Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Oops. Update.bsa does include textures and the screenshots are correct. The folder has been added to the guide text. Thanks for reporting this.  In addition, the batch file contents were added to the list of files in the Working Directory to make it clearer where to extract them.

Wow this ddsopt guide just on vanilla textures has dramatically improved my performance in the short time i've tested it out with all the bells and whistles. Can't wait to put up the next vid! Thanks guys, keep up the good work!

So, I've optimised my textures and placed the folders in the modorganizermods folder. One question though. When several textures have the same path (the one in the original .bsa, the now optimized texture and perhaps even a mod that overwrites said texture), would the game try to find all three textures overwriting each other every time it needs them, or will MO / New Vegas figure out which texture is the one with highest priority and only use that one? And does either have any significant performance loss?

Can you add to your guide an example of optimizing a mod with a bsa that needs to be extracted? Kind of understand the process would be similar to whats done with vanilla textures but I don't want to screw it up.

Hello guys. Sorry if I interrupt the whole DDSOpt subject, but I wanted to ask you something since I really believe most people here are far more experienced than I am regarding FNVEdit.

So, I started modding NV with srb's guide as a base and then adding stuff on my own. The most significant mods I have installed are NVEC-New Vegas Enhanced Content and FNV Redesigned 3 (don't worry I went through the whole enhancements list of NVEC to make sure I have removed all the mods from the guide that are already included in NVEC, like EVE, Bounties I&II, etc.).

Anyway, I can tell that because of the nature of NVEC's plugin structure and purpose a huge amount of conflicts with pretty much any other mod I have installed is unavoidable. My question though focuses on cell and worldspace conflicts.

So, when applying a filter for conflicts and critical conflicts in FNVEdit after I load all my plugins, I get many conflicts in these two particular sections cell and worldspace between almost any mod that has a cell and a worldspace part.

At the moment I 'm not able to provide an image but I'll try to describe you as best as possible what I 'm talking about.

E.g. between these two plugins YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm and NVEC Complete + NVCE.esm in

Worldspace>0012D94D(EditorID:FreesideNorthWorld)>0012D9E9(<-2,-1>)>0012E911 Placed Object (Name:Car01HulkBodyStatic [sTAT:000225E8]) in the view panel I get these:

[00] FalloutNV.esm   [0A] YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm   [0F] NVEC Complete + NVCE.esm

NAME-Base Car01HulkBodyStatic [sTAT:000225E8] Car01HulkBodyStatic [sTAT:000225E8]   NVECCar01HulkBodyStatic "Car" [CONT:0F152D1B]

DATA-Position/Rotation

Position

Z                           1064.811523   1055.811523   1064.811523

The Name-Base record NVECCar01HulkBodyStatic "Car" [CONT:0F152D1B] of NVEC is green since is the one loaded later while the one from YUP is the same as the vanilla, but YUP seems to change the Z record which under NVEC is the same as vanilla. So my question is will anything bad happen if I drag n drop the YUP record to NVEC plugin(or maybe override it to my merged patch and forwarding the NAME-Base record of NVEC as well)?

Actually, I don't even know what the heck Z is but there are like hundrends maybe thousands of conflicts like the one described above on my load order(especially between YUP and NVEC).

NVEC changes some records like NAME-Base and leaves the position entries vanilla, but then YUP which is placed before it has many changes in these position entries which are not carried forward by NVEC.

In some cases even NVEC has its own position entries which ofc conflict with YUP's but in that case I just let NVEC "win" the conflict.

For me the most important is to really understand what all these X,Y,Z entries mean and what will eventually change in my game if I let them vanilla or forward YUP's edits.

As I mentioned there are thousands conflicts of this nature in cell and worldspace sections, so if for any reason its really important to forward YUP's changes I might as well disable the mod entirely cause I think my right hand is gonna explode after so many clicks and drag n drops :p

PS.Sorry if I went off-topic but I believe srb eventually is gonna spare some time to FNVEdit conflict resolution, so this post could be a good snack before the main meal maybe(?)

X,Y,Z subrecords are the position of the objects in the cell or worldspace. Z position is the vertical axis, so it keep objects from being trapped under floors or above ceilings. I don't remember off the top of my head if that subrecord is mergeable with Bashed Patch but you'd have to the check the Advanced Readme for Wrye Bash.

NVEC has tons of its own fixes, so it may have moved the object to fix its position and YUP may have done the same, but they just move them into a different place. Neither fix is really right or wrong as long as it done.

Oops. Update.bsa does include textures and the screenshots are correct. The folder has been added to the guide text. Thanks for reporting this.  In addition, the batch file contents were added to the list of files in the Working Directory to make it clearer where to extract them.

Actually, after installing the full guide, following textures will be obsolete since they get totally overwritten by texture mods: 'Update textures_opt', 'MercenaryPack textures_opt' and 'CaravanPack textures_opt'.

May as well not optimize them at all?

Edited by Soire