Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Great job on the STEP guide! Tons of great mods and very good instructions for downloading them and working around the more troublesome ones. After playing the game for a while (currently near Novac), I have only ran into a few bugs.

1. I am seeing double when selecting traits at the start of the game. Not entirely sure what is causing this, most likely to do with More Perks.

2. Fonts are slightly off only under the items tab in the PipBoy. Possible error when installing DarnUI?

3. Every now and then, I wil experience some Z-Fighting, similar to what is shown in this video. Probable causes could be a memory problem (I play this on a laptop), or maybe just an error within the game engine.

Also, there are two mods I would suggest the author adds whenever he gets the time to do so:

1. Powered Power Armor

In the lore, most of the suits run on small energy or microfusion cells, so wearing this armor now requires fuel (a few due have infinite nuclear power supplies though). It also adds around 20 possible upgrades, new hud elements fitting to power armor, and UnderArmor (for example, you can now wear recon armor under your power armor). Very lore friendly mod that adds depth to wearing this type of armor.

2. New Vegas Enhanced Camera

Allows you to see your body in first person mod (no more invisible legs). A simple change that makes the game much more immersive. You don't realize how big of a change it makes until you try it. My limited amount of testing thus far shows it is compatible with Roberts Body Replacer as well.

Thanks again for all the hard work that you have put in on this great guide!

Edited by Makornak

Great job on the STEP guide! Tons of great mods and very good instructions for downloading them and working around the more troublesome ones. After playing the game for a while (currently near Novac), I have only ran into a few bugs.

1. I am seeing double when selecting traits at the start of the game. Not entirely sure what is causing this, most likely to do with More Perks.

Reinstall that mod, maybe that will do it. I changed the directions for it again, since some people were having problems again.

2. Fonts are slightly off only under the items tab in the PipBoy. Possible error when installing DarnUI?

That's from the mod, it was never really finished. You'll get used to after a couple hours of playing.

3. Every now and then, I wil experience some Z-Fighting, similar to what is shown in this video. Probable causes could be a memory problem (I play this on a laptop), or maybe just an error within the game engine.

Typical Bethesda stuff. Try the INI tweak I added today. I'm also working on more INI tweaks for this.

Also, there are two mods I would suggest the author adds whenever he gets the time to do so:

1. Powered Power Armor

In the lore, most of the suits run on small energy or microfusion cells, so wearing this armor now requires fuel (a few due have infinite nuclear power supplies though). It also adds around 20 possible upgrades, new hud elements fitting to power armor, and UnderArmor (for example, you can now wear recon armor under your power armor). Very lore friendly mod that adds depth to wearing this type of armor.

I'm doing power armor mods after I finish testing the current crop of mods that I have installed.

2. New Vegas Enhanced Camera

Allows you to see your body in first person mod (no more invisible legs). A simple change that makes the game much more immersive. You don't realize how big of a change it makes until you try it. My limited amount of testing thus far shows it is compatible with Roberts Body Replacer as well.

Thanks again for all the hard work that you have put in on this great guide!

Because I enjoy modding so much and have way too much time on my hands I have gone through the guide about 6 or so times and I am planning on doing a full post of all the bugs/typos/problems I have found. In the mean time I wanted to make a few suggestions of my own.

Quick Trade

MG's Neat Clutter

Goodspring's Home

Quick Trade is a nice little mod that lets you skip the "Do you have anything for sale?" and "Sure. Here's what I got." I think it's essential for any playthrough.

MG's Neat Clutter is an amazing retex for those things that NMC does not cover. It could potentially be performance troubling but I think it could be posted as an option.

Goodspring's Home is something I thought should have been in the game in the first place. This mod is lore friendly and it makes sense. It's not too overpowered and

it gives you a home early on to sleep and resupply.

Mobile Truck Base

I think this mod is a good alternative to the fast travel system and is lore friendly while providing a player home. Also, you could mention that you can turn fast travel off using PN settings.

Some basic notes I have made:

*I think that ILO should be placed below NV Interior's Project due to it having requirments from Nevada Skies and NV Interior's Project

*I was going to say that Realistic Wasteland Lighting be posted as an alternative for those who don't have the computer power to run Nevada Skies but it seems to have been removed from the Nexus

*I think you should explain why you should add that .ini file for NVSE; just a quick explanation

*I think ILO should be installed using FOMM to make it simpler

These are just my opinions so take them or leave them.

Cheers, Audley

• +1 1

Goodsprings Home is probably redundant in F&LNV, given that Afterschool Special adds an awesome player home in Goodsprings. And it has a fantastic quest that goes along with it that makes you WORK towards making it better as you go along. MTB on the other hand, I think is awesome. I, as a general rule in open world immersive games (FO3, FNV, TES series etc) don't use fast travel, because it breaks immersion. However, MTB adds a very decent player home away from home, as well as a non immersion breaking method of fast travel. The MTB is way underpriced when you get it though. It really should cost a lot more than it does. Aside from that, it isn't unbalanced, as it requires constant refuelling with flamer fuel. Quick Trade is handy, I do recommend (and use) that mod myself for convenience sake.

Goodsprings Home is probably redundant in F&LNV, given that Afterschool Special adds an awesome player home in Goodsprings. And it has a fantastic quest that goes along with it that makes you WORK towards making it better as you go along. MTB on the other hand, I think is awesome. I, as a general rule in open world immersive games (FO3, FNV, TES series etc) don't use fast travel, because it breaks immersion. However, MTB adds a very decent player home away from home, as well as a non immersion breaking method of fast travel. The MTB is way underpriced when you get it though. It really should cost a lot more than it does. Aside from that, it isn't unbalanced, as it requires constant refuelling with flamer fuel. Quick Trade is handy, I do recommend (and use) that mod myself for convenience sake.

Ya you're right I completely forgot about Afterschool Special :. I've been using the Goodsprings Home for a while and I have not done the Afterschool Special quest yet do it did not cross my mind.

Afterschool Special ... [spoiler=spoiler]... even gives you a mattress to crash on before you finish the quest & the refurbishing of the schoolhouse/home.

... Or you can borrow Victor's sorry vanilla shack until your remodeling work is done.

Quick trade sounds great.

I've been curious about Mobile Truck Base, there's also Ghostdancers Motorcycle Fast Travel System for a fast travel alternative (optional trunk for storage and survival skill based random encounter system) which you can use to travel to seven destinations in the Mojave.

Edited by redirishlord

This is an incredible guide, thanks so much for putting it together! Wish I had found this earlier. I will share it a lot.

Love the Fear and Loathing references too. I actually had the Fear and Loathing OST in my "Mysterious Broadcast" on the PipBoy for a while now. Fits great.  ::D: 

I'm still digging through it, but I might be back with suggestions. Just wanted to say thanks!

Okay, I tested NVInteriors Project A Room with a View right now. It is awesome. I looked inside the plugin and the Ultra-Luxe suite is also in there, but I guess there is some quest or navmesh stuff to finish before he opens that part up. Anyways, you can actually look out the window and see the strip from the penthouse. It even had the correct weather, plus the entire suite is upgraded and very well done. This is being added tonight.

I had left Dragonskin Tactical out of the guide because I had a couple technical issues and one preference issue with it. I think after playing around with some of the gear in game for a bit, it has grown on me. I really like the design and that it has multiple color options, but I wish it was a bit more worn. Most of the military gear mods need a wear and tear, since they tend to look like something I just picked up at G.I. Supply. Even with that I'm still leaning toward it's inclusion because I really like how well done it is, especially that winter version, makes me wish someone did a Tahoe mod in the snow. No more technical issue like I had before either, so that is good. I'm not quite done testing it, but unless there is something terrible I find then I will probably add it. The Right to Bear Arms basically messes up all the NCR Troops' leveled lists, so I would leave out the NCR plugin.

Anyone using IHWT?

...I had left Dragonskin Tactical out of the guide because I had a couple technical issues and one preference issue with it ... I wish it was a bit more worn. Most of the military gear mods need a wear and tear, since they tend to look like something I just picked up at G.I. Supply...

I notice that Antistar is active on the mods forum, and has a modder's resource available as a downloadable file, perhaps someone with the skills to put some wear on those textures will step up & email him for permission to upload?

I notice that Antistar is active on the mods forum, and has a modder's resource available as a downloadable file, perhaps someone with the skills to put some wear on those textures will step up & email him for permission to upload?

I think I could do that. I have been working on how to texture so I think this might be right up my alley.

I think I could do that. I have been working on how to texture so I think this might be right up my alley.

Author's site is pretty explicit about using his work:

==========================9. MODDER'S RESOURCE INFO==========================- Please ask my permission before releasing mods that alter, are based on, or use assets from the Dragonskin Tactical Outfit mod.- To possibly save people some time: I will almost certainly refuse requests to allow the release of a 'sexified' version of the outfit (for example with pieces removed to show great swathes of skin, or the female version modified to have gigantic breasts).

Looks like he's going to say yes to something unless it's a titty mod.

With the update to FCO, everyone should maybe hold up on it until I have a chance to look over the files and make sure it is compatible with NVR3. There is a separate file in the optional section for NVR3, but I haven't looked it over yet. Keep the current F&L setup and if you're adventurous maybe see about installing both together and figure it out somehow. Only those strong with the mod-force should attempt this though.

Also, if you download the new main file ignore the required files, it is a mistake. The installer will probably let you pick what patches to install.