Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

This game hates me... with a passion.

I basically went and started my mods again from scratch, because after trying to fix the issues I was having with Spice of Life and taking your advice to extract most of the BSAs and hide them, I couldn't get the game to load up again. Now I seem to be having issues with two completely different mods working together. NVInteriors and Lucky 38 Suite Reloaded. The strange thing is, I'm sure I've had the two working together fine before, and both mods come recommended in Gopher's FNV Mod Clinic. I can get the game to load just fine with one or the other installed, but not both, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I'm on the verge of going back to square one, removing all mods from MO and starting from the complete beginning, but I don't see how that would work out differently than what I'm doing now.

I've even gone back and removed and installed all the mods up to the point of installing NVInteriors that have anything other than a simple activate mod instruction. I think the last shreds of my sanity are about to untangle.

I truly know that feel. I've lost countless fights with heavily modding bethesda games, leaving them entirely for months at the time, before having the courage to try solving the problem. Mostly everything works completely fine after 5 mins. That's just the Bethesda Experience I guess.

You said earlier that you used a merged patch instead of a bashed patch. Did you try deleting the merged patch and using the bashed patch instead?

Have you, by any chance, modified your merged/bashed patch in any way? Sometimes the merged/bashed patch can prioritize the wrong mod (experienced that a lot), but last time I modified my merged patch for Skyrim I somehow messed up and got a problem a lot like yours (game not even starting up). I only found out months later that I just needed to recreate my merged patch... do'h!

Are you experiencing the same problem, when having having the two mods activated, as you did before? By that I mean the game not even starting up. Or is it when loading your save game that the game crashes?

NVInteriors and Lucky 38 Suite Reloaded (I guess you're using this one right?) shouldn't, to my understanding, change the same records, so I don't see why they would create such issues. How many active mods do you have in your load order?

At the time I would have only had around 65 mods in my load order. This is all prior to making a bashed or merged patch. I did manage to get it to load with both by basically starting from scratch with the guide and my additions. You're right in saying that it doesn't (or shouldn't) change the same records, which is what was confusing the hell out of me. I'm not entirely sure why, but all throughout my modding of this game, things seem to be jumping out and saying... "Hey, I want to be an arse of a mod and not work!" But in most cases, the why of it isn't apparent. For example: I'm now starting up the game after each section, and for some reason, now Willow is causing headaches, causing the game to not load at all. This is REALLY confusing because the only files that come up as conflicts are a few nif files. Nothing that should cause the game to crash. I'm just gonna sit here and shrug and beat my head against the desk until it decides to play nice.

This is all in preparation for a fresh playthrough, so the only save file I have is at Goodsprings, just so I can make sure the game is loading, and was mostly used to just check UI elements.

Edited by daemondai

This is seriously weird. Once again the offending mod causing problems is NVInteriors. Though why having NVInteriors active in my load order with Willow would be causing problems I seriously have no clue. They are COMPLETELY different mods.

Edit: Then extract the BSA from Willow and hide the BSA file, and it works. Whut?! It's not as if my game is overloaded with BSAs. The BSAs that are currently loading outside the main game files are Advanced Recon Gear and Tech, JIP Companions Command & Control, FlashlightNVSE, ILO-Core and NVInteriors Core.

Edited by daemondai

Thanks Redirish, I do understand the overloading on BSA files, but I wouldnt have thought 6 BSA files on top of the base game was overloading. I'll reverse the unpacking of the BSA files and see if I can get rid of some other one. BTW, good to see another TOGger about. :P

Is there any issue generally with unpacking a BSA file from the uHUD section of the mod? Or will doing so mean my game will explode (again...) unless I redo the uHUD section.

Edited by daemondai

Delinquent TOGger, I'm derelict in my Star Citizenry, I need to give those forums some love. Are you in the SC division?

Back on topic, you're right 6 BSA shouldn't be a problem, but an unpacked Willow probably would. The UI section scares me, you should run that by SRB. I found some misc bsa to unpack previously, I can check once I'm off the road and at my PC.

Thanks Redirish, I do understand the overloading on BSA files, but I wouldnt have thought 6 BSA files on top of the base game was overloading. I'll reverse the unpacking of the BSA files and see if I can get rid of some other one. BTW, good to see another TOGger about. :P

Is there any issue generally with unpacking a BSA file from the uHUD section of the mod? Or will doing so mean my game will explode (again...) unless I redo the uHUD section.

Did you remove the ILO - Lucky 38 Suite plugin?

Unpacking willow has a bad effect on some meshes for one reason or another, no one can figure out why.

So, I'm unsure, is your game working or not now? If not, give me a list of your BSAs.

Also, were you the person with the multithreading INI tweaks, and if so, did you remove them?

Anyone want all my YUP patches? I made a ton of them... Most of them merge into Bashed Patch or you can merge them all with the xEdit merge script and then make sure to tag everything for Wrye Bash.

Here's the patches: https://copy.com/HiMZGRa3DugJ

Here's the tags:

YUP awilderwasteland Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Stats, Names, Invent, DelevYUP NVSkies UE Patch.espYUP rotfacetoriches Patch.espYUP PN - ALL DLC Patch.espYUP WMX-DLCMerged Patch.esp - Stats, WeaponMods, GraphicsYUP 1nivVSLArmors Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Names, Stats, YUP Trooper Overhaul-Dragbody Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Graphics, Stats, NamesYUP Roberts_NewVegas Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Hair, Body-MYUP vault22FloraOverhaul Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Actors.ACBSYUP PN Rebalance Patch.espYUP PN Equipment Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Delev, Invent, Deflst, ScriptsYUP Tales from the Burning Sands Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Scripts, Actors.ACBS

If you merge these into one patch you need to still tag it with all the ones listed for every patch, excluding duplicates.

I might just make this type of stuff into a separate page like Neo did for SRLE, but it is so tedious and so much work. If I can just give out a bunch of mergeable patches and reduce everyone else's work load that is preferable to me. It also reduces the chance of general users making errors, but at the expense of them learning something. Let me know what you guys think.

Ok... got all the mods installed and game running fine bashed patch and all. Small problem... females are coming up as missing textures. Not sure how many yet, as I've just started the game, but all the males appear to be fine, Doc Mitchell, male player, Easy Pete, random Goodsprings male settlers. However Sunny Smiles and the barkeep in Goodsprings are coming up as big fat exclamation marks. Not 100% sure why at this stage, but I'm sure I can work it out. I did have some overlapping texture issues between Roberts and NVR3 which I have sorted at the moment, by hiding some of the textures from NVR3. I'll be keen to see what you (SRB) work out when you add in NVR3 to the list. Will play around tomorrow and see what I work out and post any info here.

Ok... got all the mods installed and game running fine bashed patch and all. Small problem... females are coming up as missing textures. Not sure how many yet, as I've just started the game, but all the males appear to be fine, Doc Mitchell, male player, Easy Pete, random Goodsprings male settlers. However Sunny Smiles and the barkeep in Goodsprings are coming up as big fat exclamation marks. Not 100% sure why at this stage, but I'm sure I can work it out. I did have some overlapping texture issues between Roberts and NVR3 which I have sorted at the moment, by hiding some of the textures from NVR3. I'll be keen to see what you (SRB) work out when you add in NVR3 to the list. Will play around tomorrow and see what I work out and post any info here.

If you have enb/enboost turn off transparency fix in enblocal.ini. Spice of life has an issue.

Anyone want all my YUP patches? I made a ton of them... Most of them merge into Bashed Patch or you can merge them all with the xEdit merge script and then make sure to tag everything for Wrye Bash.

Here's the patches: https://copy.com/HiMZGRa3DugJ

Here's the tags:

YUP awilderwasteland Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Stats, Names, Invent, DelevYUP NVSkies UE Patch.espYUP rotfacetoriches Patch.espYUP PN - ALL DLC Patch.espYUP WMX-DLCMerged Patch.esp - Stats, WeaponMods, GraphicsYUP 1nivVSLArmors Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Names, Stats, YUP Trooper Overhaul-Dragbody Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Graphics, Stats, NamesYUP Roberts_NewVegas Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Hair, Body-MYUP vault22FloraOverhaul Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Actors.ACBSYUP PN Rebalance Patch.espYUP PN Equipment Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Delev, Invent, Deflst, ScriptsYUP Tales from the Burning Sands Patch.esp - Bash Tags - Scripts, Actors.ACBS

If you merge these into one patch you need to still tag it with all the ones listed for every patch, excluding duplicates.

I might just make this type of stuff into a separate page like Neo did for SRLE, but it is so tedious and so much work. If I can just give out a bunch of mergeable patches and reduce everyone else's work load that is preferable to me. It also reduces the chance of general users making errors, but at the expense of them learning something. Let me know what you guys think.

This will fit very well into the new Staged Conflict Resolution being introduced in the next update of xEdit. I plan to try creating such patches and looking at how to best use them for Fallout 3 and possibly Skyrim once I get the Fallout 3 guide a little more complete.

If you have enb/enboost turn off transparency fix in enblocal.ini. Spice of life has an issue.

Not running ENB of any kind, mostly because of transparency issues I've noticed in the past. Solved the female texture issues by rerunning LOOT, I thought I'd done that after making the bashed patch, but seems I didn't. Now I have a different issue. I have the occasional missing texture off in the distance, unfortunately, I don't know what is supposed to be there, I'll have to fire up a vanilla game and go wandering to check. Also I'm not running the tutorial killer, and when I run off with Sunny to go kill geckos at the water supply, she won't talk to me. Any clue what mod could be causing that? I wouldn't have thought that any of the mods I'm running would interfere with any of those quests. The only possible one that messes with any quests in that area is Afterschool Special?

Delinquent TOGger, I'm derelict in my Star Citizenry, I need to give those forums some love. Are you in the SC division?

I'm a bit of a delinquent TOGger myself, haven't been active over the last year or so, mostly due to work. I'm in the SC division, but again, not very active... lol

Not running ENB of any kind, mostly because of transparency issues I've noticed in the past. Solved the female texture issues by rerunning LOOT, I thought I'd done that after making the bashed patch, but seems I didn't. Now I have a different issue. I have the occasional missing texture off in the distance, unfortunately, I don't know what is supposed to be there, I'll have to fire up a vanilla game and go wandering to check. Also I'm not running the tutorial killer, and when I run off with Sunny to go kill geckos at the water supply, she won't talk to me. Any clue what mod could be causing that? I wouldn't have thought that any of the mods I'm running would interfere with any of those quests. The only possible one that messes with any quests in that area is Afterschool Special?

I'm a bit of a delinquent TOGger myself, haven't been active over the last year or so, mostly due to work. I'm in the SC division, but again, not very active... lol

Spent any time with Arena Commander yet? I've had my head to far up Skyrim to spend proper time with it, or the Fallout franchise for that matter.

Spent any time with Arena Commander yet? I've had my head to far up Skyrim to spend proper time with it, or the Fallout franchise for that matter.

Not yet, likewise I've been spending a lot of time with the Bethesda games, I finally finished Fallout 3 recently. I kept on starting games but getting side tracked and never finishing them. I was planning to do the same with NV, but mods are making my life difficult. Which brings me back on topic. The missing textures, while at this stage I'm not sure which ones I'm having problems with, are something I should be able to work out, however what my main problem appears to be is the no talkie Sunny Smiles etc. Now, what I've noticed is that the ambient music seems to mess up before it happens, and after the ambient music messes up, so does most other sound. So firing my rifle is silent, but reloading and empty mag sounds play. And of course, Sunny still doesn't talk to me. When I try to open my PipBoy after this happens, I get a CTD.