A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

I've noticed quite a few references in this thread to the REGS ETaC replacer, but there's no link to it in the Explorer Pack page that I can see. Would I be right in thinking it's not currently a recommended component of this pack? I'm quite keen on using it for performance issues (and a few bugs) I've had with standard ETaC.

There's also mention of the recommended load order of some of the replacer esp files on the main wiki page for this pack (which includes some of the ETaC replacer patches and the main REGS patches), but not where to obtain them or which patches from standard ETAC remain necessary if using the REGS ETaC replacer. Perhaps I've missed something; I'm currently working on a Step Ext / Requiem /Regs profile and the last few details of which ETaC/REGS patches I need have left me a little confused. 

ETaC obviously has it's own patches for BFT, NSuTR, ORS, 3DNPC, EWDR, Fountains, Requiem etc (these being the ones relevant to me), but I'm unclear which are fully covered by the REGS replacer, and which I still need to load.

e.g. patches in REGS ETaC replacer -

ETaC - BFT Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete.esp
REGS - NSutR.esp
REGS Patch - ORS.esp

Any clarification would be fabulous! This pack is a great addition to the STEP guide and I'm grateful to everyone that has helped it take shape.
Edited by Quinnbeast

Hmm. After looking at the guide, some posts from the past few days make more sense.

I can see that since CJ announced the removal of Dawn of Whiterun to bring REGS to v3.3.2, there has been a "silent" update which brings ETaC up to 9.2, and got rid of the link to the ETaC replacer. 

There are some other changes, but I can't account for everything without being able to compare the text of an earlier edit of the guide to what is there presently.

Since Nearox has "retired" from Skyrim & REGS, I'm sure CJ is just too busy ATM to post an "official" update, list any changes, and mention what REGS 3.3.2 users will have to do to update everything.

Anyhow, that's what appears to have happened, but CJ is obviously the best source to confirm all of it.

Edited by keithinhanoi

Thanks Keithinhanoi, that makes sense. I might just leave ETaC out of my REGS profile for just now and keep an eye out for further updates.

I highly suggest you try it out - the replacer is gone since the new versions of ETaC are completely compatible with REGS (CJ is doing most (?) of the patching for jenna). Since it only changes towns so far it doesn't consume that much of FPS :D

Alright, it's time for me to jumping in here! I'm just amazed by just how many awesome mods out there I'm missing out on. First Rootsrat's Mod Library, now this? ..sigh..

Ok so I have a few questions. I am going to do this install, slowly- My game already has performance issues in various places so I want to see how it reacts to the new additions. I also have a few questions: First, I have not installed neither the optionals folder nor Nernies' esp but I do have to install the scripts, correct? I have installed Smelters for Solitude and Riften from the man himself, kryptopyr, but I'm going to the take a wild guess that this conflicts with Dawn of Riften. Should I just sort Dawn of Riften below to override or should I delete the former and install the Solitude version only? 

I've installed the following, so far: Foundation mods, Cities' mods (except for DoR), Settlements' mods with EtaC patches for NSUtR, ELFX and EWDR, High Hrothgar Overhaul, BetterDGEntrance (should put a note that a cleaned version is already included in the REGS' Patches), Daggercross Alley, Provincial Courier and Helgen Reborn (finally giving this a go!).

I am also installing Unique Border Gates but I wanted to ask you: is there anything wrong with the patch the author provides for the Cyrodill Frontier? I am still deciding whether or not to install the FAtT series (seems like a lot!), can't I install the All version of UBG + BetterDGEntrance patch and if I install the Cyrodill Frontier, install its respective patch?

And lastly, does Inconsequential NPCs or Interesting NPCs hammer down performance for anyone here? I'm a fan of having more NPCs, which is why I installed Populated Lands and Roads a while ago (anyone know why it was taken down?) and Immersive Patrols (why is this not included?!) but I'm wondering if this is going to affect performance severely. Would it be safe to uninstall PLaRP in favor of Inconsequential NPCs? And will the poor sods added by Raven Rock Expanded near Telvanni be massacred by Ash Spawns from Immersive Patrols? :)

Anyway, thanks for this, I'm very excited to go back to my game after all of these new additions, I can feel it's going to blow me away!

First, I think krypto's a woman :p 

Second, CJ has to answer that, I have no idea (best way to check for conflicts - load both and try it out xD)

Third, I think that patch is kinda of a waste for an esp (actually two - FaTT already has a border, the unique border is super redundant), I believe it only disables or adds a few statics :/

Fourth, I have Inconsequential NPC's and have 0 performance hit with it.

Lastly, if they do, roleplay it :p

Krypto is a girl, huh? Well, she's easily one of my favorite modders and surely one of the best out there. Most of her mods are essential IMO.

I spent quite a while downloading and reading on the different mods and with just the mods I mentioned installed my game crashed when I first loaded. Crashed again on retry. So, had to disable some files to see where the problem was, disabled EWDR and ETaC's patch for it, Daggercross Alley, Helgen Reborn, DoW, Orc Strongholds, BetterDGEnrance, UKFaR and so far, so good. Looks like I'm going to have to take this even slower than I imagined... sigh..

Also, I was having a lot of problems with creating that REGS-SRLE Patch. First, on my RavenRockExpanded.esp, there is no reference to none of those references you put. When I looked at the Faction's section I saw no info from ETaC on either Seren or Rustlief and Lod already had the changes on the TEGS-STEP Extended patch. So that's where I stopped, what am I missing?

Edited by phryxolydian

Neorox has retired from Skyrim and REGS. The REGS guide and REGS_SRLE Patch guide are dated. I already pointed out problems with the REGS-SRLE Patch guide and so far those problem have not been fixed. Some things mentioned in the REGS-SRLE Patch guide have already been fixed by CJ, like SR-LE conflicts from RavenRockExpanded.esp are now included in the REGS patches. The problem is the guides are not being updated to reflect those changes which make the guides difficult to use. Currently, I would consider REGS a work in progress, and stay away from using it until the guides get brought up to date. That is unless you know how to resolve issues on your own.

REGS is not a WIP. It's completely up-to-date, I just haven't posted about the ETaC Replacer being removed here when I removed it from the guide and updated the instructions for the regular version of ETaC (I thought I did it, though, my bad).

I'm still keeping track of all the mods in it and updating the version numbers whenever it's needed. It's just that most of the mods are already in their final versions and therefore do not get any updates.

As for SR:LE, I do not use it, which is why the REGS-SRLE guide was maintained by Nearox. The only important part of it is actually the installation instructions (which I kept updated thanks to the feedback of some users, like the RND optionals).

The conflict resolution part is just nitpick (mostly a mod trying to change the music type of an interior to another). I've said it before, and I'll say it again, anything that could be gamebreaking has been avoided in the guide (or there are replacers for it).

That conflict resolution just serves to forward a couple of changes from the USKP and most of them are already listed in Neovalen's guide now since the guide is outdated.

I'll add the removal of the ETaC Replacer in the changelog so it's clearer, and I'll remove the redundant/useless entries from the REGS-SRLE guide right now.

CJ2311 let me be clear here, I meant no offense by the WIP comment. My understanding, correct me if I am wrong, was that Nearox maintained the guides while you actually resolved the issues between mods and are the face of REGS. Both the SR-LE conflict resolution guides and the REGS guides showed no changes since April 12th. Yet, checking Wiki Recent Changes showed updates without explanation in the guides or errors pointed out in the guides in this thread were not fixed. For example, the REGS ETaC patches no longer being needed (without looking at the "Wiki Recent Changes" I would have never noticed), correct way to sort ETaC patches since update 9.2.1 and the errors in the SR-LE - REGS conflict resolution after I pointed them out still exist (so I no longer knew what was needed or not). I like the work both you and Nearox did, but was waiting for the guides to update so I could maintain my SR-LE - REGS install. I know you are working hard on what you do and appreciate it.  Losing half the team must be difficult. But the truth is that the guide was becoming out dated and difficult to use, hense the WIP comment.  I was considering dropping REGS entirely.

My point is that REGS itself is not outdated, except for the 3 missing BUM rules for ETaC, which I added now.

Anyway, here's the changelog.

Version 3.3.3:

Guide Update:

[*]Added Realistic Boat Bobbing. [*]Updated the instructions for Unique Region Borders. [*]Removed the Expanded Towns and Cities custom replacer, seeing as how Jenna is back and all the issues that caused the creation of the replacer in the first place have been fixed. [*]Removed Fight Against the Thalmor 2 - The Cyrodiil Frontier as it turned out to be causing CTDs to people even with the patch (Seems to be related to the number of items it adds to that area of Skyrim, rather than actual compatibility).

REGS - Patches Update:

[*]Added a standalone patch for RRR + NSutR since the one from the ETaC Replacer is gone. [*]Removed the patches related to Fight Against the Thalmor 2.

I wanted to add Realistic Boat Bobbing, but I need to check something with Ganda first so that'll be added when he's online. He's online now, so I'm adding that to the guide.

Edited by CJ2311
  • +1 2

I hope everything is now clear :p Btw, for everyone complaining about the REGS - SRLE guide not being up to date, read the first paragraph here. Don't forget that with Nearox being gone you should do the conflict resolution yourself and that any doubts can always be clarified here :p

I highly suggest you try it out - the replacer is gone since the new versions of ETaC are completely compatible with REGS (CJ is doing most (?) of the patching for jenna). Since it only changes towns so far it doesn't consume that much of FPS :D

Yeah, I'll give it another shot. I've been having a few issues with out-of-places meshes and flashing textures - hopefully just load order issues. I'll see if the userlist update does the trick.

CJ - Thanks for the guide update and the clarification on the current state of the pack. REGS is fast becoming a vital part of my current setup.

Edited by Quinnbeast

My point is that REGS itself is not outdated, except for the 3 missing BUM rules for ETaC, which I added now.

Anyway, here's the changelog.

I wanted to add Realistic Boat Bobbing, but I need to check something with Ganda first so that'll be added when he's online. He's online now, so I'm adding that to the guide.

Thanks for this. I placed these myself, but was not sure if I had the correct load order. While I am very skilled at using the modding tools thanks to Neovalen's excellent guide. I have yet to learn order placement or conflict resolution on my own. I rely on people like you, Neovalen, Smile99, and others to do the hard work for me. Again much appreciated.

I hope everything is now clear :p Btw, for everyone complaining about the REGS - SRLE guide not being up to date, read the first paragraph here. Don't forget that with Nearox being gone you should do the conflict resolution yourself and that any doubts can always be clarified here :p

I am well aware of Neovalen's guide as it brought me to this site to begin with. I read about it on some gaming site (can't remember where). His guide taught me everything I know about modding, including using TES5Edit. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out how to do conflict resolution or mod ordering on my own (if it isn't in BOSS), but am very good at following the provided instructions. Due to the fact that I learned so much here (thanks Neovalen), I try to help when I actually know the answer to questions. The problem is without Nearox, I do not know how to do REGS - SR-LE conflict resolution on my own. I really appreciate the hard work that the guide authors provide for all these guides.