Book Covers Skyrim - Lost Library

I was wondering if there were Modders Tools that would allow me to wander through the world, think "Hey, it would be great if I put a book under that shelf there... *click*..." and be told which Cell I was in and what the ObjectID I just clicked on was?

• 3 weeks later...

A question for those of you who are sticklers for the Lore and content of earlier TES games...

There are several books which have what I would consider "placeholder" text and no real content, such as the Blue Book of Riddles which I outline below...

Herein are presented all manner of riddles, as collected by the scholars of St Rilms, to the greater glory of the Tribunal, Almsivi!

The posing and puzzling of riddles is a convention of polite aristocratic Western society. Nobles and social aspirants collect books of riddles and study them, hoping thereby to increase the chances of their appearing sly and witty in conversation.

Since the Red and Yellow Books of Riddles have actual riddles in them, should I... A) Locate some appropriate riddles and add them onto the end of the Blue Book... or B) Leave the Blue Book exactly as it is - don't mess with the Lore... or C) create a new book such as the Green Book or Riddles and use that instead?

There are a few other books that I have stepped past that are similar to this. There are Joke collections that have a note saying something along the lines of "This book is filled with jokes. They are without exception awful". There is also Cap'n's Guide to the Fishy Stick which has no content either.

I guess it all boils down to what folks want from the mod. Is it "Moar Books!!!", "The Lore is Sacred. Praise the Lore!" or "Just give us the good ones"?

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Edited by DanielCoffey

I am convinced... the Blue Book of Riddles and the Fishy Stick Guide are back in.

I was lucky that the Fishy Stick Guide actually had a good cover in Book Jackets Morrowind. I did have to upsample and sharpen it but it looks fine when aged properly. I have decided that it is to be rare and, like the skill books, there will only be one hand-placed copy in the game (as an easter egg of sorts). Not even Brand Shei (who has a chance to roll on the All Morrowind books list) will be able to get his hands on other copies of it.

"The Lore is sacred" except where it is absent, in which case I should think you are free to take artistic license. Should missing lore come to light you can always update it into your collection if you have the notion. Should you know some clever medieval riddles or awful &/or baudy jokes, why not include them? As a nod to loremongers perhaps using a unique font that looks more freehand than printed could be a visual clue to non-TES content within lore covers (ie. The Blue Book of Riddles).

I have put the Blue Book in exactly as the Imperial Library has got it but there is scope to add other books later.

At the moment I am up to 190 books done with around 30 left. I then have to decide which are the taller, fatter books and then check the values. Once I have picked the skill books I will withdraw them from the merchant and levelled lists since they will be hand-placed.

That will be the point where I will consider an initial release... a version that, apart from the skill books, is merchant or loot only. I will then branch the ESP and start finding places for book caches and the first mini-quests as well as examining the Developer Texts for candidates for hand-placing.

• +1 1

Milestone reached : TEXTURES COMPLETE

Two-hundred and nineteen book textures complete and we have reached the end of the list of regular TES 2/3/4 books with Zealotry, a tome by the minions of our favourite Mad God!

Along the way I was able to take advantage of some of the existing Book Jackets Oblivion covers by Phoenix Amon and Grimbot, including this one (well done guys - your textures were exquisite)...

Posted Image

My next step is to format the contents of the last thirty-odd books, decide on the large/small book balance, check the values and then pick out the skill books.