General Feedback

Okay, so I have a question about BSA extraction.  Is it still necessary with Mod Organizer 1.3.6?  The guide is still using 1.2.8, but says that the issue would hopefully be resolved in 1.3.  So should I still extract BSAs or leave them alone?

You should be fine with any of the 1.3.x series. Although both my Fallouts are still using extracted BSAs, they were setup when it was still a problem, my Oblivion MO, which suffered from the same issue, has over a dozen BSAs loaded and I see no issue.

If you don't use FWE you lose all the gameplay parameter management that it provides, even if you don't use other parts of FWE. I don't know of any other FO3 mod that provides this.

Simple Realism is a good option/alternative for those of us that do not use FWE due to how it complicates the load order and installation because of all the compatibility patches. Think of it as a lite back to basics version of FWE. It is also very modular.

Simple Realism is a good option/alternative for those of us that do not use FWE due to how it complicates the load order and installation because of all the compatibility patches. Think of it as a lite back to basics version of FWE. It is also very modular.

It is an alternative to parts of FWE that some may prefer. One part of FWE I especially like is that it includes multiple options for all the settings since I don't feel one-size-fits-all work well for many of these across all users. This seems to me like yet another realism mod that doesn't provide options; fine for those who want the game to behave exactly like the mod author uses. For example, one parameter that has a significant effect on the playability with high level characters is the skill points per level. This mod sets it at 6 points per level which is IMO too low except for users who want an especially challenging game. There are, by the way, a lot more comments from users in this forum asking about making the game a little easier that what is provided using the default parameters suggested in the guide (which provide a fairly challenging game). 

If I could find an alternative mod that allows configuring the game settings while in the game (from the pipboy or some other way) I would add it as an alternative option in the guide. So far the ones I've seen use single predetermined values for these settings and don't provide a menu with options in the game. FWE was very popular, and the code for adding menus is hard to write and debug, so it's possible that there aren't any equivalent mods for managing game settings.

I changed the guide to include the base mod for now; that's what I initially tested. The instructions for an optional patch will be added later. The provided patches for this mod use some old compatibility patches as masters which aren't compatible with the current EVE or MMM compatibility patches. I'll resolve this within a few days.

That works. Initially I was planning on using Impact and then I decided to cut it rather than mess with comp patches. Its a nice effect, but not worth the effort to create my own. It does say on the page that patches made for blackened may get made 'eventually', but for some reason I don't see that happening anytime soon. Worst case I figure I can just add it in later if this gets fixed. I also have a list of mods that either work as nice alternatives and some textures that covers things that the guide doesn't, do you want it? Here, or in a pm?

Edited by Livnthedream

Just a heads-up as it took me a while to figure this one out:

Ragdoll overhaul is causing the torso part of humanoids to not be targetable in VATS. Also no blood decals show up where they should on the torso. The non-collision version of Ragdoll overhaul seems to be fine.

Also I'm going through some armor meshes at the moment to have them show blood decals where apporpriate according to this post: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/725582-adding-wounds-for-dimonized-females-and-breezes-males/

Making a custom patch in FO3Edit for Impact wasn't much of a hassle as far as I remember. Just a few conflicts with EBT, EVE and some weapons. The RH_FWE_Bridgde.esp is from the original RH_Ironsights mod. I added it to my load order for the time being and it doesn't seem to be that much out of line with the rest of the FWE stats for weapons as far as I can see in FO3Edit. But it would be more efficient to remove that dependency from the Impact compatibility patch, yes.

Another thing:

I think the RH Ironsights - FO3RA Bridge needs to be put after Re-Animated. I'm not sure. It shows overriding files in MO though.

Impact adds 4 new ImpactDataSet objects, and changes the Shell Casing Model (MOD2) and ImpactDataSet record (INAM) on a large set of weapons. The MOD2 record change can often be handled by Wrye Flash with the Graphics bash tag,  but changes to the INAM record need to be done manually for every weapon that includes these changes. Any weapon that uses one of the 4 new ImpactDataSet object values introduced by Impact (vs. one of the 3 vanilla ImpactDataSet values) needs a manually created patch so the correct INAM record is included. This patch must be the last plugin that affects weapons, so it needs to include all of the various other changes to weapons including Stat changes, support for WMK and/or RH_Ironsights (if these are used), and a few other changes (sound, etc.).

Impact adds a lot of changes that work well even when using just the basic version of the Impact plugin, but to get the full capability (including the INAM record changes) over the weapons in the guide I expect takes a lot of patching, as the mod author indicates on the Nexus page.

Weapon patches in FO3 are a huge hassle since there is so much they need to include; eventually there needs to be a small set of CPD patches.  Some decisions would need to be made about questions like using Millenia textures (for the vanilla weapons it replaces) vs. having WMK and/or RH_Ironsights for these weapons, and whether EVE should be optional or considered as one of the standard weapons in the guide. It's likely to be too much work to create multiple sets of patches to accommodate all the possible choices.

I'll fix the Ragdoll Overhaul instructions; thanks for resolving this issue.