UIO and Mod Organizer

GSDFan

Question

After many iterations I believe I have laid the groundwork for a successful install of the UI mods in Mod Organizer (MO) with UI Organizer (UIO).

When Using MO as your mod manager it was not easy to install UI/HUD mods without the use of third party tools, which added a layer of complexity to the process of installing UI/Hud mods. Mod Organizers mod isolation feature prevented a mod being installed from seeing other mods that are required and some mods refused to even install due to not being handled properly, necessitating the use of FOMM to install UI mods as one big mod. MO has matured to the point where the mods I tried below installed without error and they will see other mods when being installed.

With the advent of UIO, the final obstacle to a working HUD in Fallout New Vegas has been removed. UIO does in MO what Unified hud did in Nexus Mod manager. UIO is a NVSE mod that dynamically creates the required Hud extensions at game launch allowing you to add, remove or change the order of UI hud mods in the priority order of MO.

We are still held to the MO last file wins rule though for a properly working setup. The list below can be used as a starting point for installing the mods you need. It is not an all-inclusive list and you can add mods to it or remove the ones you do not want. The way the list is ordered will give a working setup. If you find an element not working, look for the conflicts in the MO info pane and move your mods accordingly.

The following process will require that the overwrite folder be empty of all files and folders and unless otherwise stated the mods are installed via MO install. FOMM will be noted when needed and will require a FOMM reset, which is outlined below.

Important note, you can install UIO now, but do not enable the mod until you have finished installing your UI mods. This will prevent certain files from being changed or removed if you like to test while installing mods.

[spoiler=FOMM Reset]

If you have used FOMM before you need to do this reset to prevent any accidental removal of files if reactivate or deactivate is pressed.

• Start FOMM from MO and select Fallout New Vegas as the game to manage.
  • In the main window. Click the settings button.
  • In the settings window click on the Fallout New Vegas tab.
    • Look for the Install info line and make note of the path to the Install info folder or you can copy it to the clipboard.
    • If your NMM install points to this you may want to change the location of this folder.
  • Close out of FOMM so it is no longer running form MO.
  • In Windows file explorer either navigate to the install info folder or paste the path in the address bar and press enter to go there.
  • Once in the Install info folder delete any files and folders that are there and close the window.

The reset is done. The next time FOMM is run it will inform you that it needs to upgrade some files. This is OK to do as we are treating this as a onetime install for the selected mod. The reset needs to be done before any FOMM installed mods.

[spoiler=The Mods List]

• DUINV. DarnUI mod needs to be installed so other mods can detect it. For you TTW fans, Darnui ttw 2.4 is working in this setup.
  • FPSWeaponWheel.
  • Shilo Clean Pipboy screen. You will need to select MTUI or DUINV on the Advanced Options section of the install window.Note that at this time I have not been able to run MTUI, I get infinite main menu on a new game.
  • Shiloh DS - Color Survival Map & Icons.
  • Advanced Recon Trap Detection.
  • Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision.
  • Advanced Recon armor stealth gear
  • JIP Selective-Fire
  • JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating
  • JIP Companions Command & Control
  • Project Nevada and Project Nevada extra options. FOMM Install. Do the FOMM reset if not done. Both of these mods need to be installed with FOMM. Project Nevada extra options will not install the Cyberware option if it does not see the core mods and it will not in MO. PN provides its own MCM menu system so it needs to be installed early to let the Mod Configuration Menu mod to override it. When finished make a mod out of the over write folder. Name it appropriately.
  • The Mod Configuration Menu, MCM. This mod needs and will detect NVSE.
  • If installing FOOK install it here. See the note on the FOOK description page about the Project Nevada Equipment Module.
  • The Weapon Mod Menu. This needs to see NVSE and will when it is installed. This works with the MO install and detects NVSE.
  • Move Darnified UI to the highest priority at this time.
  • One Hud. FOMM Reset. FOMM install. Upon activation it will detect DUINV, MTUI or Vanilla. It also saw the Powered power Armor mod and installed the PPA files. Create a mod out of the overwrite folder.
  • Flashlight NVSE. FOMM Reset. FOMM install. This needs to be installed with FOMM to detect NVSE and the MCM mod. It also needs to be installed after oHUD as the flashlight_battery.xml file in oHUD is outdated for the current version FlashlightNVSE. Make a mod out of the overwrite folder and activate.
  • Enable UIO.

With the exception of FlashlightNVSE, OneHUD should be the last UI mod installed. Start the game and enjoy. Don’t forget to press the “I†button to see the HUD elements.

[spoiler=Mods not working and still under investigation]MTUI

I hope that this helps others in setting up your UI in Fallout New Vegas. If you have any other mod success / fail stories please add them to this post.

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Only update I might offer is I've PM @jazzisparis on both his Nexus and Bethsoft accounts to ask for the source code to his UIO NVSE plugin.

I figure it would be very helpful to see exactly how that plugin does what it does. Haven't received any word back yet, but I'm hopeful.

I may not be able write new code but I think I can decypher existing code well enough to understand the basics.

For MO users aHUD in FO3 is a little more complicated than it needs to be, and I added some changes in the guide to simplify how it is installed and used. The xml files in aHUD in OneHUD in FNV are very similar, and when I've finished determining the right changes (which will be very similar to the FO3 changes) I'll recommend some instruction revisions.

I just noticed something odd about UIO that I seem to recall was mentioned before, but I can't put my finger on it.

It was mentioned that after running UIO there would often be a fallout.ini.uio file found in the overwrite but I never ever saw one. Well after doing a bit of fiddling with a TTW profile I have created, I noticed that my My Games\FalloutNV\ folder had that file in it! hmm, what is going on?

So I did some more testing with both the Fallout 3 versions and the Fallout New Vegas versions of UIO and it seems that file gets created only once for each profile but it never gets overwritten or re-created if removed.

Anytime I create a new profile in MO and use UIO in it that file is found, but not in my overwrite. As soon as I remove it the functionality is identical but it is never again used.

Hi there,

I was suggested over at Nexus by MistakenMystic to discuss an issue od sorts I have with UIO here (source: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2179279-uio-ui-organizer/?p=43730270)

Basically the problem I have is that UIO will modify the xml files in the mods folders directly, and sometimes when swapping to another profile this results in those files retaining data fields that make them unuseable in that setup. I was under the impression that UIO changes were never directly done to files and if anything any needed files were put in the override folder, but that doesn't seem the case. The modification date of the files changes accordingly, and one can see the new code being added to them.

Thing is after some thought, I don't really think it's an issue but rather just how UIO has to work. If I weren't using MO, it would be altering files in my Data folder just the same. The problem must be in its inability to sanitize previous changes if for example, I activate a mod with menu files that override those of another mod with lower priority, and which UIO had modified before. UIO would then apply its changes to the new mod, so if I later deactivate it and the menu files from the lower priority mod are the ones that come into effect, it will have xml fields that UIO doesn't have info about what to do with. Or something like that, it's really confusing to me since I have no idea how xml actually works.

I did a tentative try of packaging the xml files from Darn's UI in a BSA, but right as you said it seems they can't be loaded. It seems I'll have to be extra careful with what menu addons I use in which profiles to avoid having to reinstall their menu files every now and then.

At least in Fallout 3, where I have looked in detail at what UIO does, UIO modifies the menus\main\hud_main_menu.xml from the last loading mod that includes this menu file. If there was an optional version for use with only with MO it could have put this modified file in the UIO mod vs. another mod folder, but since UIO has to work with all mod managers it needs to change this file, as you mention.