Fallout 4?

seeing as people most likely wouldn't be able to use their existing knowledge of the engine for mods.

Do you mean the Creation Kit? That has nothing to do with the game's engine (which noone but the developers know I guess), it's just a half functional kind of game editor.

Also, if there won't be DirectX 12 support right from the launch, it will be a huge facepalm.

Support of unreleased API on unreleased OS? Indeed a huge facepalm.

Yeah? Unless Fallout 4 has a release date (I don't believe it has any) of anytime before Windows 10 (within two, three months or so), what you say doesn't make any sense.

Do you mean the Creation Kit? That has nothing to do with the game's engine (which noone but the developers know I guess), it's just a half functional kind of game editor.

Also, if there won't be DirectX 12 support right from the launch, it will be a huge facepalm.

No, I do mean the engine. If Bethesda changed the engine to a completely different one, then Gamebryo/Creation engine knowledge of pretty much everything that goes into ESMs/ESPs would be useless, unless Bethesda put in a lot of effort to make the new engine use all of that stuff. Plus it'd be possible that people would have to learn a new model format, which can massively vary between game engines. How to get textures ingame would be something people would need to relearn too.

And it wouldn't make any sense for them to use DirectX 12, seeing as it would cut out a large chunk of people that haven't switched over to Windows 10 for whatever reason. Maybe it could happen with whatever comes after FO4, but nobody knows about that. It's highly unlikely that any games announced this year will support DirectX 12. Maybe next year could see some once the OS/API has had a chance to get bugs worked out, more developers have had the chance to get used to it, and there's a larger consumer base, but until then there will be very few games (if any) that support DirectX 12.

Yeah? Unless Fallout 4 has a release date (I don't believe it has any) of anytime before Windows 10 (within two, three months or so), what you say doesn't make any sense.

It is obvious that the game will be released this year, probably around november to fully benefit from christmass sales (also already leaked information is being confimed and spot on). Considering QA and logistics/marketing take several months, released games are usually finished way before their official release dates. FO4 is already finished and undergoing testing, or almost finished by now. That means 100% no DirectX12 support. Maybe later during 2016 in a form of DLC, who knows. But I doubt even that from a programmers perspective, too much effort for no obvious benefits.

No, I do mean the engine. If Bethesda changed the engine to a completely different one, then Gamebryo/Creation engine knowledge of pretty much everything that goes into ESMs/ESPs would be useless, unless Bethesda put in a lot of effort to make the new engine use all of that stuff. Plus it'd be possible that people would have to learn a new model format, which can massively vary between game engines. How to get textures ingame would be something people would need to relearn too.

And it wouldn't make any sense for them to use DirectX 12, seeing as it would cut out a large chunk of people that haven't switched over to Windows 10 for whatever reason. Maybe it could happen with whatever comes after FO4, but nobody knows about that. It's highly unlikely that any games announced this year will support DirectX 12. Maybe next year could see some once the OS/API has had a chance to get bugs worked out, more developers have had the chance to get used to it, and there's a larger consumer base, but until then there will be very few games (if any) that support DirectX 12.

Yeah, Gamebryo is rendering middleware they got rid of in Skyrim. That is the only reason they could call it their own engine. People expecting a new engine in any game, pretty much, are kidding themselves. That is not how projects work and nearly every developer will choose to build upon rather than restart (due to a long list of reasons). The reason Bethesda gets a bad rap is because of all the things wrong with their base engine in the first place. Their engine is known to be a buggy mess by default.

Changes to things like the model format would save time actually. Other engines allow you to import models and textures straight from a program. Messing around with the stupid NIF format is actually making things harder for people. I would welcome a editor where users can do everything in the editor (like testing). I am sure we would see much more high quality content this way in a shorter timeframe. The Creation Kit is a piece of junk that is 10 years past its sell by date. I cannot argue that anything is better than nothing, but I have never met anyone who enjoys working in Bethesda's CK, including myself.

It is obvious that the game will be released this year, probably around november to fully benefit from christmass sales (also already leaked information is being confimed and spot on). Considering QA and logistics/marketing take several months, released games are usually finished way before their official release dates. FO4 is already finished and undergoing testing, or almost finished by now. That means 100% no DirectX12 support. Maybe later during 2016 in a form of DLC, who knows. But I doubt even that from a programmers perspective, too much effort for no obvious benefits.

This early? I always thought trailers came months to years before release. If the game is already almost finished, I am surprised.

Still, you can't deny the - theoretical only at this point - advantages of Dx12. The performance improvements are simply way too huge to be ignored. Maybe it applies more to games like Battlefield, which probably render a lot more at much faster rate, but still.

This early? I always thought trailers came months to years before release. If the game is already almost finished, I am surprised.

Still, you can't deny the - theoretical only at this point - advantages of Dx12. The performance improvements are simply way too huge to be ignored. Maybe it applies more to games like Battlefield, which probably render a lot more at much faster rate, but still.

Bethesda always announces game around E3 and releases around the holiday season that year. They don't really mess with that formula.

Got to admit from what I have seen that there are new shaders in play. Perhaps the LOD and the general open world parts are still more or less the same, but there are definite improvements to the lighting and shadows. 

They would not have to rebuild the entire engine from the ground up if they have something that sort of works... they could just recompile the various shaders so the are up to specs. 

I can imagine that they most likely would go for higher resolution textures over longer draw distances (sorry neovalen.. model popin ohoy! ) and still try to keep the overall memory usage within the console limits of around 8Gb. 

Also the other problem that is already present with the current engine when you throw too much stuff in.... long load times, and increased instability regardless of what you do.. it would be a nightmare to Quality assure, as well as maintain for PC... since if you run too close to the limits more people are invariably going to have issues running the game. 

My only hopes are really that they fix and improve the overall lighting shaders, as well as getting rid of the nif format... it is just horrible compared to everything in the industry. If they stick with it they better also release proper converters to the various modeling software. 

Finally one can hope they actually release a kit that does not suffer from all the horrible flaws that the CK does have.... I mean unreal engine, cryengine... etc. they all have it right (better if nothing else)... they do not actually have to reinvent the wheel here, just copy what is already industry standard for most projects! 

Did you not see the 'in-editor' highly scripted trailer? The poor dog animations are complete, so the game is pretty much finished already. In the next trailer I hope we see further progression, like people running on ice all the time.

Let's hope they learned a LOT by just observing the modding community around Skyrim.

Cannot wait to see their versions of Thomas The Tank Engine and Macho Man Randy Savage!