A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Really? Even the ELFX - exterior with LoS? I haven't used both in a while but from what I remember they added way too many light sources near building entrances.

Btw, is the Interesting NPCs patch going to be included in the main one or separate?

Well I use Vividian ENB. It has a preset for ELFX in the optional files section, which dims the lantern lights a bit so I haven't noticed that.

In any case, if you notice it ingame you can always disable them via the console and/or write down the lantern's FormID and then remove it via tes5edit if it is that disturbing.

"Short" meaning a couple of hours :P

Really? Even the ELFX - exterior with LoS? I haven't used both in a while but from what I remember they added way too many light sources near building entrances.Btw, is the Interesting NPCs patch going to be included in the main one or separate?

The Interesting NPCs patch will be separate.All patches will be modular in this version, there's not a lot of them though so don't worry about plugin count.

The Interesting NPCs patch will be separate.All patches will be modular in this version, there's not a lot of them though so don't worry about plugin count.

I'm at 262 so I'll probably merge them :p it's just that I don't use INPCs, if you could keep them modular it would be great :p btw, have you considered putting your patches up at nexus so we could endorse you?

Yeah, the patches will stay modular, with maybe some merged versions that get installed if you pick multiple options in the FOMOD installer.

So far I've got separate patches for:

- CRF

- 3DNPC

- ORS

- Aurora Village + RWT

- STEP Core

- STEP Extended

As for putting them on the nexus, well it's in the works, but me and Nearox are not agreeing on that point: He wants to actually make a dumbed down version of the guide for Nexus whereas I just want to make a page to host the patches :P

Either way it'll have to wait until the upcoming version (not the v3 that should come out tomorrow, but the one after).

keithinhanoi said: I also happen to use a different chimney mod from the one in REGS, called Chimneys for Skyrim - but not the one listed here on STEP, but rather one that is no longer available on Nexus (skyrim mod #17919). That also leaves a few unattached chimney's after ETaC's repositioning of some vanilla houses, so I'm "removing" those as well.Are you sure that's not the same mod which got hosted on TESA? :)Note that there'll also be clipping chimneys in the places affected by ETaC, not just floating. Same goes for the smoke.

Not sure, but it might be. Since it disappeared from Nexus silently, I only know that it was Nexus Skyrim mod #17919, and the version was 3.0, and the chimney's are side-attached and taller than the screenshot for that one on TESA. Anyhow - it's my problem to deal with, and the InitiallyDisabled / Z = -30000 trick is working great. 

keithinhanoi said: I encourage you to check out IC-EDFL as an alternative to Lanterns of Skyrim, but note that in addition to the patching that is needed when used with ETaC, it also needs some fixes if you're using the full complement of ELFX's plugins (since it also moves / removes some vanilla exterior lights).Will check it out then, I don't use any exterior lighting mods anyway, ENBs are enough for that :D

IC-EDFL seems really nice, it'll need a patch for elfx exteriors though? And cj, are you thinking of adding it? :p

On second thought, it's too much of a mess to incorporate into REGS as is. The problem is that in ETaC adds so many extra lights in to some towns / villages that when IC-EDFL's lights are thrown into the mix, there are just too many light sources, and I'm seeing lights popping in, and glitches with the shadows not working properly on ground textures. However, I love those bridge braziers from IC-EDFL so much that I may try to make a "light" version of the mod which just adds the day / night switched lanterns on roads and the bridge braziers, and not touch any cities / towns / villages. That should in theory make it totally compatible with REGS and ELFX. If I want to share it with anyone, though, I would need to get permission from the author. Or.... I could just give up on the bridge braziers and go back to Lanterns of Skyrim. I did stop using LoS because of strange light intensity / color issues (even after fiddling with a custom light setting as MannyGT explained) and also the day / night cycle switching stopped working for me a couple times. Of course, that was months ago, and I know more now, so I'll have to give it another go I suppose, if I decide to give up on IC-EDFL. 

keithinhanoi said: Oh, and as a side note - I noticed that ETaC uses rounded-shape lanterns, while both Lanterns of Skyrim and IC-EDFL use the box-shaped vanilla ones. Nothing earth-stopping, of course. :)Well, not everyone is going to use the same type of lanterns after all :PFun fact: the rounded lanterns in ETaC were made by MannyGT, who also created the Lanterns of Skyrim mod :)

That is a fun fact, didn't know that. Edited by keithinhanoi

Version 3 is out. (That means you 4 people who downloaded the patches before I set them to private should download them again)
If for some reason you have stored/thrown something in the sewers, get them back before you update.
Changelog:

Pack Updates:
  • Changed the layout of the entire guide.
  • Added a new quest mods section.
    • Added The Oblivion Realms Serie by MannyGT and MurderWrath.
    • Added The Temple of Black Rock by MannyGT and MurderWrath.
    • Added The Fight Against the Thalmor series by MadFrenchie.
    • Added Helgen Reborn by Mike Hancho.
  • Added a new NPC mods section.
    • Added Interesting NPCs by Kris Takahashi.
    • Added Inconsequential NPCs by Ripple.
  • Added the No Snow under the Roof mod by Prometheus_ts.
  • Added Sky Haven Temple Enhanced by ItsMeToo.
  • Removed Sky Haven Temple Merchants & More.

REGS Updates:
  • Merged the Skyrim Sewers into the main REGS - Cities.esp file.
  • Removed the REGS - Cities.esp patch.
  • Added standalone compatibility patches for the follwing mods:
    • Interesting NPCs.
    • Cutting Room Floor.
    • Helgen Reborn + Fight Against the Thalmor.
    • Realistic Waters Two.
  • Updated the STEP Extended Patch, it now includes a lot more fixes.
  • Updated the Dawn of Windhelm and Daggercross Alley replacers.
  • Added replacers for Fight Against the Thalmor 2 & 4.
  • Separated the ETaC replacer from the main file for the sake of simplicity.

ETaC Updates:
  • Added a patch for the No Snow under the Roof mod by Prometheus_ts.
  • Fixed some door markers in Morthal.
  • Fixed some issues with SFO placing tall grass and lupines in Darkwater Crossing's walkways and farms.
  • Updated the ORS Patch.
Edited by CJ2311

I'm having issues with the patches. When I try to install them I get this with NMM (I know NMM sucks, but MO can be a pain sometimes esp with reproccer and ect.) Anyways this is what I get 

"There was an error registering this mod: REGS v3 - Main Error: Version string portion was too short or too long. "

I'm having issues with the patches. When I try to install them I get this with NMM (I know NMM sucks, but MO can be a pain sometimes esp with reproccer and ect.) Anyways this is what I get "There was an error registering this mod: REGS v3 - Main Error: Version string portion was too short or too long. "

Never heard of that error before. I changed the version string from 3 to 3.0 though, it might actually fix it, considering how silly NMM is. I'm uploading the new files currently, so try again in 5 minutes. (My upload speed is slow)EDIT: It's up now.I've also fixed a small oversight with the REGS - Main fomod where it would not let you install both the STEP Extended and the RWT patch at the same time. Edited by CJ2311

That indeed did fix it, but when I try to install I get this error. I just installed it via MO and copy and pasted it over, figure I'd let you know though I'm sure a few idiots like myself still use NMM.

Posted Image

Edited by avaro