Projectile range

16 minutes ago, anonymouselbow said:

I tried sniping with a bow but it seems the arrows simply disappear because when I eventually cleared the area I could find no arrows anywhere from all the missed shots.

Which INI sets the range and how far do I need to set it so the arrows don't disappear?

DY would know offhand, but it is in our Skyrim INI guide (or SkyrimPrefs.ini guide linked there as well).

Actor fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist seems to be the setting and mine was already set to 14000.0000 and the suggestions I found through general search is 12288 so I don't know what to think.  Should I change is to exactly 12288 because more isn't always better context or something else occurred.

Edited by anonymouselbow

I'll try 20272, but does the actual number matter for the factor multiplier?

How could I measure the units of the distance I was sniping from?  I suspect I wasn't that far away.

The scenario was Missing In Action quest and I tried sniping the Thalmor in and around Northwatch Keep.  I first tried targeting the guard at the right side gate (East?) from a position further east and a bit north on the other side of the water.  That being unsuccessful I moved a little closer to the same land as the building and further north.

I was able to snipe all 7 guards eventually, but finding the sweet spot where my arrows actually hit was tricky, creeping in one step further to try another shot.

The final 2 guards inside the walls on the ground level I shot from outside the south/main entrance through/under the arch.

Their behavior of some of the guards when being hit but not killed in one-shot was they did not even enter alert mode which I thought was strange.

Maybe there is different behavior at different locations?

Edited by anonymouselbow

Factor multiplier? 20272 just is large enough that if it is within uGridsToLoad, it should hit. I mention bUseNavMeshForMovement=1, because in original Skyrim, where people actually used the tweak, it was set to 1, whereas nowadays it is set to 0. I'm unsure that fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist actually does anything while bUseNavMeshForMovement is set to 0.

I meant grid multiplier of 4096 since I had 14000.

I feel like I was inside one grid of 4096 though, but maybe I was just on the border and as my bUseNavMeshForMovement is 0 then 14000 was not recognized. 

I see the other setting fNotVisibleNavmeshMoveDist is set at 2048, half of the default of fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist.  Wondering what that does because maybe I was around that distance of 2048 when trying to snipe.

Edited by anonymouselbow

Note that recent-ish versions of Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch includes an INI file (that overrides Skyrim.ini) with these settings. The fVisibileNavmeshMoveDist setting is used to correct long-range bow shots not doing any damage.

[Audio]
uMaxSizeForCachedSound=4096

[Actor]
fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=12288.0000