Paid mods are now available on the workshop

CJ2311

I freely admit that I have idea behind the legal / financial ramifications, but I think the lack of efficient, affordable micro transactions is what makes the ideal of a Nexus wallet appealing to me - Micro transactions wouldn't actually be made very often.

The notion goes something like this:

• I sign up for the Nexus wallet, and use PayPal to contribute whatever I want in, say $5.00 increments. The money then goes into a pool where it sits quietly.
  • Mod authors who opt to participate likewise sign up for a wallet of their own.
  • I download Bill's mod and enjoy it, so I decide to endorse him, and give him a tip. I click the button, and 10 cents is removed from my wallet and placed into his.
  • Aside from filling the wallet, no actual money has changed hands here. It's all just accounting at this point.
  • Bill's mod ends up being quite popular - 200 people have given him tips! He decides to cash out of his wallet.
  • At this time, an actual PayPal transaction occurs. Bill receives his $20.00 payout, minus the associated PayPal fees.
  • Since the PayPal fees are deducted from the payout, that should stop people from withdrawing their funds until they have enough built up in the system to offset the cost comfortably.
  • All the micro part of the transactions occur behind the scenes, and don't involve the actual movement of cash.
  • I see no reason to impose minimal payouts, since the recipients pays the associated fees.

In the background, when I click on the tip button, it's assigned to me, just as when I click on the endorse button, so there's a sort of built in tracking system for verification.  All tips are final.

I'm sure I missing something. Where am I wrong?

Just goes to show what a community can do when the members band together.

More like what hundreds of whiners stupidly repeating "We deserve free mods and you are greeedy ******s omgz!!!11", because they simply read it somewhere, achieved.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the community, or at least what deserves to be called community, did nothing. It was just a case of tossing a bone to the masses. A huge one.

Well, I've finally taken the plunge and made a few long-overdue donations to a small handful of my personal modding heroes. Sadly, it isn't much to any one individual - but it's a modest start.

Yup, same here. Too bad I can't afford to send a little something to all of the authors of mods I like the most.

So it is over now, but people like Chesko and isoku got kicked in the ass once again. Not only did they get insulted and threatened like crazy, they won't see any of the money they made. That's disgusting. I can totally see them coming back to modding now. Awesome.

I don't see any win-win here.

A little late to the party. ::P:

More like what hundreds of whiners stupidly repeating "We deserve free mods and you are greeedy ******s omgz!!!11", because they simply read it somewhere, achieved.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the community, or at least what deserves to be called community, did nothing. It was just a case of tossing a bone to the masses. A huge one.

Actually, I was speaking of the good side of the community. Not the ones promoting hate. If that's all you've seen since this...for lack of a better word...endeavor, then I'm sorry. But there was a lot of the good side of the community speaking up and taking part in what they felt was right from their views. :;):

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I know there were lots of normal people discussing this like human beings and not idiots (like here for example). The trouble is, they were in minority. It's the masses of whiners and loudmouths that "won". I really believe if it wasn't for them, paid mods would remain, possibly with just changes to the Workshop in future.

A little late to the party. ::P:

Actually, I was speaking of the good side of the community. Not the ones promoting hate. If that's all you've seen since this...for lack of a better word...endeavor, then I'm sorry. But there was a lot of the good side of the community speaking up and taking part in what they felt was right from their views. :;):

yeah well this must of happened during the night while i was asleep i woke up and saw gophers video on the subject

What has upset me more is the not the fact you could buy mods but the reaction by a small number of community has been nothing but childish, death threats, rape threats on certain mod authors families, how is this acceptable on any level? If I was a mod author looking to create a paid for mod I would serious think why would I want this hassle, these skyrim players are nuts I don't fault Mod authors like Chesko who have decided to pack it in.

Edited by Darth_mathias

I don't know if this has been said but each paypall donation has a fee of 2.2%+30¢

I recommend fewer and larger donations if you are going to donate. I've been in the ballpark of ~$2

I was looking at my history and couldn't find anything. PayPal's interface is not the best one, too.

Total amount:   -$5.00 USD (equals -131.84 CZK) Fee amount:   $0.00 USD Net amount:   -$5.00 USD

I am farly confused. Where do I find the fees then?

Glad it's sort of 'over'. Still I'm in no hurry to reinstall Steam again, nor am I in any great hurry to install Skyrim again. 

If you were only using Steam for that, sure. All my games come from Steam, so any such protest wouldn't apply to me. In fact, I kind of like Steam. I used to hate the concept several years ago, but I guess the Judeo-Masonic conspiracy won, and now I actually find unified game launcher and library with automatic patching very, very convenient.

Edited by Octopuss

Valve and Bethesda act and continue to argument about money first and foremost. We were fine without it being the primary factor for years.

For most modders, modding is not about money. Modding is a passion. You can not put a price tag on passion, nor should anyone ever try to put a price tag on a passion. We just got a lesson what happens when you do this, again.

The part that most of our time and work goes into is making things actually work. Knowledge, support and tools. As long as Valve and Bethesda are not part of this they will continue to fail. Steam is not a modding platform and it does NOTHING to support successful modding. Bethesda left us with a broken game and one broken modding tool and no useful documentation to speak of and does NOTHING to support modding. At lest Zenimax gives us www.creationkit.com. Neither Valve or Bethesda are part of this community nor do they communicate with us. They clearly showed what their interests are.

Again, the primary goal of modding is not about money. You are bound to fail every time with that misconception.

Any new single player game that is open for chaotic cathedral modding that starts with this premise and even had a working and stable paid modding platform from the start will fail.

It will not attract the passionate people who are required to amass the knowledge and tools to share amongst each other that are required to work on that cathedral modding.

People like me will not be part of a "community" where others exploit my passion for profit.

Edited by sheson
  • +1 6

I was looking at my history and couldn't find anything. PayPal's interface is not the best one, too.

Total amount:   -$5.00 USD (equals -131.84 CZK) Fee amount:   $0.00 USD Net amount:   -$5.00 USD

If you were only using Steam for that, sure. All my games come from Steam, so any such protest wouldn't apply to me. In fact, I kind of like Steam. I used to hate the concept several years ago, but I guess the Judeo-Masonic conspiracy won, and now I actually find unified game launcher and library with automatic patching very, very convenient.

paypall has donation fees. Only the author will see a reduced amount.

Looks like hishutup beat me to it, but yeah, the fees are charged to the person who receives the payment, not the payee.

It's actually I think it's 2.9% + $0.30 by default unless you've changed the settings to non-profit, which is 2.2% + $0.30 (I'm not positive about that, but I don't think non-profit is the default setting).

Actually, most mod authors should be made aware that they can set their paypal accounts to 'micropayment' option, which will reduce the fee to 5% + $0.05.  While the percentage is higher, the reduction in the flat fee makes this the better option if expected transactions are generally less than $10.  Edit: turns out this option is only available if you have a business or premier account, which probably rules it out for most people.

I've been thinking about writing an article about this to post on Nexus, but I'm worried it may be perceived as a request for donations.  However, mod authors would benefit from knowing about this setting, and I think there is a lot of uncertainty from users about how exactly these transactions work (no surprise given that it's been something of a taboo topic to discuss donations).