UIO and Mod Organizer

GSDFan

Question

After many iterations I believe I have laid the groundwork for a successful install of the UI mods in Mod Organizer (MO) with UI Organizer (UIO).

When Using MO as your mod manager it was not easy to install UI/HUD mods without the use of third party tools, which added a layer of complexity to the process of installing UI/Hud mods. Mod Organizers mod isolation feature prevented a mod being installed from seeing other mods that are required and some mods refused to even install due to not being handled properly, necessitating the use of FOMM to install UI mods as one big mod. MO has matured to the point where the mods I tried below installed without error and they will see other mods when being installed.

With the advent of UIO, the final obstacle to a working HUD in Fallout New Vegas has been removed. UIO does in MO what Unified hud did in Nexus Mod manager. UIO is a NVSE mod that dynamically creates the required Hud extensions at game launch allowing you to add, remove or change the order of UI hud mods in the priority order of MO.

We are still held to the MO last file wins rule though for a properly working setup. The list below can be used as a starting point for installing the mods you need. It is not an all-inclusive list and you can add mods to it or remove the ones you do not want. The way the list is ordered will give a working setup. If you find an element not working, look for the conflicts in the MO info pane and move your mods accordingly.

The following process will require that the overwrite folder be empty of all files and folders and unless otherwise stated the mods are installed via MO install. FOMM will be noted when needed and will require a FOMM reset, which is outlined below.

Important note, you can install UIO now, but do not enable the mod until you have finished installing your UI mods. This will prevent certain files from being changed or removed if you like to test while installing mods.

[spoiler=FOMM Reset]

If you have used FOMM before you need to do this reset to prevent any accidental removal of files if reactivate or deactivate is pressed.

• Start FOMM from MO and select Fallout New Vegas as the game to manage.
  • In the main window. Click the settings button.
  • In the settings window click on the Fallout New Vegas tab.
    • Look for the Install info line and make note of the path to the Install info folder or you can copy it to the clipboard.
    • If your NMM install points to this you may want to change the location of this folder.
  • Close out of FOMM so it is no longer running form MO.
  • In Windows file explorer either navigate to the install info folder or paste the path in the address bar and press enter to go there.
  • Once in the Install info folder delete any files and folders that are there and close the window.

The reset is done. The next time FOMM is run it will inform you that it needs to upgrade some files. This is OK to do as we are treating this as a onetime install for the selected mod. The reset needs to be done before any FOMM installed mods.

[spoiler=The Mods List]

• DUINV. DarnUI mod needs to be installed so other mods can detect it. For you TTW fans, Darnui ttw 2.4 is working in this setup.
  • FPSWeaponWheel.
  • Shilo Clean Pipboy screen. You will need to select MTUI or DUINV on the Advanced Options section of the install window.Note that at this time I have not been able to run MTUI, I get infinite main menu on a new game.
  • Shiloh DS - Color Survival Map & Icons.
  • Advanced Recon Trap Detection.
  • Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision.
  • Advanced Recon armor stealth gear
  • JIP Selective-Fire
  • JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating
  • JIP Companions Command & Control
  • Project Nevada and Project Nevada extra options. FOMM Install. Do the FOMM reset if not done. Both of these mods need to be installed with FOMM. Project Nevada extra options will not install the Cyberware option if it does not see the core mods and it will not in MO. PN provides its own MCM menu system so it needs to be installed early to let the Mod Configuration Menu mod to override it. When finished make a mod out of the over write folder. Name it appropriately.
  • The Mod Configuration Menu, MCM. This mod needs and will detect NVSE.
  • If installing FOOK install it here. See the note on the FOOK description page about the Project Nevada Equipment Module.
  • The Weapon Mod Menu. This needs to see NVSE and will when it is installed. This works with the MO install and detects NVSE.
  • Move Darnified UI to the highest priority at this time.
  • One Hud. FOMM Reset. FOMM install. Upon activation it will detect DUINV, MTUI or Vanilla. It also saw the Powered power Armor mod and installed the PPA files. Create a mod out of the overwrite folder.
  • Flashlight NVSE. FOMM Reset. FOMM install. This needs to be installed with FOMM to detect NVSE and the MCM mod. It also needs to be installed after oHUD as the flashlight_battery.xml file in oHUD is outdated for the current version FlashlightNVSE. Make a mod out of the overwrite folder and activate.
  • Enable UIO.

With the exception of FlashlightNVSE, OneHUD should be the last UI mod installed. Start the game and enjoy. Don’t forget to press the “I†button to see the HUD elements.

[spoiler=Mods not working and still under investigation]MTUI

I hope that this helps others in setting up your UI in Fallout New Vegas. If you have any other mod success / fail stories please add them to this post.

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

After everything was done I needed to re-install DarnUI to fix the "Not in the start menu" problem.

I had to do that more than a few times.

I take it the empty menu folders generated in the overwrite folder after each start are from UIO? 

Yes, those are left over when the game closes. When the game is running they contain the inventory_menu.xml.uio in the menus folder, start_menu.xml.uio in the options folder and tutorial_menu.xml.uio in the menus folder.

@GSDFan

No. I was trying to get the 4Gb fix to work but whenever I tried to add a NVSE plugin mod to my load order the MO launcher would fail and give me an error message: "There is already an instance of Fallout:New Vegas running.".

I've just reverted to the default Fallout exe, for the time being.

The truth is I am only partly getting into setting up FalloutNV, Skyrim is still taking priority. After spending a few years playing and modding Civ V I wanted a break from that and just recently purchased both Skyrim & FalloutNV as a sort of sabbatical from 'turn-based strategies'. Glad I did, All the Bethesda games are looking really good on my computer. I last played Oblivion on my other game system and it struggled. Now everything looks fantastic. That's all beside the point though, sorry, got sidetracked.  ::D:

No problem. I recently found that if I add the path to my Fallout folder to the Windows "Path" in the environment variables section of the advanced settings, I no longer need to have the argument in the launcher. The 4GB runs as intended.

I am just wondering if having Steam, the game and MO outside of the Program File (x86) is influencing things in some strange way. Adding the NV folder path would suggest it is.

Curious. So you have no issues with the 4Gb patch and NVSE plugins?

Do you mind pasting here what your executable configs are? ie. where Steam, FalloutNV, MO and the MO executable for FNV4Gb.

I just tried again and it is only when I run it via MO that the 4Gb patch throws the error.

No, I played a couple of hours testing TTW setup. No problems to speak of.

Steam is installed on an HDD, My E drive. E:Steam

Fallout NV is installed on an SSD, My D drive. D:SteamSteamAppscommonFallout New Vegas. Skyrim and fo3GOTY are also installed here.

MO is installed in each of the games folders, D:SteamSteamAppscommonFallout New VegasModOrganizer.

The 4Gb launcher is installed in the Fallout new vegas folder, D:SteamSteamAppscommonFallout New Vegasfnv4gb.exe. There are no other entries in the Start in or the arguments boxes.

I deleted the FalloutnvMO.exe from the Fallout New Vegas folder and also the FalloutNV.exe from the exes folder. The modified FalloutNV.exe gets recreated in the exes folder when launched from 4GB with the FNV path is added to the windows Path statement.

hmm... now I'm confused.

I removed the arguments "-laaexe .FalloutMO.exe" from the executables dialog and now it runs just fine. My confusion though stems from the belief that that argument needed to be there to enable the Large Address Aware flag for FalloutNV.

Is that not the case?

If it isn't needed then why is there provision to add that as an argument?

Not that the game is struggling at the moment but isn't it now just the same as running the vanilla exe?

It was so much simpler when I could just patch the exe and be done with it. Ah well, Steam is a valuable tool I guess and they need to keep check on who's doing what to their code in game.

That was a workaround, because at the time we were getting an access denied message and no root cause could be determined. Renaming it allowed it to be written to the root folder, you can't have two files with the same name in a folder. I guess the path statement was it. The FalloutNV.exe being written to the exes folder is the modified one.

Thanks, I just tried it out. I have a problem with the pip boy items menu. It looks like all of the selections on the bottom are on top of each other in the lower left corner. Anyone else see that?

EDIT: This looks to be like a conflict between mods on my already working UI install. i will need to rebuild from scratch to test.

Thanks, I just tried it out. I have a problem with the pip boy items menu. It looks like all of the selections on the bottom are on top of each other in the lower left corner. Anyone else see that?

EDIT: This looks to be like a conflict between mods on my already working UI install. i will need to rebuild from scratch to test.

You mean like this?

https://i.imgur.com/aR9Y29o.jpg