DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 173

sheson

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

I agree that the color change is likely caused by the threshold change, since 224 is an extremely high threshold setting. The main point I am trying to make here is that changing the threshold of the NIF utilizing the full texture is not a viable way to control the alpha thickness of the resultant texture on the atlas, and redirection to a custom texture seems to be absolutely necessary to ensure a more closely matching alpha transparency to prevent pop in.

I goofed on this compare for the 128 size texture in saving as BC7. So many variables I'm trying to control to give the perfect test! Here is the 128 size textures used, and the full textures used: https://mega.nz/file/0NoRBZbL#sBLHpI3jO-UjbTIba5buM2axMZ7AkkBiSfoR9DcSkVE

I suggest to compare 2 identical full model trees that only have different threshold values next to each other at varying distances. To get an idea what actually happens by that change alone.

Full Texture, NiAlphaProperty 128 --> Full Texture, NiAlphaProperty 224, no specular on TreeAspen01 --> Full Texture, NiAlphaProperty 224

Full-Texture-Ni-Alpha-Property-128-1.jpg full-texture-alpha-224-no-specular-treea Full-Texture-Ni-Alpha-Property-224-1.jpg 

It turns out I was correct that the errant specular on TreeAspen01 was causing most of the hue shift with the higher NiAlphaProperty.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

I suggest to compare 2 identical full model trees that only have different threshold values next to each other at varying distances. To get an idea what actually happens by that change alone.

I am uncertain what exactly your suggested test is here? If comparing the change within uGridsToLoad, the alpha change in the NIF is going to affect each individual mip by itself, so it is not going to mimic the LOD texture creation exactly, since it only considers the top mip, applying the NiAlphaProperty threshold to that, and then generating mipmaps via fixed threshold after that, which produces the too thick alpha that we are experiencing.

45 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

I am uncertain what exactly your suggested test is here? If comparing the change within uGridsToLoad, the alpha change in the NIF is going to affect each individual mip by itself, so it is not going to mimic the LOD texture creation exactly, since it only considers the top mip, applying the NiAlphaProperty threshold to that, and then generating mipmaps via fixed threshold after that, which produces the too thick alpha that we are experiencing.

We will want to see what really happens with that change alone to the full model - to see if it only affects thickness or anyhting else as well. It will also help to see if changing the order of things for the LOD texture generation matches it better, especially regarding  any brightness or color changes:

https://mega.nz/file/YUJ1DJYZ#T15015iz9xJjcNN6fR3SHq0IHuI9S9dVj5MrhlYTmIs

128.dds = generate mipmaps from 4k texture.
224_old.dds = adjust alpha of 4k texture, generate mipmaps from that.
224_new.dds = generate mipmaps from 4k texture, adjust alpha for each mipmap.

Compare the alpha of the 512 or 256 mipmap resolution. "new" order looks quite thinner, so that seems more like what we want.

37 minutes ago, sheson said:

We will want to see what really happens with that change alone to the full model - to see if it only affects thickness or anyhting else as well. It will also help to see if changing the order of things for the LOD texture generation matches it better:

https://mega.nz/file/YUJ1DJYZ#T15015iz9xJjcNN6fR3SHq0IHuI9S9dVj5MrhlYTmIs

128.dds = generate mipmaps from 4k texture.
224_old.dds = adjust alpha of 4k texture, generate mipmaps from that.
224_new.dds = generate mipmaps from 4k texture, adjust alpha for each mipmap.

Compare the alpha of the 512 or 256 mipmap resolution. new looks quite thinner, so that seems what we want.

I think I understand now. Let me look into this.

It appears that PostImages.org is down right now, so I will directly attach.

So hopefully this is what you were wanting to see:

Original texture from mod --> 244_new.dds --> 244_old.dds --> 128.dds

244 new (2).jpgoriginal texture (2).jpg244 old (2).jpg128 from sheson (2).jpg

244 new (1).jpgoriginal texture (1).jpg244 old (1).jpg128 from sheson (1).jpg

BTW, I used TLL console command to ensure everything is full trees. This is very close, but slightly less alpha. If I were to guess, you numbers are varying NiAlphaProperty thresholds, so this should be able to be adjusted via this method.

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

It appears that PostImages.org is down right now, so I will directly attach.

So hopefully this is what you were wanting to see:

244 new (2).jpgoriginal texture (2).jpg244 old (2).jpg128 from sheson (2).jpg

244 new (1).jpgoriginal texture (1).jpg244 old (1).jpg128 from sheson (1).jpg

BTW, I used TLL console command to ensure everything is full trees. This is very close, but slightly less alpha. If I were to guess, you numbers are varying NiAlphaProperty thresholds, so this should be able to be adjusted via this method.

What is the difference between the upper 4 screenshots and the lower 4 screenshots?

The alpha value of all mipmaps is multiplied by the same 128/threshold factor = 0.5714 in this case.

54 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

The upper screenshots are farther away. The lower screenshots are closer. 

So the last two of each row. The 224_old.dds is with a 128 threshold NiAlphaProperty and the 128.dds is with a 244 threshold NiAlphaProperty?

40 minutes ago, sheson said:

So the last two of each row. The 224_old.dds is with a 128 threshold NiAlphaProperty and the 128.dds is with a 244 threshold NiAlphaProperty?

I left NiAlphaProperty at 128 for all tests. I simply changed out the full texture with the provided texture in each case. Let me audit my screenshots to ensure that I have this in the right order. I think I mixed up the first two somehow...

Edit:

Okay, so I evidently mixed up 1 and 2 in each set.

original texture (2).jpg244 new (2).jpg244 old (2).jpg128 from sheson (2).jpg

original texture (1).jpg244 new (1).jpg244 old (1).jpg128 from sheson (1).jpg

36 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

I left NiAlphaProperty at 128 for all tests. I simply changed out the full texture with the provided texture in each case. Let me audit my screenshots to ensure that I have this in the right order. I think I mixed up the first two somehow.

The models that use the orginal/not adjusted texture 128.dds should have an alpha threshold of 224, while the models that use adjusted 224_* textures should have an alpha property of 128 - the one LOD is hardcoded to use.

34 minutes ago, sheson said:

The models that use the orginal/not adjusted texture 128.dds should have an alpha threshold of 224, while the models that use adjusted 224_* textures should have an alpha property of 128 - the one LOD is hardcoded to use.

Okay. Let me get this for you. Please see my edit though, as I mixed up 1 and 2 in my previous post accidentally.

1. Original texture from mod with 128 NiAlphaProperty
  2. 128.dds with 224 NiAlphaProperty
  3. 244_new.dds with 128 NiAlphaProperty
  4. 244_old.dds with 128 NiAlphaProperty
  5. 128.dds with 128 NiAlphaProperty

original texture (2).jpg128 with 224 NiAlphaProperty (1).jpg244 new (2).jpg244 old (2).jpg128 from sheson (2).jpg

original texture (1).jpg128 with 224 NiAlphaProperty (2).jpg244 new (1).jpg244 old (1).jpg128 from sheson (1).jpg

I humbly apologize for interjecting here (this is a fascinating and valuable discussion) with an update on my end.

I reverted TexGen settings to those listed in the 2.0 version of the guide.

TexGen_HD.thumb.png.25be2e564ba6381d0dfa795d2de6051f.png

And DynDOLOD to settings in the default DynDOLOD_SSE.ini and and also the generation settings in version 2.0 of the guide.

; grass LOD brightness multipliers
GrassBrightnessTopR=0.400
GrassBrightnessTopG=0.445
GrassBrightnessTopB=0.450
; make bottom darker to fake shadowing
GrassBrightnessBottomR=0.200
GrassBrightnessBottomG=0.223
GrassBrightnessBottomB=0.225

DynDOLOD_Configured.thumb.png.3c7e413fd0ecb65751f672dfc2a0e734.png

And this is the result. (back to where I started, it appears)

20220827110204_1.thumb.jpg.42025a3de1a683e9479686be39c0eafb.jpg

Without enhancing my understanding of exactly what happens when any of these settings are changed, I'm satisfied with the look for now.

[edit] I neglected to mention (though it may be clear from the fact I'm using cached grass) I'm using game engine version 1.5.97

Edited by Mephitic
Added game version info

3 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

original texture (2).jpg128 with 224 NiAlphaProperty (1).jpg244 new (2).jpg244 old (2).jpg128 from sheson (2).jpg

original texture (1).jpg128 with 224 NiAlphaProperty (2).jpg244 new (1).jpg244 old (1).jpg128 from sheson (1).jpg

Thanks. I will need to look at this some more in the coming days. I still would expect it to match better. The 244_new.dds seems to be dull compared to the 128.dds with 224 NiAlphaProperty for some reason and that doesn't seem right with me why that would even be the case.