UIO and Mod Organizer

GSDFan

Question

After many iterations I believe I have laid the groundwork for a successful install of the UI mods in Mod Organizer (MO) with UI Organizer (UIO).

When Using MO as your mod manager it was not easy to install UI/HUD mods without the use of third party tools, which added a layer of complexity to the process of installing UI/Hud mods. Mod Organizers mod isolation feature prevented a mod being installed from seeing other mods that are required and some mods refused to even install due to not being handled properly, necessitating the use of FOMM to install UI mods as one big mod. MO has matured to the point where the mods I tried below installed without error and they will see other mods when being installed.

With the advent of UIO, the final obstacle to a working HUD in Fallout New Vegas has been removed. UIO does in MO what Unified hud did in Nexus Mod manager. UIO is a NVSE mod that dynamically creates the required Hud extensions at game launch allowing you to add, remove or change the order of UI hud mods in the priority order of MO.

We are still held to the MO last file wins rule though for a properly working setup. The list below can be used as a starting point for installing the mods you need. It is not an all-inclusive list and you can add mods to it or remove the ones you do not want. The way the list is ordered will give a working setup. If you find an element not working, look for the conflicts in the MO info pane and move your mods accordingly.

The following process will require that the overwrite folder be empty of all files and folders and unless otherwise stated the mods are installed via MO install. FOMM will be noted when needed and will require a FOMM reset, which is outlined below.

Important note, you can install UIO now, but do not enable the mod until you have finished installing your UI mods. This will prevent certain files from being changed or removed if you like to test while installing mods.

[spoiler=FOMM Reset]

If you have used FOMM before you need to do this reset to prevent any accidental removal of files if reactivate or deactivate is pressed.

• Start FOMM from MO and select Fallout New Vegas as the game to manage.
  • In the main window. Click the settings button.
  • In the settings window click on the Fallout New Vegas tab.
    • Look for the Install info line and make note of the path to the Install info folder or you can copy it to the clipboard.
    • If your NMM install points to this you may want to change the location of this folder.
  • Close out of FOMM so it is no longer running form MO.
  • In Windows file explorer either navigate to the install info folder or paste the path in the address bar and press enter to go there.
  • Once in the Install info folder delete any files and folders that are there and close the window.

The reset is done. The next time FOMM is run it will inform you that it needs to upgrade some files. This is OK to do as we are treating this as a onetime install for the selected mod. The reset needs to be done before any FOMM installed mods.

[spoiler=The Mods List]

• DUINV. DarnUI mod needs to be installed so other mods can detect it. For you TTW fans, Darnui ttw 2.4 is working in this setup.
  • FPSWeaponWheel.
  • Shilo Clean Pipboy screen. You will need to select MTUI or DUINV on the Advanced Options section of the install window.Note that at this time I have not been able to run MTUI, I get infinite main menu on a new game.
  • Shiloh DS - Color Survival Map & Icons.
  • Advanced Recon Trap Detection.
  • Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision.
  • Advanced Recon armor stealth gear
  • JIP Selective-Fire
  • JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating
  • JIP Companions Command & Control
  • Project Nevada and Project Nevada extra options. FOMM Install. Do the FOMM reset if not done. Both of these mods need to be installed with FOMM. Project Nevada extra options will not install the Cyberware option if it does not see the core mods and it will not in MO. PN provides its own MCM menu system so it needs to be installed early to let the Mod Configuration Menu mod to override it. When finished make a mod out of the over write folder. Name it appropriately.
  • The Mod Configuration Menu, MCM. This mod needs and will detect NVSE.
  • If installing FOOK install it here. See the note on the FOOK description page about the Project Nevada Equipment Module.
  • The Weapon Mod Menu. This needs to see NVSE and will when it is installed. This works with the MO install and detects NVSE.
  • Move Darnified UI to the highest priority at this time.
  • One Hud. FOMM Reset. FOMM install. Upon activation it will detect DUINV, MTUI or Vanilla. It also saw the Powered power Armor mod and installed the PPA files. Create a mod out of the overwrite folder.
  • Flashlight NVSE. FOMM Reset. FOMM install. This needs to be installed with FOMM to detect NVSE and the MCM mod. It also needs to be installed after oHUD as the flashlight_battery.xml file in oHUD is outdated for the current version FlashlightNVSE. Make a mod out of the overwrite folder and activate.
  • Enable UIO.

With the exception of FlashlightNVSE, OneHUD should be the last UI mod installed. Start the game and enjoy. Don’t forget to press the “I†button to see the HUD elements.

[spoiler=Mods not working and still under investigation]MTUI

I hope that this helps others in setting up your UI in Fallout New Vegas. If you have any other mod success / fail stories please add them to this post.

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So the goal for the FOMM Reset is to stop the includes_*.xml and hud_main_menu.xml files from getting replaced during installation?

Gribbles mentioned that he just installed everything manually by deleting the install script. That lets mod isolation go about it's regular process. Not sure if that is easier because you have to extract the .fomod then delete the install script. It does seem like this plays better with MO, but it still isn't a very elegant solution.

The fomod reset is to prevent the accidental use of the reactivate and deactivate buttons while installing the mods. They would remove the highest priority files in any active mod in the left pane. It is not needed, it is just a precaution.

As for removing the install script that can be done for some of the mods like NVSE, but you do not want to do it for mods that need to make decisions on what to install, like oHUD and Project Nevada.

hmm...

I thought I would give this method a try since my attempts to do it without using FOMM left me without two very important aspects:

1) none of the items from iHUD's Extras, such as the resistances, clock, etc. were showing up and the MCM page for those things show everything selected but I am unable to make changes to those things or show them so as to move them.

2) depending on where I set those mods in my MO priority, DarnUi shows as being active in the HUD but not in the start menu and needing to be repaired for MCM to appear correctly. The actual DarnUI changes to fonts etc. are all there, just the DarnUI option in the menu.

So... I tried this method, except for the parts about the mods I don't have, like JIP mods or FOOK. I will look at using those later.

Followed every step as described and the end result is exactly the same as it was before. The main change now is no matter how I reorder them, Darn is always out of whack.

To be clear I deleted all the "installed" mods in MO so as to start from a clean vanilla base. DarnUI by itself works fine with no errors. Moving step-by-step through this gives me, as far as I can see, exactly the same result as not using FOMM. Unfortunately both ways don't give me the full package.

The UI install is very tenuous in MO and if I remember correctly NMM also. When installing in MO the files with the highest priority will get modified and even erased. The start_menu.xml in DUIs menus options got deleted or modified somehow that DUI got removed from the start menu portion. You may need to reinstall DarnUI after all mods are installed. If that does not fix it, remove both DUI and oHUD, Reinstall DUI and then oHUD or vise versa. Do not just disable and move them and activate them, the files need to be rebuilt when installed.

I thought I would strip this down to the bare minimum and investigate, so this is where I'm at.

All mods removed and only trying to get the 'Extra elements' from oHUD to show and be functional.

• Install DarnUINV. This is easy to do manually from MO and everything displays as expected with no error messages.
  • Install MCM. As you point out this must be done from FOMM as the start_menu.xml from Darn needs to be read and modified to display properly. Activate it from FOMM and then create a mod from the 'Overwrite' folder within MO. Perfect. All elements still showing correctly.
  • Install oHUD. This is where the errors are. Either from MO alone or by using FOMM to activate it, none of the 'Extra elements' are shown.

The MCM pages for that part of the mod show all the options ticked but I can't untick them or even force MCM to show those elements. The pages themselves appear to accept input. The colour of the specific elements change to highlighted and there is the audible feedback upon clicking but nothing happens.

The 'Extra HUD -- Show/Move page has all the options checked but input is impossible.

The iHUD : Extra HUD pages do allow input but nothing shows on screen.

So with just three mods install, DarnUI, MCM & oHUD, none of the extra elements such as the clock, resistances, primary needs, encumberance, etc. are visible.

I just noticed another user has also posted the same thing on the oHUD Nexus page.

May I ask, are you using the FalloutNV Ultimate Edition? I can't see how that would make a difference but I am looking for anything different between our setups at this stage.

Edited by GrantSP

Sound like you haven't updated to 1.1.

Which mod are you referring to? All the mods are freshly downloaded.

Just to test a theory I downloaded Primary Needs and installed that. Everything shows perfectly and all elements are visible both on the HUD and in the MCM. Something is screwy with Gopher's combo mod. At least it is when I do it. ;(

I can't say what is going on. I get this to work even without UIO. You can try the following to make a customization file. This is for UIO 1.10

If I am reading the UIO instructions right.

In the UIO mod open the folder ..datauiopublic.Create a plain text file oHUD.txt.Open that file, paste the two lines below and save.aHUDaHUD.xml:HUDMainMenutrue

The instructions on that page show double colons, but I read in the comments to use single colon. If the single does not work try the double.

Yep. definitely something screwy with the oHUD package.

I just downloaded the three separate mods, iHUD, aHUD & Primary Needs. Using FOMM I activated all three and allowed them to update the xml files as needed. Exited FOMM and created a mod I called 'Gopher's UI mods' from the files in the overwrite folder and activated it from within MO. Started the game and everything is on screen and can be toggled, moved or otherwise fiddled with.

The upshot for me is: while the oHUD package was formulated to reduce three mods down to one, installing those three in FOMM and creating one mod in MO does exactly the same thing. Using FOMM though does go against my previously stated stance of reducing the necessity of extra tools during installation. I guess I need to fetch myself a couple of helpings of humble pie.

EDIT:

Idiot. It doesn't do the same thing at all. Only one mod installed but there are still the three separate plugins in the load order.

Edited by GrantSP

I can't say what is going on. I get this to work even without UIO. You can try the following to make a customization file. This is for UIO 1.10

If I am reading the UIO instructions right.

In the UIO mod open the folder ..datauiopublic.Create a plain text file oHUD.txt.Open that file, paste the two lines below and save.aHUDaHUD.xml:HUDMainMenutrue

The instructions on that page show double colons, but I read in the comments to use single colon. If the single does not work try the double.

ninja'd

Ahh... I see you are referring to the UIO version. Yeah all up to date. Those latter postings were without UIO as I wanted to see if the bare minimum would display before using that to add in the other UI stuff. Thanks for that. Now I know where my setup stands I'll give the other stuff a crack.

Ok, with the exception of FOOK (I'll look at that installation after playing FalloutNV for a while), everything is installed and working as you would expect.

The only changes I made to the above installation steps are:

• Instead or oHUD I have the three original mods. (I'll need to look into this more as I still have two more plugins in my load than I need.)
  • After everything was done I needed to re-install DarnUI to fix the "Not in the start menu" problem.

I take it the empty menu folders generated in the overwrite folder after each start are from UIO?