General Feedback

Hi all,

I have some questions and one suggestion to make.

- I noticed that there is a beta version of FOSE (v1.3 b2). I opened and checked the changelog and there are some features and bug fixes (not many, but still). Is there any specific reason that this version is not being used? (because for those kind of mods beta=stable usually)

I thought I'd fixed this already; it's fixed now. Thanks

- Is "Smaller Crosshair" mod removed from the guide?

No. It must have been accidentally removed. I'll put it back.

And one more general question:

Sorry if this has already been answered but I'll ask anyway ::): . Are we (the plain member users) permitted to edit a guide and if yes to what extent? If there is a specific topic about this please direct me to it, because I am a little bored to search, blame the heat ::P: .

Users can edit any guide on the site except the main STEP guide for Skyrim. If there are errors or if you want to improve an instruction or description go ahead and edit it. If you want to add a mod I'd like to know first and approve it so I can keep consistency in the guide. You can always add potential additional mods in this topic or in Mods section of the forums; adding them in Mods is the best way to recommend individual mods. I keep a list of all the mods that have been suggested, and when I have time I try them. Mods without plugins are much quicker to test and usually get added sooner.

Suggestion: For any kind of mod with complicated installation instructions, it would be nice if there was a thumbnail/screenshot which shows the post-installation status of MO Information window/tabs, so that one can easily/quickly verify the correctness of his/her installation. One such mod for example is "Dynamic Weather" with its many esps and various move/delete file/folder instructions.. I think it would improve the ease of installation, because sometimes it's fairly easy to mess something up by accident even if you are an experienced user, let alone an inexperienced one.

Go ahead. You might want to try one and see how it seems, but that's up to you.

Thanks

So I checked my MO install, and I don't have original singe files of Chris' to check, and I'm on wireless internet so I have no bandwidth to redownload until I get proper landline connection setup.  The Assault rifle seemed to just have an extra texture of the chinese assault rifle (assault = g23assault, chinese = assault).  I think it should be okay to remove the single retexture files, but I can't confirm 100% till everything gets set up in my new place.

The Laser Rifle EVE version, Laser Pistol EVE version, Plasma Rifle EVE version, and Gauss Rifle EVE version mods include glow maps (*_g.dds) and metallic reflection modifiers (*_m.dds) that overwrite textures from EVE. The WEP mod does not include any of these replacements for EVE textures. I've left these 4 mods in the Fallout 3 guide for these EVE replacer textures.

The Laser Rifle EVE version, Laser Pistol EVE version, Plasma Rifle EVE version, and Gauss Rifle EVE version mods include glow maps (*_g.dds) and metallic reflection modifiers (*_m.dds) that overwrite textures from EVE. The WEP mod does not include any of these replacements for EVE textures. I've left these 4 mods in the Fallout 3 guide for these EVE replacer textures.

Quick look at the textures and I'd definitely agree. the *_m.dds files are definitely quite different.  I'll have to look in game and see why he left them out and maybe ask him.

any reason why we need to install the furniture file from better clutter and furniture according to mo the nmc texture pack overrides all but 1 texture from the file which is schooldesk01.dds but nmc also installs a texture that is smiliary named called schooldesk01_n.dds

edit also i noticed you have no mention of the patch for nmc texture pack which fixes a minor black square on the train texture should we install this also?

Edited by slayer80

And one more general question:

Sorry if this has already been answered but I'll ask anyway ::): . Are we (the plain member users) permitted to edit a guide and if yes to what extent? If there is a specific topic about this please direct me to it, because I am a little bored to search, blame the heat ::P: .

Users can edit any guide on the site except the main STEP guide for Skyrim. If there are errors or if you want to improve an instruction or description go ahead and edit it. If you want to add a mod I'd like to know first and approve it so I can keep consistency in the guide. You can always add potential additional mods in this topic or in Mods section of the forums; adding them in Mods is the best way to recommend individual mods. I keep a list of all the mods that have been suggested, and when I have time I try them. Mods without plugins are much quicker to test and usually get added sooner.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I was mostly refering to the type of edits like the ones you said such as: improve an instruction or description, version/error corrections etc. Unfortunately I don't have enough spare time to test/suggest mods.. but fortunately many others have ::): .

@Kelmych

Could you also give me an answer to the question in the last post of the previous page (36) about the blackened esp in the "Import Actors: Death Items" section o bashed patch?

edit also i noticed you have no mention of the patch for nmc texture pack which fixes a minor black square on the train texture should we install this also?
I guess they forgot to mention it, I personally have it installed but I think that it's only needed for the large pack.
Edited by nameerf

For reference, the Mothership Zeta Crew mod seems to work fine in conjunction with this modding guide. The only things it adds that I could possibly may conflict with other mods are little bases in various locations. These are typically in locations that shouldn't conflict with anything. It does make use of the radio tower in Rivet City, which could possibly provide conflict with mods that alter rivet city extensively. This is an amazing mod and deserves a spot in a guide of this caliber. The amount of effort and professional-like work put into it is impressive. I'll update if I come across anything else to add. There is also an addon and utility mod set that can be used if desired but I believe the Armory one to completely unbalance the game due to unlimited access to weapons and money.

Not sure if this counts as general feedback or not but I'm freakishly impressed at the amount of work you and EssArrBee have put into these guides, starting on yours now and will come back with updates if/as I find issues. Thanks again for all the hard work.

Thanks for this great modding guide. I finally got around to start playing Fallout 3 and don't know what I'd do without it. (spending many days on Nexus I guess...)

For now I left out most mods that add new content like quests, weapons and armor. Apart from that I use pretty much everything except for Millenia's replacers and the gore mods.

I haven't played much yet. But while exploring the area around Megaton at night I noticed that the flashlight mod causes massive frame rate drops. Turning flashlight on causes my FPS to drop from a capped 60 to 35 to 40. Seems way too much for a little bit of light. Is that normal? It doesn't have an performance impact in interiors though, only exteriors. EDIT: looks like that depends on the size of the interior and if there are NPCs around. Inside the Springvale school I get the same fps drops in some areas.  Guess I'll have to drop that mod for now. It's a nice feature, but the performance impact is too much.

Resetting my ini files did not help btw.

Edited by TirigonX
  • +1 1

With that system I don't understand the fps drop. Mine is a little more powerful, but I don't see any fps drop when the flashlight is activated. Make sure the Fallout 3 and ENBoost ini files are proper, and make sure the graphics card features like AA are setup correctly.

Yes, it's really odd, but I don't know how to fix it. Already doublechecked all ini files and driver settings. I also tried all alternative esp files, but didn't see any difference.

Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem though. In the comments of the mod's Nexus page there are several people reporting similar issues.

I'm using SmoothLight now. Better than nothing

Edited by TirigonX

First piece of feedback is that the guide could be a bit more clear on whether or not replacing Type 3 and Roberts with underwear clad versions is actually necessary for compatibility reasons. On the bright side, halfwayish done?