Paid mods are now available on the workshop

CJ2311

@aaltair

See prev posts with links ...

RE the implementation of the pay-for mod system on SW:

I am merely bringing this up in hopes that this sort of thing will not happen again in the future ...

What is not really getting any mention at all is the ?fact? that certain members of the TES/Fallout modding community were privy to this implementation for the past several weeks (?months?), and the decision was made (presumably Valve's stipulation) that it should be kept under wraps (i.e., 'secret'). Those that allegedly knew about this beforehand seem to only have been mod authors like chesko, Isoku, Arthmoor and whomever else had a paid mod up, but not necessarily Dark0ne or other leadership within the modding community. From what I have heard, Valve appears to have solicited select MAs to opt into the now defunct system and asked them to keep a lid on it.

I for one don't appreciate that the larger community was kept in the dark by Valve and all MAs in the know. Why would they do this if they all believed in a pay-for mod implementation and felt it was the right thing to do? I think this all could have been avoided if select members of the modding community refused to keep secrets and demanded Valve be transparent. This would have allowed for a more thoughtful 'wading' into this new paradigm in a more informed (and successful) manner. I personally support content creators' right to distribute their mods in any way they wish, but I personally felt slighted after learning that some modding community members kept the facts hidden from the rest. (no worries, all is forgiven from my POV ... I feel bad for participating MAs now)

Secrets of this magnitude within the community create social disparity and lead to further division, so I hope that mod authors, mod utility developers, and mod users can remain more open in the future with regard to changes affecting all groups ... and I know that many mod users may deserve such treatment based upon their past behavior, but each one of these groups can claim its share of nasty, vocal members. Mod users just have a louder voice because there are more of them ... but obviously, the majority of each of these groups are good people with either nothing, little, or lots of good things to say. Getting a bit of flack from a minority when things are transparent certainly beats getting a ton of flack from the majority as a result of keeping secrets and springing a huge change unexpectedly upon the entire group.

Hopefully lesson learned and moving forward we can all band together rather than forming cliques with questionable motives ;)

Today's moment of Zen:  People seeking support on the SkyUI Nexus page for what are obviously pirated versions of 5.0.  Bethesda's debacle is a gift that truly keeps on giving.

Yeah I saw that and face-palmed so hard my hand came through the back of my head. Some people have no sense of tact at all, do they?

Yeah I saw that and face-palmed so hard my hand came through the back of my head. Some people have no sense of tact at all, do they?

Props to the SkyUI authors though, they're being really cool about it and offering advice ( which mainly consists of uninstall it and wait for the official version but said in a very nice and professional manner ).  After what they've been through I'd think at the very least a passive-aggressive, sarcastic quip would be understandable.  They're certainly handling it much better than I think I would be able to.

FYIChesko does still ... like ... exist, but he hasn't made up his mind about the future.

I was invested in his Hazewalker project a while back. A couple observations from what I saw then + an email: (1) He is a man of honesty and integrity. (2) He has been hoping to make game development his profession for some time - which made his free modding work kind of a time-sink, though he did it anyway because he enjoys it. (3) A successful pro-modding scenario would have been perfect for him. Now that the experiment has imploded, all bets are off. 

That's my read, anyway.

P.S. Isn't there some way to get more than JUST SEVENTY-THREE signatures on the ****-****-**** petition?! That's downright insulting. 

Edited by mikegray

@aaltair

See prev posts with links ...

RE the implementation of the pay-for mod system on SW:

I am merely bringing this up in hopes that this sort of thing will not happen again in the future ...

What is not really getting any mention at all is the ?fact? that certain members of the TES/Fallout modding community were privy to this implementation for the past several weeks (?months?), and the decision was made (presumably Valve's stipulation) that it should be kept under wraps (i.e., 'secret'). Those that allegedly knew about this beforehand seem to only have been mod authors like chesko, Isoku, Arthmoor and whomever else had a paid mod up, but not necessarily Dark0ne or other leadership within the modding community. From what I have heard, Valve appears to have solicited select MAs to opt into the now defunct system and asked them to keep a lid on it.

I for one don't appreciate that the larger community was kept in the dark by Valve and all MAs in the know. Why would they do this if they all believed in a pay-for mod implementation and felt it was the right thing to do? I think this all could have been avoided if select members of the modding community refused to keep secrets and demanded Valve be transparent. This would have allowed for a more thoughtful 'wading' into this new paradigm in a more informed (and successful) manner. I personally support content creators' right to distribute their mods in any way they wish, but I personally felt slighted after learning that some modding community members kept the facts hidden from the rest. (no worries, all is forgiven from my POV ... I feel bad for participating MAs now)

Secrets of this magnitude within the community create social disparity and lead to further division, so I hope that mod authors, mod utility developers, and mod users can remain more open in the future with regard to changes affecting all groups ... and I know that many mod users may deserve such treatment based upon their past behavior, but each one of these groups can claim its share of nasty, vocal members. Mod users just have a louder voice because there are more of them ... but obviously, the majority of each of these groups are good people with either nothing, little, or lots of good things to say. Getting a bit of flack from a minority when things are transparent certainly beats getting a ton of flack from the majority as a result of keeping secrets and springing a huge change unexpectedly upon the entire group.

Hopefully lesson learned and moving forward we can all band together rather than forming cliques with questionable motives ;)

They simply tried the cheapest route, lure in key figures with $$$ and hope the masses will follow. It costs so much more time and money to survey and talk to a community.

The uproar was so brutal and loud because this was about control. Some may think it was about money, but it wasn't.

One of the core principles of modding is, that it is not controlled by anyone. The moment cooperations control modding, they kill it.

There is nothing broken with modding that can be fixed with control or money.

This post by Gabe just shows you how completely removed these types of people are.

• +1 5