Faction Fixes SE (by acidzebra)

TechAngel85

The reason we switched to this mod is that is was far less patching at the time vs the other mod we had that did this: NARC, be to specific, if I'm remembering correctly. I want to say there was one more mod that did similar things, but Faction Fixes was the least invasive of them all. If there is a single issue with a single faction we can report it to the author or even correct it ourselves.

It's rather dramatic to drop a mod over a single issue with the vampire factions, which is all that has been brought up thus far. We would typically report to the author before making such moves over small issues. 

4 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

The reason we switched to this mod is that is was far less patching at the time vs the other mod we had that did this: NARC, be to specific, if I'm remembering correctly. I want to say there was one more mod that did similar things, but Faction Fixes was the least invasive of them all.

You're confusing this mod with Critters Aint Snitches. This mod is something else entirely.

The name 'Faction Fixes' is a misnomer. There are no bugs to begin with and this mod doesn't fix anything. A more appropriate name would be 'Faction Refinements' or more clearly, 'Baddies no longer attack and chase random animals/creatures'.

The mod's basic premise that

The different factions in Skyrim fight each other in much the same way as they do in Vanilla (minimal change), minus a lot of random animal slaughter.

sounds good in theory, but as is often the case, the MA went overboard and overkill.

4 hours ago, TechAngel85 said:

If there is a single issue with a single faction we can report it to the author or even correct it ourselves.

It's rather dramatic to drop a mod over a single issue with the vampire factions, which is all that has been brought up thus far. We would typically report to the author before making such moves over small issues. 

If only we could. This mod's comments and bugs sections are closed and have been for as long as I can remember. That's a big red flag in my book. Nobody has any idea how well or bad this mod works for other users in a variety of load orders.

"Small issues"? There's a game-breaking bug that may be encountered late in a playthrough, and that can't be fixed post-facto because the changes are baked into the save game.

Other issues have been reported over time in this topic and other topics.

Instead of asking why this mod should be dropped, we could be asking why is this mod in the guide in the first place. How do you plan to support it if you can't remember what it does or how it works, and Z is not familiar with it, and the MA doesn't support it themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

You're confusing this mod with Critters Aint Snitches. This mod is something else entirely.

Ah, you're right.

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

Instead of asking why this mod should be dropped, we could be asking why is this mod in the guide in the first place. How do you plan to support it if you can't remember what it does or how it works, and Z is not familiar with it, and the MA doesn't support it themselves.

Now that I'm refreshed, the mod was included because the premise of the mod, as you pointed out, is good. Was it tested? Absolutely and as reported by DY no issues have been found during our playtime. That doesn't mean issues don't exist. Mods that are added are never tested for every scenario considering we are often a one man team when it comes to Guide Curation.

Fact of the matter is I've stopped playing Skyrim. I'm a bit "over it" after 10+ years. Thus, when it comes to Skyrim, I have shifted to managing and updating mods. Z has been the main Curator for the SkyrimSE Guide so it would ultimately be his decision on what to do. If the author isn't supporting the mod any longer, then it would obviously be best to drop it or replace it.

As staff, it always good for us to keep in mind such mods fit our criteria for Stewardship, which would allow us to fix any issues ourselves.

It sounds like it's seconded, so I'll mark it as testing again in the interim. It would be great if someone could update the wiki mod page as seems prudent, given the feedback and savegame bake effect. Otherwise, I'll address this as well over the coming weekend.