v1.0 - Feedback & Bug Reports

DoubleYou

6 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

CAO is quite simply the best tool for the job. BSArchPro is extremely user unfriendly and can cause bugs if you make the slightest misstep.

The CAO instructions tell you to use Separate Textures archive option, and I have a notice to ensure correct settings before usage, so I'm not sure how you missed not using that setting the first time around. 

Thanks. The weird thing is that I definitely saw and enabled that, but it still wasn't generating a separate textures BSA until I tried stuff like ticking the incompressible BSA option and creating a custom profile. Tried replicating with a fresh install of CAO with the base FO4 profile and it does the correct thing, so I have no idea why that was happening.

TLDR: It's probably worth verifying that you actually get a textures BSA after archiving.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, AugustDoctor said:

I am trying to follow the guide and today got to the DLC Timing UFO4P Patch and the mod page doesn't exist. Does this mean it is no longer needed? Please help when there is time, thank you :)

Thanks for reporting. Just skip it for now. I'll incorporate the patch into the Step Patches, as it's a rather minor patch.

Edit: New Step Patch - Conflict Resolution incorporates the fix now.

Edited by DoubleYou

4 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Thanks for reporting. Just skip it for now. I'll incorporate the patch into the Step Patches, as it's a rather minor patch.

Edit: New Step Patch - Conflict Resolution incorporates the fix now.

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the work you out into all this!

Hello. Sorry for interrupting this conversation, but I've once more a question for the guide maintainer. I am planning to move to Linux Mint, along with buying a new PC. Will there ever be a Linux-friendly version of the guide? Because I've seen multiple assorted guides on how to get a modded Fallout 4 on Linux up and running, (vanilla game works fine out-of-the-box) and I am unsure what guide(s) to follow for the easiest and simple method of setup and operation.

If this request is unneeded, or is impossible to fulfill, then I still thank the author for creating this guide, and wish you a good day.

Edited by Anakin1773
Spelling correction.

1 hour ago, Anakin1773 said:

Hello. Sorry for interrupting this conversation, but I've once more a question for the guide maintainer. I am planning to move to Linux Mint, along with buying a new PC. Will there ever be a Linux-friendly version of the guide? Because I've seen multiple assorted guides on how to get a modded Fallout 4 on Linux up and running, (vanilla game works fine out-of-the-box) and I am unsure what guide(s) to follow for the easiest and simple method of setup and operation.

If this request is unneeded, or is impossible to fulfill, then I still thank the author for creating this guide, and wish you a good day.

I don't use Linux, so I don't know what challenges you may face. Typically the difficulty lies in the graphics card drivers. Otherwise, Wine or similar can typically allow Windows applications to run on Linux.

• 3 weeks later...

First, I want to give a big thanks to everyone who's worked on the STEP guides. I used the STEP guide for Skyrim years ago and just recently decided to get back into Fallout 4 (I haven't played any of the DLC yet and just got the GOTY edition cheap on GOG). I was happy to see there's a STEP for Fallout 4 now.

I've run into a few issues with the guide, some of which I was able to work out myself. Like for example, the reverb in interior spaces sounded ridiculous, but then I realized it has its own volume slider in the game's audio settings, and it's much better after I turned that down). Also, apparently there's a bug with MO2 and GOG's GOTY edition of Fallout 4 where F4SE's dlls are not loaded unless you use the -forcesteamloader argument.

Sorry I went off on a tangent there. My main purpose for posting is this: I vaguely remember, from back when it was new, Fallout 4 having some issues with objects on elevated highways (mostly cars, I think) being visible in the distance before the roads they were on, so they just seemed to hang in the air. Now, after going through the STEP guide, this problem seems to be much worse than I remember, with tons of cars, billboards, walls, and so on seemingly hanging in the air all over the place.

So I'm wondering is this a problem because I made a mistake and did not follow the STEP guide properly, or is it something else? Is there a way to fix it?

Also, a more minor thing: for some reason, beds in the game with wooden headboards have a really bizarre texture for their comforters. They look like someone spilled several different colors of paint or something on them. My first thought was a corrupted download, but it seems oddly specific. I mean, to my admittedly-crap-ignorant eye, it looks like something made intentionally, not random junk made by file corruption.

Anywho, any help, especially with the issue of floating stuff in the distance, would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 133620.jpg

Fallout4 10_29_2023 10_47_34 AM.jpg

Not sure why your bed looks that way. Mine doesn't. As for the floating lods, you didn't follow Step 5 correctly. Run LOOT to sort the plugins. Redo FOLIP Synthesis, ensuring HasDistantLOD is not active. Generate xLODGen object lod, then do Synthesis Final. 

EDIT: TL;DR: yes, I failed to follow instructions properly and it borked my LOD, but I fixed it.

Thanks very much for the response, DoubleYou. I reviewed all the steps involving LOD stuff and found I had made a couple of mistakes. Somehow I had FO4LODGen-FullModelLOD.esp enabled, even though I had disabled all the other plugins in that same list of plugins to disable, and somehow I managed to overlook the instructions about adding "load after" rules to the LOOT meta data for FlaconOils and Langleys HD.

I redid FOLIP Synthesis, then all the other Step 5 stuff after that just in case, and a quick test shows yes, now elevated highways are showing up from a distance properly. Yay. Now if I can just figure out this bed thing. I think this texture is from one of the abstract wall art paintings, but can't imagine how it ended up on my beds.

I think I'll just have to disable a few texture mods at a time to narrow down the culprit and go from there.

EDIT 2: The culprit of my bed problem is Fallout 4 HD Overhaul 2k. Was going to re-download it, but Nexusmods.com is down. Still can't imagine how, but I won't worry about it if re-downloading fixes it.

Edited by Liberation

Whelp. Figured out the problem texture for my beds is in the "Fallout4 - Textures2.ba2" file of Fallout 4 HD Overhaul 2k, and still occurs after re-downloading.

I even created a profile with that file as my only active mod, started a new game and it's still there. I'm at a loss. I can't imagine. It's not a huge deal, though, to not use that particular bed in settlements. If I find that it bothers me too much, I'll look for another HD textures mod to overwrite it.

4 hours ago, easyrider1988 said:

Finished the guide the other day and played a bit, the game looks great and the performance is also great. Thanks!

Took a liberty to ESL-ify some plugins (CR patch included) because I'm planning to add/change some mods.

The CR patch contains records that should not be in an esl plugin.