Fallout 4?

My biggest hope for Fallout 4 is a new improved engine that can be used for future titles. They really need to change it out, it's showing the wear and tear.

I laughed, sorry. I would be totally shocked if they didn't just update their renderer with DX11/12 support and made tweaks in other places (new middleware too perhaps?). Maybe they made a new editor though and not one that is basically a re-hashed Morrowind clone?  I am sure this would help create much bigger and better environmental and story-driven content mods.

By the way, I love Fallout. The atmosphere along with the music is just so much more compelling to me. The mods can also be as crazy as they want and actually still make sense over ES. That is a great bonus for creativity.  

Todd Howard said that IDTech 5 doesn't really do what they need for an open world ARPG like Fallout/TES. If they use that engine it would be a heavily modified version. Kinda like GoldScr was to the Quake engine, but even more modification. 

Looks like it might be two years or so before we see next TES. But that's fine, perhaps they will have the time to fix whatever engine Fallout 4 will be running on :P

I'm not really a fan of the new Fallouts either btw, but I played FO1+2 like a maniac back then. Btw, did you know the company that created Wasteland 2 bought the rights for Van Buren? Now THAT would be  f*cking amazing.

Edited by Octopuss

Love the Mass Effect games!

If you love the third one the most, we need to have a private talk about life choices.

But, seriously, Bethesda could learn a thing or two from Bioware when it comes to compelling characters, voice acting (and here), drama and humour.

Of course, it's far more likely they have learned all the wrong lessons.

Edited by thommaal

46910_2_0.jpg

TmvkQI6.jpg

https://fallout4.com/

It's happening!

Edit: Site has been nuked. Get it? I saw it though and the box art for PC, PS4 and XOne.

Sadly though it does look like the Creation Engine with a better renderer. The distant LOD looks a bit bland in the first image.

Edited by Guest

Definitely Skyrim's engine. And LODs... oh Bethesda, 5 years of development and nothing new here. Considering Skyrim uses LOD system from Fallout 3, it even means 8 years of development without changes. Unheard in the modern game dev from AAA company like Bethesda :confused:

I don't see why anyone would think it would be a different engine. It'd be pointless for Bethesda to put time and effort into the Creation Engine only to use it for one game. The engine will have improvements over Skyrim's version (hopefully improving on stuff that would be limited by the last gen), but it'll still be the same underlying engine. Completely changing the engine could turn away a chunk of the PC fanbase as well, seeing as people most likely wouldn't be able to use their existing knowledge of the engine for mods.

I don't see why anyone would think it would be a different engine. It'd be pointless for Bethesda to put time and effort into the Creation Engine only to use it for one game. The engine will have improvements over Skyrim's version (hopefully improving on stuff that would be limited by the last gen), but it'll still be the same underlying engine. Completely changing the engine could turn away a chunk of the PC fanbase as well, seeing as people most likely wouldn't be able to use their existing knowledge of the engine for mods.

I agree. The Creation Engine has probably been brought up to more modern standards such as 64bit, DirectX 11, and all the improvements that come with those things and more. But it's most likely just an updated Creation Engine.