ElSopa - HD Keys Redone SE (by ElSopa)

CorneliusC

I think we should pick this one up. We only need to decide on is the key @TechAngel85 mentions. Is it an acceptable deviation or not? I'm personally fine with it, but it would be an exception to the Step mandate.

Alternatively, we could hide this model and either retain HD Keys version (and mod) or drop that and let this one key revert to vanilla.

I noticed that the Redone version doesn't have the textures in a 'clutter' folder.  The textures are placed in the 'textures' folder.  The original mod had them in 'textures\clutter' which I assume is the correct location for these textures, no?  Or doesn't it matter?  I'm no expert.  Maybe it only matters if you want to overwrite textures in the original mod?

Edited by Kattmandu

42 minutes ago, Kattmandu said:

I noticed that the Redone version doesn't have the textures in a 'clutter' folder.  The textures are placed in the 'textures' folder.  The original mod had them in 'textures\clutter' which I assume is the correct location for these textures, no?  Or doesn't it matter?  I'm no expert.  Maybe it only matters if you want to overwrite textures in the original mod?

It's fine, because this version replaces the vanilla meshes and point to the ../textures path. Vanilla meshes point to the ../textures/clutter path.

Also, the keys are on an atlas, so my previous comment about hiding doesn't apply. We would need to accept this mod's keys all or nothing without customization

1 hour ago, tadastalalas said:

It would be the first ever mod to deviate from mandates or there were more examples like this?

p.s. After installing Security Overhaul SKSE mods I see that everything is possible :D

Deviations happen and this one has textures and the one mesh that does so. We can override Mandate with majority vote, but it's rarely done with anything that is going to make a large difference. As is the case here...these are so small and insignificant that I, honestly, don't care one way or the other.

I agree, so here's the comprehensive compares using NifSkope screens:

Vanilla (256k)  >>  ElSopa - HD Keys (512k)  >>  ElSopa - HD Keys Redone (512k)

vanilla_da08ebonykey_20221103_13-17-40.jpgelsopa-hd_da08ebonykey_20221103_13-18-05.jpgelsopa-hd-redone_da08ebonykey_20221103_13-15-17.jpg

vanilla_key01_20221103_13-06-47.jpgelsopa-hd_key01_20221103_13-12-06.jpgelsopa-hd-redone_key01_20221103_13-15-52.jpg

vanilla_key02_20221103_13-07-11.jpgelsopa-hd_key02_20221103_13-13-24.jpgelsopa-hd-redone_key02_20221103_13-16-08.jpg

vanilla_key03_20221103_13-07-38.jpgelsopa-hd_key03_20221103_13-13-38.jpgelsopa-hd-redone_key03_20221103_13-16-19.jpg

This mod is obviously better in all respects (textures and meshes) but for the design deviation in the first set (which is still technically --if not stylistically-- 'better'). I vote to accept.

4 hours ago, z929669 said:

It's fine, because this version replaces the vanilla meshes and point to the ../textures path. Vanilla meshes point to the ../textures/clutter path.

Also, the keys are on an atlas, so my previous comment about hiding doesn't apply. We would need to accept this mod's keys all or nothing without customization

I have no idea what it means to be on an atlas.  And that's why I follow the Step guide.  You all know how to make Skyrim the best it can be whereas if I were to mod Skyrim myself, it would be a mess and crash every 5 minutes.  LOL  Thank you all for your hard work in keeping the Step guide going all these years.

• Thanks 1

If I remember correctly, an atlas is a texture composed of multiple objects (e.g. all four keys in one texture file) and I think the mesh specifies the portion of the texture to use. A lot of the clothes, for example, actually have the have separate textures for the shirt front and shirt back, pants front, accessories, etc. stored in a single texture like the one shown here. Hopefully I got this right.

image.png

EDIT: I think these keys are good addition as well. They do deviate from mandate, but these are so small that it shouldn't be a significant issue.

Indeed. A (texture) atlas is a texture file containing multiple texture elements for different model (mesh) components. The each BiTriShape/NiTriShape node in the model points to the same atlas (file), but the UV map for each can 'map' to a different part of the atlas. This is typical for many textures, like trees:

Texture:

image.png

UV map:

image.png