Paid mods are now available on the workshop

CJ2311

snip/

Edit: I think Z's analogy is probably dead on.

I neglected to mention that users of both systems will also be quite different:

• Pre-built PC users [& maybe Mac users :P] (like Steam Workshop users) will be relatively inexperienced and ignorant of a lot, thereby potentially giving SW an 'iffy name (and the guffaws of the modding community)
  • Home-built PC users (larger modding community of yesteryear) are more technical and informed, and somewhat self sufficient.

It is pretty clear that the people at Valve never modded Skyrim and have no clue about what a modder has to do to have a working game,

Somebody should start a story/video modding Skyrim with a 100 mods from the Workshop.

In this contest you are not allowed to rely on any of the knowledge, guides or tools created and collected by the community that is not available on Steam.

Once successful we can start talk again about Valve or Bethesda getting a cut of our work.

Until then please, 25% is worse than 100% donation. For that 25% you have to create quality mods and support steam users. Who are you kidding?

... THIS ... not to mention that a very large proportion of mods available today would not be viable without your memory patch and Boris' work! Arguably, these 'patches' have facilitated Bethesda's ability to even make this stuff happen at all. You should be getting a 1-5% cut of ALL profits as far as I'm concerned ;)

... THIS ... not to mention that a very large proportion of mods available today would not be viable without your memory patch and Boris' work! Arguably, these 'patches' have facilitated Bethesda's ability to even make this stuff happen at all. You should be getting a 1-5% cut of ALL profits as far as I'm concerned ;)

I already asked this somewhere else:

Imagine I would discover the memory patch now and had no ethics (sharing of information for free)

Now further imagine a tool like SSME as paid mod, I could ask any price.

But I have principles, so this stuff has to be free knowledge and shared so it can be incorporated and used by everybody for free.

And you are right, I consider paid Steam Workshop and Bethesda taking a cut out of every mod that basically relies on fundamental tools and knowledge like SKSE, memory patch, unofficial patches a slap into our faces. It is a complete disregard of what modding stands for. Valve and Bethesda willingly exploit our tools and knowledge, including S.T.E.P. to make money.

Edited by sheson
  • +1 4

I don't even think you could SSME since it doesn't exist in the data folder. AFAIK all mods must be a plugin and BSA only. Old school mods that just hacks can't be sold.

Do not worry about current technical limitations in that thought experiment of mine :)

I read somewhere they are talking/trying to get SKSE to work in the workshop. If I had any part in SKSE I simply wouldn't bother.

Just imagine the amount of Steam users unable to create/edit SKSE.ini without hidden .txt extension.

Edited by sheson

Actually if they make an update to incorporate the .dll into the core game they will be able to do that!

They actually can make any .dll based solution part of the game if they so want... the problem is the legal stuff again, hence why they most likely do not want to do that. It would mean royalties after all. :) 

Some of the people whining about compatibility patches really need to wake up and smell the coffee some.

It's clear most of them probably wouldn't know what things like TES5Edit/Wrye Bash etc really do and how powerful they can be. On top of which once you do get the hang of it, it's not that hard to make patches yourself. Of course the argument about 'I don't have the time to do all that, I just want to play' gets tossed around. My counter to that is, 'And the Mod Maker doesn't need time to test and work on the substantive mod?'

Sure if a mod maker does provide patches, good on them and more power.

It is pretty clear that the people at Valve never modded Skyrim and have no clue about what a modder has to do to have a working game,

Somebody should start a story/video modding Skyrim with a 100 mods from the Workshop.

In this contest you are not allowed to rely on any of the knowledge, guides or tools created and collected by the community that is not available on Steam.

Once successful we can start talk again about Valve or Bethesda getting a cut of our work.

Until then please, 25% is worse than 100% donation. For that 25% you have to create quality mods and support steam users. Who are you kidding?

You know, I'd even consider to reinstall $tEAm to have a shot at that. Just for the craic. When you say no tools you mean no SKSE, no Mem Patch, no Patched Patch/Merged Patch etc, yes?

You know, I'd even consider to reinstall $tEAm to have a shot at that. Just for the craic. When you say no tools you mean no SKSE, no Mem Patch, no Patched Patch/Merged Patch etc, yes?

Yes, since Gabe seems to thing Steam is such a great modding platform that it also should be used for getting money to mod authors, the idea would be to only use what is available through Steam.

The second you step of Steam you know about Nexus and then you know know it is better to donate than buying and you would also know to stay the hell away from Steam for modding.

Now remember, since the game, CK and paid mods are things that cost money they should be the superior modding platform too right? Because money = quality service and higher quality mods.

After all 45% of the cut to Bethesda = quality modding tools. You get my sarcastic drift... :)

https://i.imgur.com/P8cIgMy.png

Edited by sheson
  • +1 1

I'll take a peek at the *shudder* workshop over the weekend and pick a few Mods then. Will try and spread them around a few categories etc.

Won't use any of the paid ones, though.

I know a lot of 13Oranges mods would need cleaning, but I wont even do that. Will use them as is, no BSA extraction, nothing. 

Excellent.

Will be interesting to see what happens now. Whether some of the people who jumped to Steam Workshop, like the SkyUi crowd most obviously, come back. I suspect the 5.0 SkyUi wont see Nexus...

Edited by Nozzer66

This is a great victory for the modding community. And content developers didn't totally lose out. The paywall barrier to collaboration is gone, but donations are now more prominent than ever. Will that prominence last? Only time will tell. But they listened to people and I'm glad.