Games, including Steam and the various game utilities, are on "D" on an HDD. Skyrim and Fallout NV are on a separate SSD. Fallout 3 is currently on an HDD until I get a bigger SSD for the games. No games, or game utilities like Steam, are ever put in a UAC directory, and no applications are in a UAC directory unless it's the only place they can be installed. Wrye Bash/Wrye Flash are installed in the game folder. Other game utilities are not. 

For many users FO3 won't hook properly with Steam when FO3 is run under MO. I can use Steam to download the game, and I can have Steam running while using the game, but there is no coupling of Steam to the game itself when it starts under MO. I including some pointers to discussions of  this in the Troubleshooting section of the guide. I have no idea why this happens. That doesn't seem to be what happens with your FO3 since you seem to need Steam properly hooked with FO3 while running.

I made a small edit for HD Smokey Fire description, the assets are from the STEP Skyrim mod.

I had a similar idea and released a Mist retexture from Ramccoid Skyrim mod https://forum.step-project.com/topic/7918-hd-mist-by-ramccoid/. I'm looking at upgrading the water noise maps, some of the light FX, and a couple other mods by Ramccoid. I can release on FO3 nexus too if you'd like.  I anyone has any good skyrim FX mods in mind, let me know and I'll see how much work is needed to convert them over.

Thank you very much for this guide! As soon as I have time, in a few weeks, I will follow it to make the perfect Fallout 3 modded install.

Does anybody have an estimate on how much time it takes to make the complete install according to the guide?

My estimate is 10-12 hours if you have the infrastructure of utilities and Steam done. The texture replacers don't cause problems in the save game if you don't include them,so there are a number of mods that can be installed later if you want. Setting the Ini parameters for Fallout and Enboost always seems to take time.

I made a small edit for HD Smokey Fire description, the assets are from the STEP Skyrim mod.

I had a similar idea and released a Mist retexture from Ramccoid Skyrim mod https://forum.step-project.com/topic/7918-hd-mist-by-ramccoid/. I'm looking at upgrading the water noise maps, some of the light FX, and a couple other mods by Ramccoid. I can release on FO3 nexus too if you'd like.  I anyone has any good skyrim FX mods in mind, let me know and I'll see how much work is needed to convert them over.

Thanks. I'll add the Mist retexture mod from FO3 Nexus. Hosting on Nexus is probably the easiest solution, although we can link to other sites if you prefer. 

Yea thinking about it it more I figured nexus would be easiest, so I'll just release versions on both FNV/FO3 nexuses for each guide if they wish to use it.  I'm working on smoke wisps, drops, and hd water atm.  I've made fairly decent progress with understanding the water engine in FO3/FNV so hopefully I can finish that up soonish.

EDIT: A preiview of the water Vanilla -> Modded

8hlv3ir.pngzH6WUml.jpg

Edited by Adonis_VII
  • +1 1

What kind of textures do they use in these games for the water? I never got a look at a them, but I heard someone call them "Multi-colored worm food". :lol: I am guessing it uses a tiled flow map with a tiled normal map? The water effects in Fallout are so much better than the god awful Skyrim ones. It is probably the most baffling thing I have ever seen in games development. They just ripped all the good stuff out.

You're not wrong about some of it looking like worm food, all that Perlin noise for the displacement: ApyZViN.png

It only as a single noise map as controllable input, as opposed to three options for skyrim water.  They also have an 8bit alpha channel, though they all seem to just be set to 255 over the entire map.  There does seem to be a second texture over it that is really low res that flickers the sunlight and becomes more apparently the higher the slope of the displacement.  I'm still not sure what it is as I haven't found its source in the texture files or any option in the .esm/.esp.  My testing has mostly been using WATER and RWT textures and changing parameters to understand the different from fallout and skyrim.

Could the texture you can't find be a cube map? So they basically use different noise profiles to randomise the normal map? If I am thinking striaght that is. That seems a much better way to eliminate repitition if so. You new water you created looks really nice by the way. Perhaps a bit too tranquil for the Wasteland, but I am sure people will enjoy it very much.  ::):

I've added instructions to install and run FO3LODGen to the guide.  As far as I'm aware, there are no issues with textures in the guide. Remember however, not everything will have LOD. There are still 100s if not 1000s of meshes that have no LOD, Arefu for instance will have no building LOD generated.