Immersive Sounds - Compendium (by lazygecko)

z929669

Discussion topic:
Immersive Sounds - Compendium by lazygecko
Wiki Link

Recommended as an expansion of AOS and also comes with a compatibility patch maintained by this and the AOS author, so I think it's likely a no-brainer, given the added non-overlapping sounds to yield a more comprehensive soundscape.

Associated mod links:

AOS Expansions

AOS-ISC Integration Solution

Implementation Mechanic

Install config for testing (do try other options, but please note results in comparison to vanilla or the following options if so):

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Also been using this for years without issues.

For people using the Sound Record Distributor, there is an ISC patch out here. The same mod page has a "cleaned ISC .esp" file, which is "with unneeded edits removed as SRD now handles that. ISC is typically loaded pretty high in your load order, so there's likely not much point to using this, but here it is".

MA mentions in the comments that the AOS+ISC integration patch is still needed with this.

EDIT: I have never used Synthesis or said patcher. I have of course used Wrye Bash, which does a pretty good job at forwarding the sounds

Edited by ButchDiavolo

I just reviewed all of the plugins together (including the three expansions produced by AOS MA), and there is remarkably little overlap amongst the plugins (i.e., it looks like what few conflicts there are are intentional.

It appears as though these mods were all made to work together, and it's evident that all of the patching has been done with great care to respect each of these mod's contributions.

I'm preparing topics for the other three now ...

The SRD-based ISC patch is used for compatibility between ISC and other mods, mostly weapons and armors (such as WACCF), which would be normally done in xEdit by forwarding ISC sounds to those items.

Compatibility between AOS and ISC is separately addressed by the AOS-ISC integration patch, as both mods overlap in certain areas. This patch is a subjective "director's cut", if you will, by the current AOS maintainer, who intersected the two mods and picked either AOS or ISC edits depending on their perceived quality. Typically ISC is preferred for weapons, armors, clutter sounds, while AOS is preferred for ambient and creature sounds, and "output models" (reverb, attenuation, balance, ...).

Technically the AOS-ISC integration patch is not required. You could resolve the overlapping conflicts yourself in xEdit by picking whichever one you prefer. But testing each sound and output parameter individually from either mod would take forever. So the integration patch is a great time-saver and highly recommended.

8 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

The SRD-based ISC patch is used for compatibility between ISC and other mods, mostly weapons and armors (such as WACCF), which would be normally done in xEdit by forwarding ISC sounds to those items.

Compatibility between AOS and ISC is separately addressed by the AOS-ISC integration patch, as both mods overlap in certain areas. This patch is a subjective "director's cut", if you will, by the current AOS maintainer, who intersected the two mods and picked either AOS or ISC edits depending on their perceived quality. Typically ISC is preferred for weapons, armors, clutter sounds, while AOS is preferred for ambient and creature sounds, and "output models" (reverb, attenuation, balance, ...).

Technically the AOS-ISC integration patch is not required. You could resolve the overlapping conflicts yourself in xEdit by picking whichever one you prefer. But testing each sound and output parameter individually from either mod would take forever. So the integration patch is a great time-saver and highly recommended.

So SRD-based ISC patch alleviates any need for the ICS Patches Section patches I imagine (e.g., the two that apply to Step is the WCCAF and Enhanced Blood)?

If so, then I must add it (or the latter patches) into the mix.

30 minutes ago, z929669 said:

So SRD-based ISC patch alleviates any need for the ICS Patches Section patches I imagine (e.g., the two that apply to Step is the WCCAF and Enhanced Blood)?

Right, more or less. WACCF for sure.

There are things that SRD doesn't cover, such as Impacts and Impact Data Sets. In that case, manual patching is still needed:

• Artic Frost Redux
  • Deadly Spell Impacts
  • Enhanced Blood Textures

I won't be able to provide much input/advice on the SRD-based ISC patch because I've already painstakingly manually patched my whole load order for ISC a while ago, and I'm not willing to "test" this patch at this stage.

Instead I'll refer you to lilebonymace's patches for AOS, ISC and AOS+ISC with the above mods, which are made to complement the SRD-based patch. This guy has been making a lot of excellent patches for a while, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. Also the SRD-based ISC patch comments section has good questions/answers.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

I reviewed a subset of the sounds from this mod in the past and actually decided I didn't care for it back then. I can remember the sounds not lining up with traditional ES (like the iconic Nirnroot). I can't recall specifics, but I definitely had some issues with it. Granted that was a while ago and the mod could have changed since then.

This one will be a tough test simply because it's so extensive.

12 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

I reviewed a subset of the sounds from this mod in the past and actually decided I didn't care for it back then. I can remember the sounds not lining up with traditional ES (like the iconic Nirnroot). I can't recall specifics, but I definitely had some issues with it. Granted that was a while ago and the mod could have changed since then.

This one will be a tough test simply because it's so extensive.

The latest FOMOD has good options for a more vanilla friendly install (e.g., nirnroot), which is what I have set up in my dev.

So far, I have no complaints, but my sample is extremely limited without a full playthrough and given all of the contributing sound mods currently being evaluated concurrently for 2.2.0.

What I will say is that the AOS MA created Audio Overhaul - Immersive Sounds Integration (also linked in OP) to essentially merge this with AOS, so such inconsistencies together with the FOMOD choices should make this one entirely consistent (and improved) with respect to the current Step soundscape.

I've been using the same options as your suggested ones, except a few minor ones that are different or that I left out. Some of the choices don't actually matter depending on other audio mods being used, how conflicts are resolved, or whether the AOS-ISC integration patch is used. 'Dungeon Ambiance' for example: the AOS-ISC integration patch makes AOS win so ISC sounds are not used.

Is the red question mark next to Silent Arrow Projectile Loop option because you're undecided or because you're wondering what it's about?

2 hours ago, Mousetick said:

Is the red question mark next to Silent Arrow Projectile Loop option because you're undecided or because you're wondering what it's about?

I'm just not familiar with the issue and would not easily be able to know what to listen for either way.

I'm going to post here with respect to all of the sound mods in testing right now, since this one is probably the most significant change of them all (and all are linked in OP).

With all of the patching the AOS MA did for AOS-ISC compatibility along with SRD and the patching Mouse mentioned previously that I have implemented into the Step CR patch, my game sounds great so far.

But my sampling is only the tip of the iceberg. A playthrough for several hours of varying activity is needed.

Mousetick is a passive advocate by proxy, and DoubleYou also vouched for a historic version of this, so I'm inclined to accept it but would appreciate more input from those testing it with Step (a bit unfair if you don't have the CR patch, but that stuff only represents a small sliver of use cases).

How will this impact the various singular sound replacer mods in Step, the various animal sounds and bows & crossbows? Did you set up this mod at the end of the 'Sounds & Music' section to overwrite? (I just imagine there would be some overlap ...)

Edited by CorneliusC