General Feedback

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/16898/?

Better High Detail Map and Icons

I feel this mod shouldn't really be included, because the map that results on the PipBoy seems beyond the rendering ability of computer software in the FO3 universe. It feels a bit too lore-breaky to me. Of course including it is really up to the end user, but maybe it should be labled as optional. I'm a picky little mofo.

EDIT

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/8302/?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/2446/?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/430/?

Omnis Hi-Res Pip-Boy 3000, More Map Markers, and FO3 Item descriptions

These mods aren't packaged correctly in MO and need a notation indicating that it needs to be set to their data directory so it can be installed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, after installing/optimizing the Puce Moose quest mods, the sprint function supplied by FWE seems a bit...different somehow. I can't actually be sure I'm going faster than default running speed or not. It didn't seem like that last night after I test-launched. I don't actually know if anything is "wrong" or not. EDIT: Scratch that, I timed it as a point to point. It's working just fine.

In terms of optimizing, I opted to go ahead and move all of the .esp's that Moose listed in the description on the nexus page for The Mantis Imperative to the optional ESP box (which includes Mantis.esp), test-travelled to Evergreen Mills in god mode (since the guide only listed that location in the entry for TMI as a possible problem location), and the interiors seem perfectly fine, so that seems to be a workaround if you don't want to bother with .esp conflicts, but if I've just done something that will net more problems in the future please tell me if you know.

One deleted navmesh popped up in the LOOT report for the HeirApparent.esp. I'm not troubled by it, and am tempted to just ignore it. Any thoughts though guys?

Other than all that, so far so good. And...I keep truckin'.

P.S. I like how this guide is written out so far (with the little cleaning, optimize tags and such) better than any other guides on STEP. I know this is still a work in progress, but thus far it's been my favorite, and the least confusing for newbies like me who don't know exactly what they're doing all the time.

Edited by whitewolf87
  • +1 1

I feel this mod shouldn't really be included, because the map that results on the PipBoy seems beyond the rendering ability of computer software in the FO3 universe. It feels a bit too lore-breaky to me. Of course including it is really up to the end user, but maybe it should be labled as optional. I'm a picky little mofo.

Disagree. The computers might LOOK simple, but it is supposedly the 23rd century... But it's your game, use what you want. :)

The paper maps available in the 1950's had far more detail than the detail provided in this mod. The war prior to Fallout 3 was in 2077, allowing for potentially significant technology advances. If a pipboy is realistic, then it's hard for me to imagine that it couldn't handle this map.

EDIT

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/8302/?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/2446/?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/430/?

Omnis Hi-Res Pip-Boy 3000, More Map Markers, and FO3 Item descriptions

These mods aren't packaged correctly in MO and need a notation indicating that it needs to be set to their data directory so it can be installed.

Lots of mods for Fallout 3 are packaged for FOMM, and MO wasn't available when Fallout 3 was released. I'll add notes when it isn't fairly obvious what to do when installing with MO, but selecting a data directory is something I expect anyone using MO has learned to do and this doesn't need to be spelled out in detail for every mod that doesn't have the data directory in the highest level folder. You are, however, correct that FO3 Item Descriptions mod isn't installed correctly when you do this so I've added more detailed installation instructions for that mod.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, after installing/optimizing the Puce Moose quest mods, the sprint function supplied by FWE seems a bit...different somehow. I can't actually be sure I'm going faster than default running speed or not. It didn't seem like that last night after I test-launched. I don't actually know if anything is "wrong" or not. EDIT: Scratch that, I timed it as a point to point. It's working just fine.

In terms of optimizing, I opted to go ahead and move all of the .esp's that Moose listed in the description on the nexus page for The Mantis Imperative to the optional ESP box (which includes Mantis.esp), test-travelled to Evergreen Mills in god mode (since the guide only listed that location in the entry for TMI as a possible problem location), and the interiors seem perfectly fine, so that seems to be a workaround if you don't want to bother with .esp conflicts, but if I've just done something that will net more problems in the future please tell me if you know.

I'm not sure what you are saying. If you remove " The Mantis Imperative - Mantis.esp" then you can't use the quest. If you don't clean this plugin at all then you could run into problems from the wild edits (ITMs) in the plugin. You might not have any problems at all, but without cleaning dirty plugins game stability could be affected. 

One deleted navmesh popped up in the LOOT report for the HeirApparent.esp. I'm not troubled by it, and am tempted to just ignore it. Any thoughts though guys?

There isn't any practical solution for removing these, so I just live with them.

Other than all that, so far so good. And...I keep truckin'.

P.S. I like how this guide is written out so far (with the little cleaning, optimize tags and such) better than any other guides on STEP. I know this is still a work in progress, but thus far it's been my favorite, and the least confusing for newbies like me who don't know exactly what they're doing all the time.

When you install the UUF3P - FWE patch, MO provides you with the install dialog that has a small dropdown name selector with the default name selected, in this case: UUF3P - FWE Patch. Just click the dropdown box and select UPDATED Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch which is probably the name MO assigned the main installation. Now that that name is shown 'Merge' will be an option.

nb. You technically don't have to merge these mods, it is just good housekeeping to do so. The new mod can just be active alongside the original.

As to your missing right-hand side. I have no idea what you see, nothing has been changed. Have you dragged the panel edges to hide it?

Just place your cursor on the far righ-hand side and press the mouse button and drag it back to the left. 

Edited by GrantSP

Look at the weapon patch mods from Bugsby and Ghostwise on this and other threads in this forum and in the Mods forum. They are addressing getting some of the weapon stats fixed.

Thanks, I already had Ghostwise's patch but had overlooked Bugsby's patch.  Bugsby's edits in his patch largely mirrored the edits I'd been making to the Bash Patch but the Bashed Patch still steps Bugsby's patch.  What I've done is be more selective in what weapon mods I'm importing stats into the Bashed Patch and that has cleaned up some of the undesirable edits.  It still needs a post Bash patch to override which I'll probably create it this weekend.  

When installing the Unofficial Fallout 3 patch, the instructions say to install the update via "Merge".  However, Merge is not an option.  MO doesn't automatically give the Merge option and there's no manual merge option.  How is this supposed to be done? 

After (or while) you install the main file, copy the name used in MO for the mod being installed. Then click the install icon and select the optional file. On the next MO GUI window change the name of the mod to the one copied earlier and click OK. The next GUI box will allow several choices; select [Merge] to combine the optional file with the main file. This is done for each optional file.

The patches by Ghostwise and Bugsby are a big help; I'm reviewing their changes so I can provide some feedback to help improve them. For me the main concern is consistency.

If anybody could give me a quick pointer. I just installed the complete guide, and everything seems to be going fine, but one of the mods (I'm guessing FWE) disabled all of my default HUD options, and maybe I'm dense, but I can't seem to figure out how to get them to reappear (both the needs icons and the default vanilla icons. I just have a crosshair).

Could somebody point me in the right direction there? Thanks. :-)

I'm not entirely sure that this is the right thread to post this in...if it's not, point me to the right one and I'll copy this there and remove this one

Question in regards to Better High Detailed Map and Icons and installing through MO...

When I hopped in game I noticed that the whole "Data" section of the Pipboy was far too large and the image was still the default green color. No worries, I remembered seeing the note that there were some edits to make in the .xml. (Sidenote: at this time I was using the 2500 so I tried messing around with some settings to get it right but just couldn't find the correct proportions.) Again, not too worried about it. Disabled the 2500 and downloaded Omni Hi-Res Pipboy per the guide.

This is when I really noticed something wasn't quite right...It says that Better Map will detect which version of the Pipboy you are using (3000/2500/Readius) and set itself up accordingly...but, I'm feeling like this wasn't the case. When I opened the .xml with the 2500 activated the height and width were 980 and 724 respectively. Reinstalled Better Map after removing the 2500 and installing Omni Hi-Res and the dimensions were still 980 x 724 (I noticed in your guide you mention a height of 660). This is what leads me to believe it isn't detecting the Pipboy mods...

My suspicion (though perhaps I'm way off) is that it has to do with MO's virtual data folder? (I am an avid Skyrim modder and I know that when you install SkyUI the fomod doesn't see the SKSE scripts and throws an error, even though the scripts are in the *actual* data folder...thus SkyUI works perfectly)...

Am I missing a step in the install? Any clues as to what the proper dimensions should be for the 2500 (if not I'm content to play with Omni Hi-Res)...more importantly, any clue as to why the map is still green after installing?

Happy to provide screenshots and more information if it's needed...

(unrelated note: your guide suggests the use of LOOT. I *love* LOOT for Skyrim...does an amazing job. Makes an absolutely MESS of the FO3 load order though. BOSS gets it almost perfect. Perhaps people should still be using BOSS until the team can make LOOT work for FO3 with the same level of accuracy? Food for thought...)

If anybody could give me a quick pointer. I just installed the complete guide, and everything seems to be going fine, but one of the mods (I'm guessing FWE) disabled all of my default HUD options, and maybe I'm dense, but I can't seem to figure out how to get them to reappear (both the needs icons and the default vanilla icons. I just have a crosshair).

Could somebody point me in the right direction there? Thanks. :-)

iHUD by default hides the some of the HUD elements you aren't currently using. The hotkey and recommended settings are in the Hotkey guide and ControlPanelMenu guide referenced in the "In Game Settings" section near the bottom of the guide.