Sound Record Distributor (by doodlez, Dylan James)

CorneliusC

Discussion topic:
Sound Record Distributor by doodlez, Dylan James
Wiki Link

SKSE framework which allows sounds to be distributed at runtime, greatly simplifying audio mods and patches. New requirement for Audio Overhaul for Skyrim SE.

Associated mod links:

AOS Expansions

AOS-ISC Integration Solution

Implementation Mechanic

I think I'm going to stop modding. There are too many of these types of things coming out that are breaking the normal file resolution for the game. Things like this and SPID make it 100x harder to track down issues. These things put a lot more burden on mod authors because now everyone wants your mods to support these things, and guide authors because we no long have a reliable way to track conflicts. The problem is they won't show any conflicts because all the records are being edited at runtime. We're just making it harder and harder to actually mod in any traditional way.

15 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

I think I'm going to stop modding. There are too many of these types of things coming out that are breaking the normal file resolution for the game. Things like this and SPID make it 100x harder to track down issues. These things put a lot more burden on mod authors because now everyone wants your mods to support these things, and guide authors because we no long have a reliable way to track conflicts. The problem is they won't show any conflicts because all the records are being edited at runtime. We're just making it harder and harder to actually mod in any traditional way.

Maybe I'll just stay on the 1.6.353 game version forever.  LOL

43 minutes ago, ButchDiavolo said:

Why tho. You can simply, like, NOT install mods like this?

Yes, for this particular mod, sure.  I won't be updating it unless the Step guide does.  However, I'm still waiting for 3 other mods to be updated to work with 1.6.640 before I update my game files to 1.6.640.

I agree that so-called 'distributor' runtime mods do make troubleshooting much harder and subvert the default mechanics. They can be pretty cool though but akin to mods like SSE FPS Stabilizer and DynDOLOD: they should be activated AFTER all 'normal' mods are installed and performance evaluated.

I'm more worried by becoming too heavily dependent upon mods that require an active maintainer against Bethesda updates to ensure usability, especially in cases like this author, who has a ton of mods that would need updated, and very candidly posts about the unavailability to provide significant support. I mean, he says...

Due to my real-life situation I cannot offer support for my mods in the near future.

This could easily result in the bricking of mods that require it if the game receives an update and no update is provided. We have this annoyance already with the .NET Script Framework, which we were forced to drop, along with mods requiring it.

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

I'm more worried by becoming too heavily dependent upon mods that require an active maintainer against Bethesda updates to ensure usability, especially in cases like this author, who has a ton of mods that would need updated, and very candidly posts about the unavailability to provide significant support. I mean, he says...

This could easily result in the bricking of mods that require it if the game receives an update and no update is provided. We have this annoyance already with the .NET Script Framework, which we were forced to drop, along with mods requiring it.

Very good point. It's annoying, and these MAs should consider NOT providing their mods in the first place or take them down. Alas, DP incentivizes bad etiquette :|

21 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Very good point. It's annoying, and these MAs should consider NOT providing their mods in the first place or take them down. Alas, DP incentivizes bad etiquette :|

I wouldn't say that. That's a rather extreme statement. I merely express concern about long-term viability.

4 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

I wouldn't say that. That's a rather extreme statement. I merely express concern about long-term viability.

I don't think it's extreme at all. Why provide a mod and immediately declare "no support from me in the future". Put it up and assign an admin at least, or don't bait people with another unsupported mod.

Can I just jump in with an absolutely worthless $0.02?  (Well, I guess I just did. LOL)
I just wanted to say that I am honestly HAPPY to see a back and forth exchange from Admins here on the greater issue currently facing Skyrim modding (and, really, its future).  Sometimes as "just some dude who games and mods casually", I feel like it's only me seeing these types of issues as even being, well, issues in the first place.  So, as much as I'm not enthused to see anyone ever talk about throwing in the towel (even half-jokingly), I know EXACTLY why it was said and have felt EXACTLY the same way myself recently.  So, I am actually relieved to see that it's not just me and not just being said at the "layman level".  Seriously... thanks for that refreshing peek "behind the curtain".

(Sidebar:  Just this week I decided that since everything feels FUBAR anyway I'd undertake the project of "downgrading" Skyrim all the way back to 1.5.97 with SKSE 2.0.20 but keeping the AE CC content in place.  Obviously, that's beyond what STEP has ever been intended to be or do and, with having to determine what mods ACTUALLY need to be rolled back and which should remain at newest versions to cover the CC content, the "average user" of the guide would probably get lost since most are understandably not looking to take the time to educate themselves on such matters.  But, for what it's worth, I may be having the best time I've had modding Skyrim in years now.  I've been able to get the entire current STEP load order - and some old "abandoned" mods like MiniMap and some combat overhaul mods far beyond the scope of STEP - to all run together with more than enough stability to suit me.  Oh, all on Windows 11, no less, since if you're gonna try hard to break stuff you might as well go all in!  I guess I've decided to try to go off the reservation a bit and make lemonade out of lemons.  What else is a physically disabled dude supposed to do with their time, I guess?  I know that doesn't help with a structured guide like STEP at all.  But, maybe it does something for someone somehow. LOL)

Edited by Yirmeyahu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 9:51 PM, z929669 said:

Can anyone report any issues with the updated AOS and this mod?

This is running fine in combination with AOS. I also have this, as per Mousetick's suggestion, installed with the three expansions to AOS and, if anything, sound and it's distribution seems more subtle and balanced ...

It works fine with AOS 3.9+ and the Regional Sounds + Reverb Interior Sounds expansions. The latter improve and add ambient sounds without cluttering the "soundscape", IMHO. I'm enjoying them.

It's true that this mod and Base Object Swapper don't really solve any problem, instead they create new problems of their own. They always "win" and make it practically impossible to resolve conflicts due to undecipherable and incomparable side-by-side file formats. A big step backwards compared to resolving conflicts at a glance in xEdit.

Sound Record Distributor is a misnomer. It patches records and overwrites whatever is there. As if it were a patch plugin sorted with highest priority.

SPID is different. It doesn't overwrite and stomp on anything. It just adds stuff. On the flip side its distribution file format looks like it was designed as a torture tool.

On 12/4/2022 at 6:45 AM, CorneliusC said:

This is running fine in combination with AOS. I also have this, as per Mousetick's suggestion, installed with the three expansions to AOS and, if anything, sound and it's distribution seems more subtle and balanced ...

What specifically are teh "three expansions to AOS"? I see two mods recommended on AOS page.

I would like to test AOS with these expansions:

RECOMMENDATIONS
Audio Overhaul - Immersive Sounds Integration ◈ Immersive Sounds Compendium