aMidianBorn Whiterun (by CaBaL)

EssArrBee

Did you guys test AMB on top of STEP or vanilla? I put it in STEP Core right after detailed rugs so I could get the rugs too.

For testing I used it over STEP. But I'll be putting it before Detailed Rugs, Rustic Windows and Whiterun Trellis for my own game.

I hid some of the walls and a few tiles, but I missed the stairs.

Before Hidden Textures >> After

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

I don't want to retrieve the compares, but they are somewhere in this thread. You guys can just find them and open them all in a separate tab to compare.

Updated your post with compares. I actually liked the slate stone you are hiding. I understand why Cabal changed the color of it. It was because of the texture name calling it "slate". Cabal's is actually far more accurate in color to slate than vanilla is.

EDIT:

Slate02 is the stairs I think. (but again, Cabal is far more accurate in color there)

Yeah, the slate floor is one of the textures I like most from the pack. Really makes a world of difference in the Heartfire manors. I also prefer the funky slate floor from CaBal's, Tech.   ::P:

Cabal seems to try to do some type of parallax but with embossing/extrude and it never comes out right, imo. He did the same thing with the small stones in the cave floors that we eventually convinced him to change because it looked horrible. The floor here isn't bad but I can see some of the same technique applied.

I like Pure AMB and AMB + SRO Floors. The SRO walls just look fugly in comparison. Also another reason from looking at ESRB's post with some of the hidden textures I think CaBaL made some of the choices he did was to fix some of the texture well not exactly seams but they don't look quite right.

For instance.

AMB                         AMB with Hidden Textures

Posted Image Posted Image

I like Pure AMB and AMB + SRO Floors. The SRO walls just look fugly in comparison. Also another reason from looking at ESRB's post with some of the hidden textures I think CaBaL made some of the choices he did was to fix some of the texture well not exactly seams but they don't look quite right.

For instance.

Cabal's looks stretched in the middle to me.

Please vote on which image you like the best:

Pure AMB!

/snip... I think CaBaL made some of the choices he did was to fix some of the texture well not exactly seams but they don't look quite right.

For instance.

AMB                         AMB with Hidden Textures

Posted Image Posted Image

Well spotted. From that comparison alone I see no reason to hide those textures.

Please vote on which image you like the best:

I like the SRO walls for the inside part of that arch thingy on the left side. Then I like either floor, they are both nice approaches to a castle stone floor.

I actually think we should hide the AMB outside retaining walls. Pretty much AMB for everything else is okay for me. Those stairs are a bit smooth for me though. 

I like AMB with SRO floors. The stones in medieval buildings with stone floors tend to be larger than ones Cabal used. Personally I have problems with the stone floors having random sized stone vs. rectangular; to me places important enough to have stone floors would likely have rectangular floor stones but maybe I'm the only one that feels this way.

I agree with SRB about the retaining walls. The irregularities on the AMB wall stones don't look right to me.

Looks like AMB + SRO Floors is winning the race. Personally, I don't like the SRO walls. I never noticed it until now, but why would there be mossy walls in the interior of a well kept castle like Dragonsreach? So AMB wins the walls for me. Plus the SRO wall/AMB wood floors looks off in other areas of the castle. As for the stone floor, Bethesda titled it "slate floor" so SRO doesn't fit the title nor does the mossy look for reasons already stated, but I like it better than those AMB floors which still look funky to me with whatever Cabal did with them.

@SRB

I think we should hide these textures and their normals:

wrcitywall01.dds

wrcitywall01plaster.dds

wrcitywalltrims01.dds

wrslatefloor01.dds (this is the stone floor inside Dragonsreach being discussed)

I think the city wall top caps are a good improvement so we could keep those. Thoughts?

We'd let Detailed Rugs and Whiterun Trellis overwrite this mod. The Gildergreen Tree needs to be discussed as well. SFO or AMB?