A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

CJ - I'm surprised neither you or anyone else has mentioned the update to Inns & Taverns to v2.0, which adds a new one, Hunter's Rest, near Shor's Stone.

I'm assuming it will be fine, but have been sitting on the download waiting to install while I work through my "issues" with Dawn of Riften.

What's up with Dawn of Riften? I just retired Dawn of Whiterun for performance reasons. :(

That's a compatibility hell, plus I saw it on Gopher's stream and his horse sunk in the ground whenever he tried to go near the Ivarstead stables.

Gopher's testing methods are a tad unorthodox, but very helpful in pointing out major pitfalls in the mods he "tests", for sure. Don't take it wrong, I enjoy watching his testing videos, but cringe a little at his devil may care mod ordering and the utter lack of any controlled testing (clean) environment.

The new Mod "A" make work perfectly fine until mixed with older Mod "B" in a load order. I never hold conflicts with other mods against a mod, I either decide to use one over the other or wait for the extraordinary work of people like you who make compatibility patches.

I know Gopher doesn't RTFM, but this has nothing to do with mod conflicts. When you are on a horse, try to get in a stable, can't dismount because there's not enough space anyway, and then ground collapses under your horses hooves, that's not a mod conflict.

I know Gopher doesn't RTFM, but this has nothing to do with mod conflicts. When you are on a horse, try to get in a stable, can't dismount because there's not enough space anyway, and then ground collapses under your horses hooves, that's not a mod conflict.

Yeah, I was making a more general statement on Gopher's Mod testing while giving credence to his ability to find major issues, let's say like the ground swallowing up your horse.

I'm afraid this isn't something I can fix quickly. Besides, ETaC will undergo some changes soon (hopefully) that'll force me to remake another replacer from scratch anyway. 

Please don't misinterpret my motivations. If there is an issue and you're aware of it, that's all I wanted to help with. I wish I could do more to help, but just identifying a real issue that I didn't cause myself taxes my modding skills. (Read that: they are non-existent.) Thanks for the info, I look forward to the update.

Nono, I do appreciate the feedback and the confirmation that the problem exists, I was just explaining why I can't fix it easily (basically I'd have to redo all the changes I did to a couple of towns, which does take a lot of time)

I was thinking I could just swap the current replacer by a merged version of all ETaC modules as they are now, minus Dawnstar and Falkreath (and without modified vanilla interiors either) when ETaC 9.2 is released. Especially since the small bugs that the replacer was designed to fix all got squashed by Jenna or me in ETaC v9.

What do people think about that? (No need to worry about saves either, I can do that in a way that'll not mess anything up in your saves ::P: )

Nono, I do appreciate the feedback and the confirmation that the problem exists, I was just explaining why I can't fix it easily (basically I'd have to redo all the changes I did to a couple of towns, which does take a lot of time)I was thinking I could just swap the current replacer by a merged version of all ETaC modules as they are now, minus Dawnstar and Falkreath (and without modified vanilla interiors either) when ETaC 9.2 is released. Especially since the small bugs that the replacer was designed to fix all got squashed by Jenna or me in ETaC v9.What do people think about that? (No need to worry about saves either, I can do that in a way that'll not mess anything up in your saves ::P: )

I think that is the path to sanity :p

I personally felt that Jenna was churning out content faster than you can patch it for her main project and your off-shoot of it. Talk about double duty. Old saying...work smarter not harder. :p

I'm using Jenna's version of ETaC right now, really like it...don't mind the Dwemer building in Falkreath either (surprisingly!) I tested it out in a test run, hadn't known what to expect.

CJ, Thanks for the info on the Navmesh with FaTT, RRR, and Inns and Taverns. I have to say, I'm really excited to get your pack working, this is exactly the type of mod list I was looking for. 

I installed SSME, tried the A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim PACK and no luck, still CTD in about 5 min, normally.

Then I disabled Alt Start, and restarted a new game. Played for about 1 hour with no issues. I don't think Alt Start had anything to do with it, my assumption is that I couldn't use my old saved game (~lvl 14, and not far in on that char). But I'll play around with it some more to confirm that assumption.

Can anyone confirm if you need to start a new game after adding these mods? Maybe my save wasn't clean enough?

I was thinking I could just swap the current replacer by a merged version of all ETaC modules as they are now, minus Dawnstar and Falkreath (and without modified vanilla interiors either) when ETaC 9.2 is released. Especially since the small bugs that the replacer was designed to fix all got squashed by Jenna or me in ETaC v9.What do people think about that? (No need to worry about saves either, I can do that in a way that'll not mess anything up in your saves ::P: )

Sounds good to me as well, as long as it doesn't involve a lot of time-consuming NavMesh editing to eat up your time! That's something I really need to learn how to do myself, maybe as part of the process of learning to love CK more than TES5Edit. ::P: 

What's up with Dawn of Riften? I just retired Dawn of Whiterun for performance reasons. :(

Well, it's not performance related - though truth be told, I'm not getting the best FPS in Riften, and figured that's more to do with my lowly GPU than DoR, really.No, my issues have involved lighting and NPC routines.The lighting issues are my own, because I'm using ELFX - Exteriors, and in the end I just deleted all of the Riften worldspace edits in my copy of the ELFX - Exteriors.esp so that DoR's edits wouldn't be "fighting" with those made by ELFX. I'm also considering switching from my "switched off at day" lighting mod of choice that I've mentioned before to Lanterns of Skyrim, so I may just stop using ELFX - Exteriors altogether.

I also switched out the Lantern used by DoR for the Skyrim vanilla one (for consistency, and I thought candles without a flame was strange.)As for the NPCs, I've seen one "Dock Worker" from Better Docks doing "ice skating" between two spots at night, and he otherwise just cycles between sitting on a particular bench and standing up. I couldn't find anything in TES5Edit that would be messing with his routines or behavior packages, so I'm really not sure what's going on there.Then, also late at night, a number of vanilla FormID'd Riften Guards seem to congregate just outside Black-Briar Manor, along with Dinya Balu. Sometimes one or two of the guards suddenly switches to the ready to fight idle, with their weapons drawn, even though there are no enemies near by. They all just stand there, milling around bumping into each other, and only very occasionally will one guard step away from the Manor's doorway. Everything is fine and normal at day, oddly. Again, when I look in TES5Edit, I can't find anything that would explain the strange behavior.

That's it for Riften - and like I said, it's probably all my own "fault", so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

However, I suppose my experience with how ELFX - Exteriors and Dawn of Riften don't get along very well shows that it might be the best advice to recommend not using ELFX - Exteriors with REGS at all. What do you think, CJ?

@Keith

I see, and understand. I've been very happy with Relighting Skyrim and two plugins made specifically for Relighting Skyrim by Jawz:

ELE Plugin - RS Light Color v0.0.37

ELE-FX Emittance

And, of course I use Manny's Indispensable LoS

Now, I prefer to not play in pitch dark dungeons or nights so my interiors and nights are closer to vanilla though a tad darker, I spent a long time choosing those textures for caves and dungeons, I want to see them!

(Recently started using Seasons of Skyrim, true HDR, performance version and loving my 30+ FPS average outdoors!)

Back, closer to the topic...Dawn of Riften may indeed have the same issues as DoW, but I spend a lot less time in Riften...those Skooma Addicts always want gold!

Nono, I do appreciate the feedback and the confirmation that the problem exists, I was just explaining why I can't fix it easily (basically I'd have to redo all the changes I did to a couple of towns, which does take a lot of time)I was thinking I could just swap the current replacer by a merged version of all ETaC modules as they are now, minus Dawnstar and Falkreath (and without modified vanilla interiors either) when ETaC 9.2 is released. Especially since the small bugs that the replacer was designed to fix all got squashed by Jenna or me in ETaC v9.What do people think about that? (No need to worry about saves either, I can do that in a way that'll not mess anything up in your saves ::P: )

I've been pleased with what you've done so far, so use the approach you think is best.