Book Covers Skyrim - Lost Library

Out of interest, is SkyRe still one of the more popular mods for which I should construct a Compatibility version of the Lost Library? It has been so long since I last played Skyrim (been working on BCS and the Lost Library for a year and a half) that I am a little out of touch.

It isn't quite as simple as just a Compatibility Patch because the vendor script places books in the Merchants and I don't want the skill books turning up there. One solution would be to pre-remove the SkyRe Wayfarer skillbook from the Merchant list and hand-place a single copy. Then all I would have to do is switch on or off the Skill gain depending on which version of the ESP the player was using.

I still like SkyRe. Requiem, while nice doesn't seem to be my cuppa it also looks like a bit more of a pain to deal with. Of course, I'd heard the maker of SkyRe (T3nd0) was working on a new overhaul, but since I can't find anything on it... I'll just use SkyRe until it happens if it happens that is.

The way things are at the moment, the Lost Library will require Dawnguard and Dragonborn (but not Hearthfire). The reason for this is that there are vendors in Castle Dawnguard, Castle Volkihar and Solstheim that are eligible to draw form the new Merchant Lists.

Initially the mod will not actually require Book Covers Skyrim but that will change quickly as I start adding the mini-quests and treasure hunts that will pick up the existing Book Covers Skyrim Note and Journal textures.

There will be both Desaturated and Original textures, just as you would expect and I will split the mod into two parts... the BSA archive with the textures, meshes and Merchant script... and the ESP itself. This will allow me to have a more rapid update schedule as the hand-placed books roll out with their mini-quests.

SkyRe will be supported right out the door with (initially) a Compatibility Patch which will switch on the Wayfarer skill book and switch off the redundant Lockpicking book. It would be simple to merge those into the main ESP yourself if ESP slots were tight.

So what is left to do before an initial release, then?

I still want to make a quality check on the Merchant Script although I have already pulled the skill books from it and tweaked the new Merchant List percentages down a bit. I then have to hand-place a single copy of each skill book in the world. After that, I will package it up, review it and write an introduction.

The initial release will just be the new covers appearing at a low chance on Merchants (apart from the skill books). I will then start working on the hunts and caches that I have in mind.

• +1 1

New SkyRe overhaul is called Perkus Maximus and is a way off yet. Requiem is still going strong, 1.8 due out at the end of the month and Aziroks Requiem Patch Central is a great new development. 38 patches currently two more in the works plus updates. He is also working on packs with  combined plugins, so a Requiem patch is a must, puhweese...

::):

I am having difficulty finding Requiem's current Skills list... is there a short list available somewhere?

As far as I can see, the only naming change for Requiem Skills is Light Armor to Evasion, yes? If that is the case, there will be no Compatibility Patch needed between Requiem and the Lost Library. It will work right out of the box.

Edited by DanielCoffey

I have just posted in the Mod Author's Consortium forum asking for an eyeball on a late beta of the Lost Library prior to public release. If one of our modders would have a look at it I would be most grateful.

The current status is that I have hand-placed all the skill books and finished all the script and quality check work. I still have to create the SkyRe patch (all two records of it!) and do some artwork for the Nexus mod page. I hope that, barring something stupid being highlighted, I am approaching public release on the Nexus within a few days.

• +1 2