Relationship Dialogue Overhaul - Update and MCM (by mnikjom)

TechAngel85

• 3 weeks later...
  • This mod fixes a crashing bug in RDO with the Traveling Noble encounter quest by reverting the RDO changes to vanilla.

It's recommended not to use the RDO - CRF patch from Useless Patches Collection because the forwards it makes from RDO re-introduce this bug. The remainder of that patch is not necessary when CRF loads after RDO, which is the case when using LOOT. I'd suggest removing that patch from the FOMOD selection.

• There is an optional file 'Relationship Dialogue Overhaul - UHDAP Patch' in this mod which can be installed to 'upgrade' some of the RDO voice lines to UHDAP quality, similar to Guard Dialogue Overhaul - UHDAP Patch with GDO.

4 hours ago, Mousetick said:
  • This mod fixes a crashing bug in RDO with the Traveling Noble encounter quest by reverting the RDO changes to vanilla.

It's recommended not to use the RDO - CRF patch from Useless Patches Collection because the forwards it makes from RDO re-introduce this bug. The remainder of that patch is not necessary when CRF loads after RDO, which is the case when using LOOT. I'd suggest removing that patch from the FOMOD selection.

• There is an optional file 'Relationship Dialogue Overhaul - UHDAP Patch' in this mod which can be installed to 'upgrade' some of the RDO voice lines to UHDAP quality, similar to Guard Dialogue Overhaul - UHDAP Patch with GDO.

RDO includes an optional patch as well: RDO - CRF and USSEP Patches Final ... According to the author of this mod, that isn't needed or wanted.

I can confirm LOOT load order places CRF after RDO

This mod's descriptions makes reference to "RDO Lite", which i assume meansthis mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/42068

This mod also has a few bug reports that are unaddressed for months now ... they may not be valid, IDK.

So it sounds like you are saying that you think we should be installing RDO without it's patch, remove the UPC CRF-RDO patch, and install this mod's patch.

2 hours ago, z929669 said:

RDO includes an optional patch as well: RDO - CRF and USSEP Patches Final ... According to the author of this mod, that isn't needed or wanted.

Right. This patch is not used by the guide, but may have been partially included in the Step CR Patch, I don't know.

I noticed the Step CR Patch makes a few edits to RDO dialog text for compatibility with USSEP's capitalization (e.g. Jarl > jarl) and punctuation changes (e.g. "me too" > "me, too"). These edits are incomplete - there remain dialog lines in RDO that don't match USSEP's (arbitrary and bothersome, IMHO) writing style changes. I'd suggest

• Either complete the edits in the Step CR Patch to cover all discrepancies with USSEP - good luck with that.
  • Or remove the edits from the Step CR Patch, and remove RDO as a master - which would be a plus in my view.
2 hours ago, z929669 said:

This mod also has a few bug reports that are unaddressed for months now ... they may not be valid, IDK.

Yeah.

1. Missing script: it is missing and appears to be referenced by quests in the plugin. Whether that's causing actual breakage in-game, I can't tell. At best, it may just cause spam in the Papyrus log.
  2. Dirty edits: there are deleted references in the plugin. Should not cause any issue unless another mod uses them (unlikely, as they are unique to RDO). Can be safely cleaned with xEdit I think.
  3. Follower 'Wait here' bug: no clue.

That superficially doesn't look too good.

4 hours ago, z929669 said:

So it sounds like you are saying that you think we should be installing RDO without it's patch, remove the UPC CRF-RDO patch, and install this mod's patch.

Right. Assuming this mod is deemed worth including in the guide. But the UPC CRF-RDO patch can be omitted whether this mod is used or not, to avoid the crashing bug in RDO: loading CRF after RDO as LOOT does, "overrides" the bug, while using the patch puts it back.

It looks like this MA may be juggling too many mods (156 SSE mods) at once and can't keep up with everything. Case in point: this is the same MA for both this mod and UPC. And yet he says in a sticky post

CRF, according to Arthmoor (and my own tests), doesn't require any patches for RDO. Just make sure to load RDO before CRF.

while providing a CRF-RDO patch in his Useless Patch Collection :blink:

• 2 months later...

I don't think we'll be including this one because it is broken in its current state. The author is still active, according to their activity, but the issues on this mod have been left to set for months and months without even a peep from the author (regardless of how many mods they have). That tells me this mod has been abandoned, at least for the time being. I'll take a look at the patches.

I'd recommend switching to RDO Lite which had already been suggested before. This slimmed down "lite" version keeps all the dialogue changes while removing all the cruft from the original mod. I've been using it in my modified STEP 2.0 build. Very little to no conflict resolution patching necessary when sorting with LOOT. Separate compatibility patches are not needed either (not even the AI Overhaul compatibility patch despite what the mod description page tells us, at least in my experience).

17 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

I'd recommend switching to RDO Lite which had already been suggested before. This slimmed down "lite" version keeps all the dialogue changes while removing all the cruft from the original mod. I've been using it in my modified STEP 2.0 build. Very little to no conflict resolution patching necessary when sorting with LOOT. Separate compatibility patches are not needed either (not even the AI Overhaul compatibility patch despite what the mod description page tells us, at least in my experience).

Does any mod requiring RDO works with RDO Lite?