Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

First post here, love the guide as a whole. I have a suggestion however. In the Bash Tags section, it should be noted that the following patches should NOT go in your bashed patch at the end. I only found this out after digging through comments on EVE's page on the Nexus trying to solve an animation issue I had.

EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp

WeaponModsExpanded.esp

WMX-DLCMerged.esp

WMX-POPMerged.esp

WMX-EVE-AllDLCMerged.esp

If these are in your bashed patch, the laser rifle ends up cocked to the left and only goes to the center of the screen when you actually fire. I confirmed this by unticking my bashed patch which included those, and it immediately fixed my issue. 

I've never encountered this. Did you tag them using FNVEdit? Because several of those are not merged for me, and if there was an issue I would have solved it when making my merged patch.

Actually the problem with the Wattz Laser Rifle and EVE has already been discussed on the forums and even a more elegant solution than the one suggested by leipzig175 was provided: old thread. xEdit is your friend!

I was having the error with the normal laser rifle, not the Wattz, I should of made that clear. The linked solution will not fix errors with the normal laser rifle. I did tag them in FNVEdit. I suppose I could always try to rebuild the patch and see what happens.

Finished Bounties III last night and it was Awesome :P One Problem... Heed SomeGuy's Advice and Leave your Companions at Home before you Travel to the DLC's Area (Utah?). Willow came with me into All other DLC/Mods, but this one Finally broke her on the Last Quest of BIII. Had to start over b4 I went to Utah. Just told her to 'go back to the Lucky 38'. That goes for All Companions. I'm sure most of you know but wanted it said.  

Other than that, Great Ending and just an overall Great Story. Thanks, guys :)

Hi there, in the "Do You Feel Lucky?" part of the wiki, for CaliberX it is recommanded to get the WotNM_CaliberX 5.0 Patches optional file.

It seems to not exist though. Which other one should we use?

Also for the main file, what are the fomod options to select?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Monkee

Lol every attempt I make at distracting myself from waiting for SSE fails!  Just went through the guide yet again and yeah ran into these two issues.  CaliberX v5. is down and so is RWLE :(

I shan't be playing without and I don't want to start a playthrough and then have to update CaliberX or install RWLE.  

I suppose I'm still playing around with whether I want to use FCO or NVR3, or attempt to patch them together so that can occupy me for a while.

First world problems. 

How likely are we to see the inclusion of more mods by PushTheWinButton, such as:

Simple Saves - a less bloaty (apparently) and more stripped down alternative to CASM

VATS Alternative - A Comprehensive Bullet Time Mod

Karmic Balance - Karma Consequences

Economy Overhaul

Mojave Arsenal

?

I have been tracking these mods for a few months now -- haven't tried them out myself yet, but wondered if there was a place for them in this wonderful guide.

It all depends on whether someone has the time to update the guide properly. At the moment, I don't.

As for the mods:

1. CASM has some additional features that are nice and in regards to an F&L setup it is not extremely taxing, perhaps PTWB was using some other mods with weighty scripts, I know some of his older mods (New Vegas Reborn) murdered my loading times when their script had to run on entering a new cell, but I cannot speak for his newer ones. It has caused me little issues though.
  2. The bullet time mod is incompatible with PN and I never really considered it a problem that there were VATS perks. There are perks that are completely useless to my melee-berserker when I play that kind of character, but it doesn't really piss me off that they are there. Bullet time being tied to agility works well enough in my opinion.
  3. The Karma mod is interesting, but it depends on how strong the perks are. I would have preferred them to work more like traits, giving bonuses and downsides, but that might just be me. It's also somewhat strange that someone with very good karma should lose infamy with a faction like the Legion or the Great Khans.
  4. PTWB's economy mods have never worked well with other mods. There's a fairly simple reason for why nobody else tries to turn the economy system on its head and shake it until all the coins fall out: all mods are balanced towards the vanilla system. Yes, I am aware that it changes equipment value, but that has no bearing when completing one or two quests not modified by the mod gives me enough money to buy three fatmans. Weapons are expensive for a reason. PN's economy component works much better because it makes the player need more food, barter skill less forgiving, and repairs more expensive (i.e. it increases the cost of things you have to do instead of changing the entire field so that every other mod is incompatible).
  5. Mojave Arsenal is interesting. I've never had any issue with the naming conventions in the original game, and as such I would have wished that he made this into two into separate mods as the different parts touch very different things, but the changes to levelled lists are interesting. My New Vegas Landscape Overhaul mod does much the same thing, in adding ammo variants to some levelled lists.

Mojave Arsenal isn't compatible with CaliberX. PushButton also is really offended whenever anyone asks him about compatibility, or the possibility that his mods might be crashing people's games, despite pretty widespread reports. Not sure if they are a great fit.

Thanks for the rundown, Mono.

After reading your thoughts on PTWB's mods, I understand where you're coming from.

Most are incompatible with F&L. I'll probably try PTWB's mods in a future playthrough as it appears they're made to compliment his Jsawyer Ultimate mod seeing as it lacks features PN has.

I'll refrain from using the economy and loot mods, for sure, but I may still try out the Simple Saves mod. I hear it doesn't cause micro stutter on save like CASM does for me.

The less intrusive the better in my opinion.

It probably doesn't cause stutters, but then again, CASM doesn't cause that much on its own, it depends what you combine it with. I had major stutters when combining it with the aforementioned New Vegas Reborn Project, but that was an intensely script heavy mod, more so than any mod in F&L (and to PTWB's credit, none of his newer mods have that problem). It probably depends a bit on your computer as well, but if you have stutters, and think it covers what you need from a save mod, then by all means, go for it.

@hazelwolf: I don't know. There's a strange tendency among some authors to just randomly take things down at the moment, even if it is just for updates. Don't know what made them think it was the thing to do, and can't say I'm much of a fan myself.

@leipzig175: They look interesting enough, but would need testing.

@baronaatista: If I had time, I would probably change the guide to use NVR3 again. I know I was the one that made the change to FCO in the first place, but in my defence, FCO was being updated at the time. Currently, it has some markant issues, while NVR3 has continued to be updated by Dracomies. Besides, it was never really NVR's aims that were problematic, more that it didn't cover as much as FCO. As of now I would recommend going for an NVR3 setup if you can do without the install instructions.

Edited by MonoAccipiter

Sorry to insist but now that the topic is alive again, I try my luck.

In the "Do You Feel Lucky?" part of the wiki, for CaliberX, it seems now that the V5.04 version is unavailable that we need to install the Caliber 3-18 FOMOD file first and then the CaliberX ESM update - v4.017 but in the wiki there is no info on which fomod options to select, can you maybe help me with this?

Thanks in advance.