A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Snowbound Acres has a few textures that conflict with Immersive College of Winterhold, Dawn of Riften, and Raven Rock Expanded (and 1 texture from Apple Garden). Do you have any suggestion on which mod(s) have better textures and should be installed with higher priority? Some other mods in the pack also have texture conflicts. I expect the mods should be installed in the order they occur in the guide, but I wanted to make sure this was the recommendation.

Snowbound Acres has a few textures that conflict with Immersive College of Winterhold, Dawn of Riften, and Raven Rock Expanded (and 1 texture from Apple Garden). Do you have any suggestion on which mod(s) have better textures and should be installed with higher priority? Some other mods in the pack also have texture conflicts. I expect the mods should be installed in the order they occur in the guide, but I wanted to make sure this was the recommendation.

Those textures and meshes are all part of the same modders resource packs, and are basically the same files.I've ran DiffMerge on several folders and did not notice any difference indicating that the textures or meshes have been modified by a modder or another. The only 2 modders (MissJennaBee and Nernie) who changed the meshes actually copied them to different paths before doing so, so there's no issue on that point. (If there really are conflicting textures, I guess I'll have to look for another quick compare tool than DiffMerge...)

Looks good guys. Might I point out that Snowbound Acres has a compatibility patch for Point The Way (a step core mod)? Also, it has a texture pack with the textures from HiRes Roadsigns (a step extended mod), some users might be interested in that (I know for sure it bothers me that ThirteenOranges' mods hasn't got those textures on their signs, haha). I might be able to play some Skyrim this week, so I'll be sure to snap some screens if I come across something odd (that looks like it could be caused by one of REGS' mods).

Good point, especially considering how remote that place is :PEDIT: Accidentally a whole word. Edited by CJ2311

Not sure if important at all (not sure what if affects ingame) but as it is in SR's conflict resolution I'm reporting here: https://puu.sh/7C45i.png

EDIT: another one - https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3rz5mtuqxtvtx1/ss%20%282014-03-20%20at%2001.12.03%29.png (puush stopped working for some reason -.-)

Found some more that, while not conflicting, need patching (?) but they're easy to fix if needed

Immersive College of Winterhold doesn't have some conflicts with BOYD? Those shouldn't be fixed?

Edited by Gandaganza

Nice work here guys. I have a few questions if you will:

1. For the ETaC buildings that don't match lore (for example, you mention Dwemer architecture in Falkreath and Solitude in Dawnstar), do you remove the whole building, redo it or what?

2. Does Mena's Inn mod have any conflicts with SRLE? (Touring Carriages might be the most likely.)

3. Is Raven Rock Expanded safe? Comments indicated it had CTD issues when I last looked.

4. How do you get the SFO grasses not to poke through the walkways and buildings in ETaC?

Edited by statmonster

Hmm, if you really want trees, you could always try using this instead.

It's likely that the game didn't appreciate you adding so many NPCs, clutter and trees inside Whiterun. Especially if you're using high res rextures for all of them.

And the update can be installed at any time during your playthrough, it's just 2 mods to add, nothing to remove.

Excellent suggestion for the trees. Less invasive than PW but enough well placed trees so Whiterun doesn't feel so bare. I love it. The game is running rock solid now. I know I have a lot of NPC but I love the added sense of immersion when the roads are crowded. Starting the playthrough now!

Anyhow, the only way I know of to get rid of that nest is by using the MarkForDelete command in console (after clicking on the nest to see it's ID #).

I finally managed to do this for the nest. I think when I had tried before I was too far from the nest when I was pointing at it. The only ID I was getting was the sky's. I tried again today. I positioned myself straight under the nest looking up and there was no problem at all. Thanks again.

Not sure if important at all (not sure what if affects ingame) but as it is in SR's conflict resolution I'm reporting here: https://puu.sh/7C45i.png

EDIT: another one - https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3rz5mtuqxtvtx1/ss%20%282014-03-20%20at%2001.12.03%29.png (puush stopped working for some reason -.-)

Found some more that, while not conflicting, need patching (?) but they're easy to fix if needed

Immersive College of Winterhold doesn't have some conflicts with BOYD? Those shouldn't be fixed?

ICoW's conflicts with BOYD consists of it not having death scripts on people it has made essential, if I remember correctly. As you probably understand, this doesn't really require patching, as there's no need to have a burial rite for someone who can't die. :)Now, I can't see your second picture (for some reason my ubuntu image viewer doesn't like it), but the first one looks like it should be ignored (at least in TES5EDIT, as neither of those records would be completly accurate ASFAICT). Considering Inns and Taverns adds The Thirsty Mammoth there, I would leave it as is.EDIT: Statmonster:

1: CJ has removed the buildings that doesn't fit into their areas. (it doesn't really have that much to do with lore, more to do with architecture that wouldn't be in that kind of area)

2: I haven't gotten a chance to look at it myself, but I know REGS has previously tried to maintain full compatibility with TC, so I would assume that the newest additions adhere to that philosophy.

3: ASFAIK Raven Rock Expanded is completely safe. Haven't had any problems with it myself.

4: CJ has removed plenty of grass markers in areas where they "conflicted" with ETaC/REGS additions. I myself have been heavily involved in this troubleshooting, and I think we've got rid of most of it.

Hope that helps.

Edited by MonoAccipiter

Thanks MonoAccipiter, what you said is pretty accurate in all cases :DI'd like to expand on 3 points however:

Not sure if important at all (not sure what if affects ingame) but as it is in SR's conflict resolution I'm reporting here: https://puu.sh/7C45i.pngEDIT: another one - https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3rz5mtuqxtvtx1/ss%20(2014-03-20%20at%2001.12.03).png (puush stopped working for some reason -.-)

I had to quote the second link to get the real image url, it would appear you put the real link as text and the broken puush link as actual url.Anyway, in both of these cases, the conflicting record is the EDID (Editor ID). That value is just used by the CK, to give a name to cell in the editor (otherwise a lot of cells are just called wilderness in the CK and it would takes ages to find which cells you're working on), basically, it doesn't matter for the game.

1. For the ETaC buildings that don't match lore (for example, you mention Dwemer architecture in Falkreath and Solitude in Dawnstar), do you remove the whole building, redo it or what?

In Morthal, the conflicting houses were moved around and 2 interiors got changed, but the player home, the bathhouse and a random house were removed.In Falkreath, there was too much lore unfriendliness everywhere, what with the dwemer houses, the modern furniture (with counters + sinks), the solitude houses, the conflicts with BYOD's graveyard/hall of the dead... so the whole city got reverted to vanilla (although you can still install the modular ETaC - Falkreath if you want it back)And in Dawnstar, it was also reverted because it made no sense to have non snowy houses in the most snowy area of Skyrim, and only some modifications to the dock were made/kept.

2. Does Mena's Inn mod have any conflicts with SRLE? (Touring Carriages might be the most likely.)

No reason why it should, in fact, Mena herself tested TC with her mod and reported no issues. Besides, the roads are not modified by Inns & Taverns.

3. Is Raven Rock Expanded safe? Comments indicated it had CTD issues when I last looked.

Yes it is safe, as long as you don't run mods that change navmeshes around raven rock. I'll contact the author and make a fixed version one of these days...

4. How do you get the SFO grasses not to poke through the walkways and buildings in ETaC?

You apply another texture to them in the CK that does not allow grass placement. Which is already done in the replacer, thanks to Mono's reports :P

Hi. Just dropped by to say thank you for including Inns and Taverns in REGS. Was quite a peasant surprise when I got the comment on the mod thread. :)

To confirm what CJ2311 said above: I installed Touring Carriages, after a question about compatibility on the mod thread, and spent about an hour riding the carriages around Skyrim. The various journeys took me past at least three (four if you include the one I am adding with the next update) of my inns. I had no problems at all.

I have an FYI that you might want to add to the info for my mod on your wiki: BOSS reports 1 navmesh error. It has been fixed for quite a while now but I still get a lot of questions about it, and I don't know how to get the BOSS team to update their list to reflect the fact that I have fixed it. Might be useful to add the info until the BOSS list is updated?

Hi. Just dropped by to say thank you for including Inns and Taverns in REGS. Was quite a peasant surprise when I got the comment on the mod thread. :)

I do like me a good peasant surprise ::P:Welcome to the STEP forums, Mena. I hope you'll enjoy your stay :) 

I have an FYI that you might want to add to the info for my mod on your wiki: BOSS reports 1 navmesh error. It has been fixed for quite a while now but I still get a lot of questions about it, and I don't know how to get the BOSS team to update their list to reflect the fact that I have fixed it. Might be useful to add the info until the BOSS list is updated?

Good point, I'll add a note about that.As to why it's happening, it's because the BOSS masterlists had been frozen, but now that BOSS 2.2 has been released, you should be able to contact the team here to let them know if a plugin has been cleaned.

Which reminds me I should probably ask about how to properly submit the REGS plugins to the masterlist...

Edited by CJ2311

I do like me a good peasant surprise ::P:Welcome to the STEP forums, Mena. I hope you'll enjoy your stay :) 

Good point, I'll add a note about that.As to why it's happening, it's because the BOSS masterlists had been frozen, but now that BOSS 2.2 has been released, you should be able to contact the team here to let them know if a plugin has been cleaned.

Which reminds me I should probably ask about how to properly submit the REGS plugins to the masterlist...

And here was me double-checking spelling. Dammit, eyes, work better, won't you? *grin* I meant pleasant, ofc. Though peasant is not totally inappropriate given my tendency to adhere to lore when making my inns.

I did not know BOSS list had been frozen. I just keep getting questions about a problem I fixed in the first few days of February and added to FAQ. Quite amazed at how many people do not read the FAQ on my file and continue to ask about something I have already answered right there in file description.

Well, sadly, people hardly ever read the instructions/FAQ sections. I also have my theory that the more you make something obvious, the less people are likely to actually read it. D:

Maybe if you put it as a fine print at the end of the description, more people will actually read it? ::P:

Welcome Mena, glad to have you around here! Really fantastic mod :) Edited by Nearox

I had to quote the second link to get the real image url, it would appear you put the real link as text and the broken puush link as actual url.Anyway, in both of these cases, the conflicting record is the EDID (Editor ID). That value is just used by the CK, to give a name to cell in the editor (otherwise a lot of cells are just called wilderness in the CK and it would takes ages to find which cells you're working on), basically, it doesn't matter for the game.

Yh, I just fail... :/

Welcome to STEP! :D Seeing more authors here is always awesome :p

Onto the next thingie, a small conflict with BOYD and now Nirya is not essential but protected! Should it be patched?

I suppose it should, since there's a risk of her dying if the player hits her.

The question is: Is it worth it to add that to the STEP patch and effectively make that mod mandatory for STEP users... :/

If she didn't have a cleanup script at all, an official patch would be required, but here... D: