Paid mods are now available on the workshop

CJ2311

With the setup as it is on Nexus at the moment, it's VERY easy to miss donation buttons. You need to make a conscious effort to hunt them down.

It is easy to miss, but I do wish Nexus would at least acknowledge the donation in some manner so it shows which mods I've clicked the Donate button on (say the same it shows Endorse and Track)... this just so I can better track which mods still need my donation.

I also see some mods that don't have a Donate button available and I keep feel guilty because I use these mods consistently in every play-through.

Sheson's one. No donate button. And if I could I'd give him a sling too.

Greg, I wish I could say I came up with that line but I did lift it off someone's Nexus sig. :) I'll have the beer anyway!

If they'd have tapped the modders on the shoulder and said "Look, we love your mod for TESV Skyrim. We want you to work on TESVI Whatever, as a paid modder, either on staff or via a pay system. Here's what we have for you to go on. And please sign this NDA." And then publicised that to the community, that modders X, Y and Z are actively working on reprising their mods for the new game, but we will have a premium version available at an extra cost... 

I'd almost bet that modders X, Y and Z would be getting praise for working on a game and getting noticed. Not the abuse they got. 

Judging just from my donation inbox, likely not. First day had a very small flurry of donators, second day almost none, since then absolute zero and I don't expect that to change. I can't speak for anyone else ofc but it was interesting to watch.

This is what I suspected but maybe with the new system that'll be implemented on the Nexus, this could change.

I'm surprised that this happened. I was expecting the paid workshop to continue as a very meek feature, but they must have decided that it wasn't worth the cost. If what Gabe said on Reddit is correct, then the initial costs far outweighed the tiny amount of money that they made. Not to mention the damage to PR and prestige.

This is the biggest victory for gamers since the Mass Effect 3 Endings. It had some costs and many people were far out of line, but when you have hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people in protest, that's unfortunately quite likely to happen.

...Now, I'm genuinely wondering what would happen to the mods that were on the curated workshop. Like the planned SkyUI 5.0 update. The new mods Chesko and Isoku made for it. Among others.

Though I don't think there's many people who care for Midas Magic anymore...

@Greg

That's because the mod authors didn't set-up a donation button. Some don't want to accept donations

I apologize for the confusion. I realize this is because the mod author hasn't setup the donate button or doesn't want to accept donations. It's just that I think I owe them at least something more than clicking the Endorse button for all their fine work.

Sheson's one. No donate button. And if I could I'd give him a sling too.

Mangaclub is another without a Donate button that I think should have one. Speaking of which, where's the tip jar on STEP? ::D:

STEP Extended and all the packs are awesome thanks to guys (although I still haven't worked up the courage to try my hand at mixing SR:LE and REGS) and the support here is excellent.

Perhaps all of us here in STEP should be actively thinking of ways to promote support for modders? It's all well and good for us to feel vindicated in our stance, but we don't really amount to a 'hill of beans'.

What about promoting donations to the author/mod on the guides? I think the collective knowledge of all of us is pretty sizeable, certainly it seems to be compared to the childish antics on other fora, is it possible we can formulate a structure that can be presented to Nexus, one that actively encourages support of the right people? The current Nexus donation scheme I think is flawed because it is too easy to ignore, the recent change to the download message is a good start, can that be improved upon?

@Sheson makes a good point about the mod managers having a chance to promote donations. Not sure how that could be implemented but even a popup reminder or an icon similar to MO's 'Endorse' would be good.

Two things are going to happen now as I see it.

1. The 'community' will rally and devise an equitable way to compensate mod authors or...
  2. they will fall back and feel like the victory has happened.

Victory has not been gained, the first battle was won, but business interests are much more pressing than sentimental opinions of 'right and wrong'.

Could someone correct me if I'm wrong on this? The way Nexus has donations structured is to the author, not the mod? ie. the mod author has many mods listed but the donations are tied to their account/user name, not the mod page, or even a specific mod on that page?

If that is the case, it probably needs to be more refined. Do the authors even know which mod is prompting donations from users? That would be a motivating factor in maintaining support for that mod or improving the less-than-supported mods.

Yeah, feels like at least some of those people now have egg of their face lol

Hmm, not sure who you are referring to here. But I have the greatest respect for the mod authors who listed their mods for sale. You only have to read Beths blog today to see the vision they were aspiring to. Under certain circumstances it could work and be better for the entire community. In reality it was a disaster mainly due to the lack of ANY direction and communication with the community. These mod authors - who in some cases are the best we have - have been thrown to the wolves. This to me is the saddest part of this whole sordid affair.

• +1 6

Hmm, not sure who you are referring to here. But I have the greatest respect for the mod authors who listed their mods for sale. You only have to read Beths blog today to see the vision they were aspiring to. Under certain circumstances it could work and be better for the entire community. In reality it was a disaster mainly due to the lack of ANY direction and communication with the community. These mod authors - who in some cases are the best we have - have been thrown to the wolves. This to me is the saddest part of this whole sordid affair.

Well said, Teabag.  They new system was horribly implemented with far too many details that weren't addressed, or even properly considered, but it's hard to feel like it's a "victory" after what we all witnessed over the past few days.  Worst of all I feel terrible for Chesko and Isuko, not only because of the probable loss of two of the most talented modders and their essential mods but also, and much more so, the betrayal and dismay they must be feeling right now.  They obviously loved to mod, were damn good at it, and were viciously attacked, both personally and professionally, by an unimaginably large contingent of users, both on the nexus and off.  I'm happy that the STEP community and a few very vocal members on the Nexus forums rose above it and were much more thoughtful in their words and manners but, unfortunately, it is clear that this group is a small minority of the users out there.  What's even more insulting are the people who are posting that "hey, it's over, no more pay mods so when is that update coming out" or already bitching that they need troubleshooting on their mods.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

What's even more insulting are the people who are posting that "hey, it's over, no more pay mods so when is that update coming out" or already bitching that they need troubleshooting on their mods.

Anyone who's doing that seriously needs a good hard slapping around. What a**clowns. 

EDIT: Someone was bound to do it: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65223/

Edited by Nozzer66

Anyone who's doing that seriously needs a good hard slapping around. What a**clowns. 

EDIT: Someone was bound to do it: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65223/

Sort of shows the level of intelligence of a modder like that if they want to say: "I suport(sic) paid-for mods on Steam". Perhaps they had some time before attending 2nd Grade English class today.

EDIT:

That sounds a little too snarky. Sorry about that.