Trying to download SKSE. Can't open downloaded file?

So, I'm trying to reinstall all my mods after a hard crash caused me to require reformatting my drives and reinstalling the OS. Now, I need SKSE. I have 7-zip downloaded and I downloaded SKSE. I go to open the file from the downloads list and it only opens up a blank page with the SKSE url. I can't get it to open for anything. I've tried updating windows. I've tried running DISM. I've tried other things but nothing is getting it to work. 

Any idea what I'm missing?

Capture.PNG

20 minutes ago, Darklustre said:

So, I'm trying to reinstall all my mods after a hard crash caused me to require reformatting my drives and reinstalling the OS. Now, I need SKSE. I have 7-zip downloaded and I downloaded SKSE. I go to open the file from the downloads list and it only opens up a blank page with the SKSE url. I can't get it to open for anything. I've tried updating windows. I've tried running DISM. I've tried other things but nothing is getting it to work. 

Any idea what I'm missing?

Capture.PNG

Install 7-zip.

Is that a browser in your screenshot? Whatever it is, that's not the 7-zip application. You should be able to go to the folder containing your archives in File Explorer, right click any zip, 7z or rar archive file and select 7-zip > Open Archive to view the contents within the 7-zip application.

57 minutes ago, Darklustre said:

I said I have it installed in the OP?

No, you said you downloaded 7-zip.

You must install it to associate it with *.7z files. Once it is associated to the 7z file type, double clicking it will open the archive in 7z rather than what appears to be Windows Edge from your screenshot.

If you know you have 7z installed, then Windows prevented it from associating with its own file type, so that's why I mentioned installing 7z.

Alternatively, press Shift while right clicking on any *.7z file, and choose "Open with", and select 7-zip with 'Always' checked.

I did actually have it installed but it's not automatically working on double click. Is there a step I'm missing? I was able to get it to work by right clicking skse in the downloads folder and using 7zip on it, thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Darklustre said:

I did actually have it installed but it's not automatically working on double click. Is there a step I'm missing? I was able to get it to work by right clicking skse in the downloads folder and using 7zip on it, thanks. 

Read my previous post again. You need to Google how to do this if the following doesn't make sense. You need to set the file-type association with Windows. This is the simplest way to achieve that, IMO. (although, reinstalling 7z by running the installer as an admin may be even better).

image.png

Alternatively, you can open 7z and choose Tools > Options > System tab to set the file associations. There's also many other ways to do it.

Rebooting is also a possibility.

15 hours ago, z929669 said:

No, you said you downloaded 7-zip.

You must install it to associate it with *.7z files. Once it is associated to the 7z file type, double clicking it will open the archive in 7z rather than what appears to be Windows Edge from your screenshot.

If you know you have 7z installed, then Windows prevented it from associating with its own file type, so that's why I mentioned installing 7z.

Alternatively, press Shift while right clicking on any *.7z file, and choose "Open with", and select 7-zip with 'Always' checked.

Ok, something seems really weird with my system, which isn't surprising because my laptop is failing and doing things the guys at the repair shop couldn't understand. I'm basically using it until it goes. I've tried everything you suggested and here were the results:

I uninstalled 7zip and then ran the installer as admin and it didn't give me the option to associate it as I understood your instructions to mean would happen.

I tried Shift clicking and Open With but I get an error message. I'll attach the pic.

I did the Tools/Options/System tab to set the file association but wasn't sure what to do at that point. Can you give me the final step? I'll attach the pic.

error.PNG

error1.PNG

Btw, this isn't the only problem I'm having. Another weird thing is trying to click links listed on Youtube. The links are correct but they open blank pages too. I have to manually search the name to get the mod with the same link that wouldn't open. I try to go fullscreen on video tutorials listed on mods and it tells me fullscreen is unavailable. I click on Youtube and it opens up the video and I can then watch it fullscreen. I've never had these problems before the major crash. 

That could be. The original problem I had was that my laptop started freezing and it would pop right back to where you were after 20 minutes of freeze. It would loop the sounds too. Sometimes it would pop back on extremely bright, but the settings still showed it at 51% and if you raised it above what it was set, the brightness would dim back down. They thought it was GC but they had me link it to the TV and said if it was GC it would not affect the TV screen. If it affected the TV screen too than it was my harddrive or something. Instead, it caused my TV to go all pixelated while the laptop was just fine. They said that was impossible. Long story short, they have no idea how to fix it and I'm out $200. 

Thanks for the help.