v1.0 - Feedback & Bug Reports

DoubleYou

Hi Im following the guide and i have downloaded all of the Extenders mods. When loaded the game to test it out like it told to do in the guide my character was moving really fast. I have no idea what could be causing this. Ive done everything according to the guide. Also when I type the text is moving really fast. Dont know what to do. 

4 hours ago, magnificent069 said:

Hi Im following the guide and i have downloaded all of the Extenders mods. When loaded the game to test it out like it told to do in the guide my character was moving really fast. I have no idea what could be causing this. Ive done everything according to the guide. Also when I type the text is moving really fast. Dont know what to do. 

In the game console, type the following and report the value:

getini "iFPSClamp:General"

5 hours ago, jeb1414 said:

Hey everyone! I'm trying to adjust

fOverShoulderPosX=0.0

In fallout, in order to do this you had to change the following value to '0', however when I try and do that, it breaks the camera.  Any tips?

bApplyCameraNodeAnimations=1

Are you in the correct topic? This is the topic for Fallout 4 Step guide feedback, and these ini edits have nothing to do with that.

Apologies in advance for any potential impoliteness that may arise from me.

I have some criticism of the guide for Fallout 4. 

In the guide, in the BethINI section, it says that: "recent reverse-engineering research has shown that increasing iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes improves script performance:
In the Section drop-down, select Papyrus.
In the Setting drop-down, select iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes.
Change the value to 500000 and click [Save]."

I was always taught to never change any settings concerning Papyrus, except for fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS. Can you please explain why the above tweak is now safe, if possible?

12 hours ago, Anakin1773 said:

Apologies in advance for any potential impoliteness that may arise from me.

I have some criticism of the guide for Fallout 4. 

In the guide, in the BethINI section, it says that: "recent reverse-engineering research has shown that increasing iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes improves script performance:
In the Section drop-down, select Papyrus.
In the Setting drop-down, select iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes.
Change the value to 500000 and click [Save]."

I was always taught to never change any settings concerning Papyrus, except for fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS. Can you please explain why the above tweak is now safe, if possible?

See related discussion here by Nightfallstorm, author of Papyrus Tweaks NG for Skyrim Special Edition: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/12225203-papyrus-tweaks/page-6#entry117447728

Nightfallstorm is a respected reverse engineer on the subject. Yes, this discussion is for Skyrim Special Edition, but the same rules apply with newer iterations of the Creation Engine. Remember that even Bethesda doubled the value between Skyrim Legendary Edition (76800) and Skyrim Special Edition (153600).

Misinformation about INI settings unfortunately is widespread across the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

When I archive xLODGen object & terrain outputs into ba2+esp packages using Cathedral Assets Optimizer and try to use them, I get corrupt trees and vanilla terrain textures - same effect as not loading them at all.

If I instead install the outputs as loose files, everything works fine.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Update: I think I got it working - apparently the game doesn't like everything being packed into just a "Main" BA2. I enabled the separate BSA options in CAO and go "Main" and "Textures" BA2's, and those seem to be working as expected.

Edited by HunterZ

48 minutes ago, HunterZ said:

When I archive xLODGen object & terrain outputs into ba2+esp packages using Cathedral Assets Optimizer and try to use them, I get corrupt trees and vanilla terrain textures - same effect as not loading them at all.

If I instead install the outputs as loose files, everything works fine.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I don't use CAO at all and would not recommend it for most applications. It's possible the BA2 folder structure you are packaging is using an incorrect root folder in the archive. I also don't play FNV, so I'm not sure of the limitations/expectations with that game, but packaging in 7z seems like a better option. I package all mods as loose files for Bethesda TES games and use MO, and I know Skyrim/MO work fine with 7z archives as well.

If FNV requires BA2, then you might want to try BSArchPro instead.

2 hours ago, z929669 said:

I don't use CAO at all and would not recommend it for most applications. It's possible the BA2 folder structure you are packaging is using an incorrect root folder in the archive. I also don't play FNV, so I'm not sure of the limitations/expectations with that game, but packaging in 7z seems like a better option. I package all mods as loose files for Bethesda TES games and use MO, and I know Skyrim/MO work fine with 7z archives as well.

If FNV requires BA2, then you might want to try BSArchPro instead.

:confusion: Uh, what? This is the thread for the STEP FO4 guide (not FNV), which specifically instructs people to use CAO to archive xLODGen object and terrain data so that it doesn't have to be installed as loose files.

As indicated in my edit, the problem seems to be that the default CAO settings result in all of the data being packed into a "xyz - Main.ba2" archive, but apparently the game will only accept the data if it's instead split between that and an "xyz - Textures.ba2" archive.

Not sure why the STEP guide recommends CAO if it's not the best tool for the job.

1 hour ago, HunterZ said:

:confusion: Uh, what? This is the thread for the STEP FO4 guide (not FNV), which specifically instructs people to use CAO to archive xLODGen object and terrain data so that it doesn't have to be installed as loose files.

As indicated in my edit, the problem seems to be that the default CAO settings result in all of the data being packed into a "xyz - Main.ba2" archive, but apparently the game will only accept the data if it's instead split between that and an "xyz - Textures.ba2" archive.

Not sure why the STEP guide recommends CAO if it's not the best tool for the job.

Lol, sorry, I misread the OP/forum. My input still stands though, but since I also don't play FO games or manage this guide, you may dispense with my advice and await @DoubleYou's input. He knows his stuff, so if he's recommending CAO for this procedure, then that's the way to go.

Sorry guys!

6 hours ago, HunterZ said:

CAO is quite simply the best tool for the job. BSArchPro is extremely user unfriendly and can cause bugs if you make the slightest misstep.

The CAO instructions tell you to use Separate Textures archive option, and I have a notice to ensure correct settings before usage, so I'm not sure how you missed not using that setting the first time around.