Vividian - Weather & Lighting enhancement - CoT - RCRN and Pure Weather

Mangaclub

Benhat - here are some more comparative screenshots of the 5.01b Normal, 5.01 Brighter and 5.01b (even) Brighter presets (the one with added bloom) taken in a better lit location.

I agree that the escape from Helgen is exceptionally dark so I went to Embershard Mine and noticed that the added bloom in what is currently the 5.01b Brighter preset might be a little too strong, especially when standing in the lit area of a torch as the smoke picks up the bloom and brightens the screen strongly. I think it might be a nice idea for a future release to ship with the Normal preset and optional Brighter (what was 5.01 Brighter) and optional Even Brighter (5.01b Brighter with added bloom) to cover all the bases. That would give folks who love the gloom a way to play in the dark. Those who prefer a little extra light can then pick the Brighter preset and those who really need a boost can go for the Even Brighter with the added bloom.

Here are sets of three 1440p pics in Embershard. The first of each set is looking down the well-lit tunnel with torches. The second is standing in an area of torchlight to show the bloom strength and the third is of a darker area with partial light.

Vividian 5.01b Normal

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Vividian 5.01 Brighter

Vividian 5.01b Even Brighter

One should not use the initital helgen intro as a comparison for anything. Since it is really quite dark with ELE image spaces. Reason being that it is almost entirely ambient lighted. Relighting skyrim does touch the area and improves it a little bit. 

If you want a more immersive experience then it should be fairly simple to create a mod that adds in a torch in the first chest you open to get the key, or on the body dependent on choice made. (Sorry for spoiler! hehe )

Also using bloom to lighten up the general ambience is always going to backfire since the effect is multiplicative in bright spots and will cause even more bleed effects which will most likely upset many more locations then the few you want to fix. Granted if you want a K ENB or other bloom heavy preset looks then that is the way to go about it! 

@daniel.

Wow! Awsome shot comparison! Thanks!

But i think too much brighter and brigther + verisons are a bit contraproductive. We would need todo this also then with the nights and nights&interiors and then we end up with...alot of special editions :D

Thats why we included detailed informations how to tweak the enb to ones taste and monitor if none of the presets apply wich basicly is done in a few clicks since V5.

I agree it is a good idea to offer a single version of Vividian and a guide showing which values to tweak. That way your team can produce the preset the way you like it and we can then push or pull parts to get it how we want it, but with confidence that our edits will be appropriate.

Step 1: make sure people learn how to open the GUI! :) 

You would be surprised how difficult this task is for quite a few people! If they do manage to open it then they will most likely get confused by the names of the variables!

I find it amusing that I still have people asking how to remove the letterbox even though it says so in like 3 different places now! People just never read documentation hehe! 

That said then yeah... with the scope this preset already has in terms of variables, then if you are going to support multiple iterations of it... well I already have the hat off for having that silly amount of weathers, but if you multiply that by 3... then I guess I have to throw in the beard! 

Greetings everyone
As you might have noticed, Pure Weather has been released into the Nexus:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52423/?
This mod changes/enhances all Vanilla weathers and for those who want to try it out i uploaded a
Support update for Pure weathers in the [/url=https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ealhwl36l95z5zq/JEPosTxJ-w]beta section.[/url]
It is important to know though, that the extended weathers are not compatible with pure weathers yet.
But this will change very soon.
Enjoy!

Good news.

5.10 is out with the Final Compatible Edition for Pure Weather.

I have to say the Imagespaces of Pure weather are really nice to handle although the nights are....black....so

....dont ever try to get out during a snowstorm except you are a Silent hill fan! :D

Edited by Mangaclub

I agree it is nicely done.. it is just sad that the only way to get image space darkness is by reducing the brightness. Pity there are aint a proper night time light source to alter instead... oh well next TES game perhaps! 

That said grats on the new release, it is quite impressive that you manage to continue to find the time and mood to expand on vividian! :) 

thanks:) As long i won't run out of tea this project shall continue :D

Speakign of next TES. Are there any official or unofficial informations about the next release and what it will be ? Just heard about lot of fake announcements around the net.

i have uploaded a new version in the beta files section.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l7q5uzycy8as42h/ehTxi10F7I

For all those who want to experience a more vanilla colored skyrim, this is the "Vanilla Color Version" (in lack of a name yet). It uses a s/w palette.
Additionally added the "gaussian bloom" effect.txt from prod80 (credits to the best). Added SweetFX for Lumasharpen instead of the old effect.txt.
Also tweaked all weather for a darker sunset/rise. And small tweaks here and there.
(There is no "brighter edition" for this yet... maybe later. But it is perceived already a little bit brighter, because of some bloom changes)

So, this is experimental. Let's see where it takes us. Maybe there will be two different versions of Vividian ENB in the future.

Cheers,
Benhat

Edited by benhat

SweetFX for luma sharpen cost more performance then effect.txt. Not much granted but the extra injection is not really worth it if that is the only reason. I would be happy to provide luma sharpen you can just put in your enbeffect.fx file if you need it. 

That said then keep up the great work guys! Inspiring as always! 

A few things I find to be important for an ENB - efficient performance while maintaining texture detail, and realistic colors with realistic pitch black situations.

I appreciate all the time and effort being put into making this ENB a good one.  Thank you.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Ok, long post alert. :)

This is a really good looking ENB. I just have a couple of things I'd like to point out in version 5.10. Hopefully constructive. :)

Have a look at this shot from outside
Whiterun (Vividian)  >>  Vanilla
Posted ImagePosted Image

Does your lighting and color maybe give the impression of a too warm climate? Just look at the vanilla mountain and the fog surrounding it. Brrrrr, looks freezing! Your general lighting looks almost as it is a warm summer instead of a chilly tundra climate. That said I prefer your blue sky as opposed to the washed out vanilla one. Maybe you could find some middle ground between the ice cold chilly vanilla lighting and your warm summer look? I'm talking about both general lighting and sky color.

Here are some more comparison shots:

Vividian Whiterun >> Vanilla Whiterun
Posted ImagePosted Image

Vividian tundra >>> Vanilla tundra
Posted ImagePosted Image

The second thing is the darkness of certain places. Here are a couple of shots from Riften during midday:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I think they are a bit too dark. Looks more like afternoon or evening.

I actually liked the last version (4 was it?) a bit better, because it had a fantastic mix of reality and fantasy/adventure look to it. A couple of shots from that version:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
That last one is incredible. It's almost a painting, and I remember the weather and conditions in-game when I took the screenshot. It was almost like walking inside a painting, wow! :)
I hope you don't change it a lot because that version was what made me really like this ENB in the first place.

Anyway, I know you can't please everyone, and you have done a great job. :)
Edited by TechAngel85